Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #29

Grand Design Owners Club
Yup. We prefer a queen also. Easier to get around to make up and most have a small shelf/night stand. Need to be able to pick features from several to build the ideal one for yourself.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #30

My 27'10" 5er has a GVWR of 11,400 lbs with 4315 lbs for CCC. Good luck finding that in an Indiana build.
Anyway one thing that puts Creeks above the rest for me is the hung walls.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:06 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a king in mine, after a queen in the airstream, the wife was about the king lol... and it was a deal killer... (happy wife and all )

I felt the airstream bedroom with the queen was a lot tighter than the GP with one slide and a king. I think maybe it was the low and curved ceiling with very little space to each side when you walked in.

I don't yet feel cramped in the Glacier peak bedroom with the king at all, feels roomy (enough) to me by comparison. Having that BIG closet right there at your fingertips too means an easy place to put things you might have normally dumped on the floor of the airstream, like your shoes, or what have you.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #32

Grand Design Owners Club
Update after a month

Well - still looking. What we have found is this is more a process of elimination than selection. And 35 footers are tough in the better builds and trying to stay under $100k MSRP. Right now Cardinal 3350RLX is leading the pack. Then you see a post about how bad Forest River products are. Ugh. Plan to look again at Vilano and Solitude this weekend to confirm they don't fit our desires.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #33

Vilano's are nice. Never owned one but have been in several at RV shows. FWIW the wife doesn't really comment much. But when she walked the Vilano's she mentioned how much nicer it seemed inside. The cabinetry is nicer IMO.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
Well - still looking. What we have found is this is more a process of elimination than selection. And 35 footers are tough in the better builds and trying to stay under $100k MSRP. Right now Cardinal 3350RLX is leading the pack. Then you see a post about how bad Forest River products are. Ugh. Plan to look again at Vilano and Solitude this weekend to confirm they don't fit our desires.
I would offer a counter point for your consideration.....and it is based on personal experiences over the last 5 years.

We bought a Mobile Suites in 2013 and an Arctic Fox in Jan, 2017. Both had major issues. The difference between them was DRV refused to fix their issues and this was before the Thor buyout. The Northwood factory stepped up and fixed everything we requested with no questions asked. We traded the AF for a Forest River Riverstone as we wanted a larger coach.

The RiverStone has been nearly perfect. Except for replacing the water pump and batteries ing the electronic door locks, it has been fault free.

I too was hesitant to buy a FR product because of their reputation, but after a lot of research, particularly fom those who own them and researching RiverStone construction, we took a chance. We live in it full time and are happy owners. My guess is that I would be less happy if I depended on FR for fixing things under waranty.

I do not think the frame on this unit is as good or as strong as either FR or Northwood. I would be hesitant to beat this unit up and down the Alcan several times. But for us it is nearly perfect.

We just recently bought an ORV Blackrock 20 RD for our adventures. This purchase choice was primarily based on my experience with and other owners experience with factory attitude and service. I will never own another DRV product.

Again, my experience and opinion. Good luck with whatever you buy!
Old 03-21-2018, 09:23 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I like the cardinal's.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #36

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I like the cardinal's.
So I hear. You're earlier posts are the main reason we looked at one. The 3250 at about a foot shorter would be better except don't care for the arrangement of the kitchen/entertainment slide.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #37

Quote:
This thread got me doing more looking and I finally think I found what I like best and looks to be an excellent value, and that is the K-Z Durango line. A couple of separate suggestions to look at them as good units and good value intrigued me.
There are 3 separate lines, 1500, 2500 and Gold. In the Gold, I like the 355 other than the king bed and 36' length. It is wide-body and is the full time line. I believe you can request a queen to replace the king bed. With the right dealer, it looks like the mid 50s in price.
The 2500 series is the extended stay line. It is not wide body, comes with a queen, but a king bed is optional. The 318 model looks about perfect for us, is just under 35' and can be had for under $50K.
From what I've read of the Durango line, KZ stays away from high end bling and focuses on quality and value. Both the 2500 and Gold lines are full profile, but at 12'9" for the 2500 and 13' for the Gold, they are not as high as most full profile units. That means few clearance problems and a smaller wind profile. They both have the more aerodynamic max turn front cap as well.
A new review from FMCA can be seen here for the Gold 384 model. https://www.kz-rv.com/news/

There is a year old review from Trailer Life about the debut of the 384. A Touch of Gold | www.trailerlife.com
That was the 2017 model year and the only dislike was the plastic faucet in the bath sink. The 2018 replaced that with a residential faucet so KZ was listening.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
This thread got me doing more looking and I finally think I found what I like best and looks to be an excellent value, and that is the K-Z Durango line. A couple of separate suggestions to look at them as good units and good value intrigued me.
There are 3 separate lines, 1500, 2500 and Gold. In the Gold, I like the 355 other than the king bed and 36' length. It is wide-body and is the full time line. I believe you can request a queen to replace the king bed. With the right dealer, it looks like the mid 50s in price.
The 2500 series is the extended stay line. It is not wide body, comes with a queen, but a king bed is optional. The 318 model looks about perfect for us, is just under 35' and can be had for under $50K.
From what I've read of the Durango line, KZ stays away from high end bling and focuses on quality and value. Both the 2500 and Gold lines are full profile, but at 12'9" for the 2500 and 13' for the Gold, they are not as high as most full profile units. That means few clearance problems and a smaller wind profile. They both have the more aerodynamic max turn front cap as well.
A new review from FMCA can be seen here for the Gold 384 model. https://www.kz-rv.com/news/

There is a year old review from Trailer Life about the debut of the 384. A Touch of Gold | www.trailerlife.com
That was the 2017 model year and the only dislike was the plastic faucet in the bath sink. The 2018 replaced that with a residential faucet so KZ was listening.
I looked briefly at the Durango Gold, and I liked what I saw at first blush. I never did dig into them real hard, only because I liked the ORV so much.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Thanks. And I hear ya. Your posts seem well thought out and informative. We're just west of Austin and do hot weather camping as well. I actually like the AF 32-5m but wife not crazy about floor plan , and no dealer close to see one. I agree on islands but tough to find 5er without one. Actually prefer a peninsula. So we are at 37' loa absolute max. Opposing LR slides. TV at proper angle to seating. Good windows with with visibility out rear. Bed slide. Upgraded bath w decent sized shower. More storage. Undercarriage I can go down the road and not worry about.
The Durango Gold G353RKT has a kitchen peninsula instead of an island and is 36'.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote