Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2005, 09:15 AM   #1

Just bought a used fifth wheel, now I have to hook up a plug on the truck and brake controller.

What guage wire should I use?
And where should the wires start from and end up?
I see pretty diagrams on sites showing the tow vehicle and trailer end, with colours, but not what guage wire or where to start taking feed from, like where does the battery charging wire start from and where is the best place to get into the light circuits and such.

Sorry it is a 77 F-250
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2005, 09:15 AM   #2

Just bought a used fifth wheel, now I have to hook up a plug on the truck and brake controller.

What guage wire should I use?
And where should the wires start from and end up?
I see pretty diagrams on sites showing the tow vehicle and trailer end, with colours, but not what guage wire or where to start taking feed from, like where does the battery charging wire start from and where is the best place to get into the light circuits and such.

Sorry it is a 77 F-250
Old 07-26-2005, 05:37 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
partsman you willneed 10 ga. for the batt chg circuit and ground wire but for the rest I would use 12 ga. I would go to the battery for the chg. wire with a fuse at that location.Start with a 40 amp fuse but I wouldnt go any smaller. Hope this helps. Enjoy that camper.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:23 PM   #4

Thiswebsite has all the information you need to wire your truck and trailer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:16 AM   #5

Thanks that is all good info, just printed off the colour picture here at work, don't want to use my own ink.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:54 PM   #6

Use a 30 amp auto reset breaker at the battery ,available at RV store looks like one inch x half inch two post one steel one brass hook up brass side to battery steel to plug for trailer. Skipper entry level over fifty years.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:57 PM   #7

I have access to lots of breakers, but they are either manual resets or they do not have the mounting bracket, so will actually have to go spend my own money.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:47 PM   #8
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey partsman - you not trying to do this on the cheap are you

Old 08-09-2005, 08:36 AM   #9

Kinda, don't like spending too much.
Anyway, everything is up and running, had a good weekend trip to try it out on.
Only did 159 miles round trip, but good for getting to see how things are working.
Am going to drop the hitch head two inches, as it is a little high at the front when towing.