Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2021, 03:23 PM   #1

Higher End 5er

I went and walked around the lot yesterday to look at some fifth wheels. I want to upgrade in the future. I want to explore some floor plans. With that in mind, what fifth wheels are like the Jayco Pinnacle? That is the high end Jayco, correct?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
DrTFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2021, 07:23 PM   #2

The Pinacle models are Jayco’s top of the line. Regardless of the name brand - find a floor plan you like with features and finishes you like, and be prepared and resigned to fix stuff yourself. I drove my Chevy truck off the lot 45,000 miles ago and (knock on wood) it has been flawless. In my experience and the experience of good folks on this forum and others - RVs tend to NOT be flawless no matter what name is on the badge…so pick one you like and enjoy it. The forums and the knowledge here will be a great help.
MikenDebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:49 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTFlo View Post
I went and walked around the lot yesterday to look at some fifth wheels. I want to upgrade in the future. I want to explore some floor plans. With that in mind, what fifth wheels are like the Jayco Pinnacle? That is the high end Jayco, correct?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
If considering a Heartland the top of their units are Landmark and Big Horn. The top toy haulers from Heartland are Cyclone and Road Warrior.
But like suggested find the floor plan you like and that works for you, then find the brand you would like to own.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you truly want a higher end 5er, move up from the Jayco. Look at Mobile Suites (DRV), Luxe and New Horizon.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #5

You can add Riverstone at the bottom tier of the high end 5th wheels too.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:38 PM   #6
JDT

It depends on what you mean by higher vs high end. Yes, the Pinnacle is Jayco's high end fifth wheel but I would consider it higher end in the general market. Highest end would probably be New Horizon, with Luxe not far behind and maybe Mobile Suites and Riverstone after that. There are a few others out there that I can't remember right now that do custom fifth wheels, for a price, of course.

We've had our Pinnacle for over a year now and the only structural related issue we had was the kitchen slide needed an adjustment. We did have an a/c fail early on which is a component supplied to Jayco, not their fault. We've found it to be a very comfortable and so far well put together fifth wheel. We had an Excel prior to the Pinnacle which was also considered "higher" end. We actually like the Pinnacle better.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:10 PM   #7

I would consider most any full time rated 5er to be higher end. Not top end just high end.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I would consider most any full time rated 5er to be higher end. Not top end just high end.
Full-time rated? I didn't know there was such a thing. I thought that "full-time" technically voided the warrant. I know there are many that are full-time and that is fine. But, I did not know there was a designation for RVs.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Full-time rated? I didn't know there was such a thing. I thought that "full-time" technically voided the warrant. I know there are many that are full-time and that is fine. But, I did not know there was a designation for RVs.
It's an industry/marketing term and carries no weight, kind of like "4 Season." You are correct that some specifically exclude "full time" from the warranty, although what that actually means is a moving target.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #10

Quote:
All the major brands have Full Time rated 5th wheels. What it means for each brand is different, but it separates the mid to high end units from each other.
Being Full Time rated doesn't mean better quality it just means that owners won't be denied warranty repairs while living in it full time.
For the most part Full Time rated 5ers are much nicer overall than non rated ones.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #11

As other have stated, it is not clear what you are asking.

Are you asking about what is "high end" in mass produced RV's or actual high end RV's? Those really are 2 different things with 2 different price points.

As stated most mass produced lines have a high end line that is full time rated. Most of these use the same or very similar components to built their units. There are only a few companies that make the items used to build an RV. These you go to the RV lot and pick one out. Some have a few modifications that can be made if you custom order.

Then you truly have high end units like DRV, Luxe, New Horizons and Spacecraft. Some have "stock" models but with most you design what you want and they build it.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 04:53 AM   #12

I would second to take a look at the River Stone line, entry level is the Reserve then the next step up is the River Stone but you can add the Legacy package for most of the upgrades, we have had ours since 2016 and it has held up great with only a few minor issues. We have also had great support from the factory when needed. Good luck on your search.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
I would second to take a look at the River Stone line, entry level is the Reserve then the next step up is the River Stone but you can add the Legacy package for most of the upgrades, we have had ours since 2016 and it has held up great with only a few minor issues. We have also had great support from the factory when needed. Good luck on your search.
I've scoured the Forest River website and warranty docs and don't see where this is "full time certified." It only mentions "extended stays." I know you didn't claim it, but it was mentioned above that all the major brands have "full-time certified" but they all seem to say "extended stay approved" or wording of that sort.
This is standard wording and its a get out of jail free card for manfacturers. "Warrantor expressly disclaims any responsibility for damage to the unit where
damage is due to condensation, normal wear and tear or exposure to elements." Expsure to the elements? Um,OK.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Thanks guys. These are produces that I am not familiar with. Might be a little pricey for me right now. But, something to look at. I want a good set up in the next year or so. I am getting ready to retire and the Mrs. and I are going to go full-time for a few years. We want a nice, comfortable rig and truck when we start out. Been RVing for seven years and have moved up progressively. Now we are ready for a newer set up (after prices come back to earth).