Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2022, 09:03 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I'd like to weigh in on this but I'm going to scale back my thoughts.

I cured my weight issues and bought a 3500 SRW to tow a 9600lb TT.

4558lbs for CCC. I don't own enough stuff to overload it. Feels good when towing knowing I'm weigh under my trucks capacities. Legal or not.
Well, that takes a load off your shoulders.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2022, 01:53 PM   #86

Quote:
Per CA law that I looked at yesterday, there are certainly limits on how much a vehicle can tow. I assume the other criteria CHIP mentions is the California Vehicle Code on weights:
My reply from the chip email was to confirm gvwr isn't used in CA for weights issues.
Nor did the 13 states I pulled my service trailers with a dot number in.

Other criteria the CVO talked about:

**Section 21715(b) CVC prohibits a motor vehicle under 4,000 pounds
unladen from towing any vehicle weighing 6,000 pounds or more gross
weight. This section would apply to smaller pickups and Sport Utility
Vehicles attempting to tow large trailers.

Section 1085(d) of Title 13 California Code of Regulations prohibits
the loading of tires above the maximum load rating marked on the tire,
or if unmarked the maximum load rating as specified in the applicable
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, or in a publication furnished to
the public by the tire manufacturer. This would most likely happen in
the case of a pickup truck towing a large fifth wheel travel trailer, as
those types of trailers tend to transfer a larger portion of their
weight to the last axle of the towing unit causing that axle to exceed
the tire load limits.

Section 24002(a) CVC prohibits a vehicle or combination of vehicles
which is in an unsafe condition or which is not safely loaded and which
presents an immediate safety hazard from operating on the highway. This
section provides officers the authority to stop a vehicle or combination
of vehicles that is, in the officer’s opinion, unsafe to operate on
the highway. This section could be used to prohibit a driver from
continuing until the unsafe condition is fixed.**

The CVO talks about the trucks last axle carrying the heavy load causing that axles tires to exceed its load limits.
Keep in mind tire load limits on the trucks last axle are a function of the trucks gawr. In other words that last axle may have a 7230 rawr so mounting a 19.5" tires and wheels on the truck won't gain any more legal weight than the OEM tires.

Many other states weight codes use wording like "tire load rating" instead of a fawr/rawr/gawr. Which makes sense as a tire is the weak linkbetween gawrs (axle/wheels/tires/brakes/suspensions.)
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 01:58 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Section 24002(a) CVC prohibits a vehicle or combination of vehicles
which is in an unsafe condition or which is not safely loaded and which
presents an immediate safety hazard from operating on the highway. This
section provides officers the authority to stop a vehicle or combination
of vehicles that is, in the officer’s opinion, unsafe to operate on
the highway. This section could be used to prohibit a driver from
continuing until the unsafe condition is fixed.**
I like this section. Gives the police leeway to pull over stupid people.
1200W Solar > 412 aH LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 02:43 PM   #88

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
Just making sure I understand this. I was looking at a F250 4x4 truck and some fivers today.

The truck is a F250 with the 6.7 diesel, the salesman says I can tow anything (up to 22,500lbs)....it's a car salesman and I don't trust what I'm seeing.

On a test drive I took the truck over to some CAT scales, I posted the weight below, we did have four people in the truck and 1/2 tank of fuel. Truck actually weighed in at 8,300lbs, I'm guessing full of fuel with only two people and the fiver hitch and maybe a few extra small things the weight may be close (lets just use the 8,300).

The door tag says I can have a GVWR of 10,000lbs, if I'm thinking correctly this means I can only have a hitch weight (pin weight) of 1,700lbs.

Is this correct? That would limit many of the fivers I looked at today.

I'm trying hard to stay within the specs as stated by the manufacturer, no comments please that say I tow xxxx or it will pull anything. Answers based on numbers please!

Thx,
Steve

Get rid of the 4X4. There is no way that truck can pull a 5er thru the terrain where you need a 4X4.
Old 03-06-2022, 02:45 PM   #89

Quote:
Thank you for the replies....on to a different truck *after* we find the perfect 5th wheel.

Steve
Smart move. One thing to remember is that a 4wd truck will have a lower weight rating than a 2nd due to added running gear weights.
Coach #10984
apatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 03:03 PM   #90

Mid Atlantic Campers
7 pages and the OP knew the answer on the first page when he asked the question. DRW truck doesn't matter what brand for the weight you're looking at. Safe travels
birddog2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 03:33 PM   #91

Quote:
Just making sure I understand this. I was looking at a F250 4x4 truck and some fivers today.

The truck is a F250 with the 6.7 diesel, the salesman says I can tow anything (up to 22,500lbs)....it's a car salesman and I don't trust what I'm seeing.

On a test drive I took the truck over to some CAT scales, I posted the weight below, we did have four people in the truck and 1/2 tank of fuel. Truck actually weighed in at 8,300lbs, I'm guessing full of fuel with only two people and the fiver hitch and maybe a few extra small things the weight may be close (lets just use the 8,300).

The door tag says I can have a GVWR of 10,000lbs, if I'm thinking correctly this means I can only have a hitch weight (pin weight) of 1,700lbs.

I'm trying hard to stay within the specs as stated by the manufacturer, no comments please that say I tow xxxx or it will pull anything. Answers based on numbers please!

Thx,
Steve
Hi
GVW refers to vehicle only. Total Max weight can not exceed 26,000 lbs, Vehicle plus trailer
so if your gvw is 10,000l lbs then you can legally tow up to 16,000 lbs
once you hit 26,001 lbs. it requires a CDL Licence.
gaffa51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 03:40 PM   #92

THE FORD weight capacity charts for EVERY year

Quote:

Thx,
Steve
Go to the source for Ford Truck towing capacities follow the isntructions for the year you are looking at.
THE location for towing information from FORD

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos...or-my-vehicle/

For a 2022

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...t_r3_Feb21.pdf

See page 26 of the 2022 year

Page 45

F250 Max Trailer with trailer towing package
F-250 with Trailer Tow Package/F-350 SRW Diesel 4x4 160" 164" 176" 21,200 Max trailer 2,120 Max tongue
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 03:50 PM   #93

Quote:

Thx,
Steve
this is the wrong sticker to be concerned about, look at the Yellow sticker above or below the one you showed
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 03:54 PM   #94

Fords stickers sucks. GM tells you all of the towing info.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 04:37 PM   #95

That's the way to go at it. Find your 5er, then get a truck that can handle it. Once you know your pin weight, you'll understand the need for a 350/3500 DRW!! Especially if you get a 5er your wife likes!
Brian Rhoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 04:42 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by apatz View Post
Smart move. One thing to remember is that a 4wd truck will have a lower weight rating than a 2nd due to added running gear weights.
It can also easily get stuck in wet grass.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 04:52 PM   #97

Quote:

Thx,
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
this is the wrong sticker to be concerned about, look at the Yellow sticker above or below the one you showed
I am sorry, but Steve was looking at the correct sticker!
He had scaled the truck, took the scaled weight from the GVWR to see what payload he had left!
The Yellow Sticker (Payload) is only 100% accurate as the truck left the assembly line, and mostly accurate sitting on the dealers lot, for comparison to other trucks.
The sticker that Steve was looking at has FAR More useful information, it list GVWR and Front and Rear GAWR, it also has the tire size.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 06:16 PM   #98

Ford calculates payload assuming there is a 150 lb driver and no one else in the vehicle.

As I recall, the 4WDs have the highest towing capacity, so the reason to get one is tow more, not necessarily go 4-wheeling.

I went through all this arithmetic months ago and bought a Class A and a 2-door Jeep Wrangler (for my DW) as a toad. That way I don’t have to fuel the diesel for local sightseeing.

Tags
weight