Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2022, 09:14 PM   #1

Hitch

I have a F250, at some point the previous owner must have run a gooseneck. There is a solid steel plate mounted under the bed. I'm gonna have a hitch place taken look at it, but I woukd like to get a hitch that attaches to the ball so I don't have to mess with in bed rails as I use this truck for my job. I have looked at the Demco Recon, as it is light weight which is also good for me, but I have heard of issues with it. Any other hitches out there you all could recommend?
bowhunter72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2022, 08:13 AM   #2
Community Moderator

So you want a Gooseneck-to-5th Wheel Trailer Hitch Adapter for Recessed Ball with a low profile base which allows hitch removal from the base like the Demco Recon? https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-a...DM8550046.html? For options might check with the fifth wheel hich manufacturers including Reese, Curt, B&W, etc. AND etrailer.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:14 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Be careful using a goose neck hitch on a 5th wheel trailer. The trailer manufacturer will void any warranty on the structure of the trailer. Lippert will allow the use of a Reese GooseBall pin box on their frames.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:36 AM   #4

PullRite, B&W, Andersen Ultimate all make hitches that attach directly to the gooseneck ball.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:49 PM   #5

Hitch

I know the OP said he wanted a ball-mounted hitch but… This new hitch from Curt is a one person install at 60#. You have to add aftermarket rails but it may be a good solution for you. You may not have to mess with the custom plate that’s installed underneath your existing truck. https://store.lci1.com/crosswing-lig...lbs-2022068582
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
I know the OP said he wanted a ball-mounted hitch but… This new hitch from Curt is a one person install at 60#. You have to add aftermarket rails but it may be a good solution for you. You may not have to mess with the custom plate that’s installed underneath your existing truck. https://store.lci1.com/crosswing-lig...lbs-2022068582
It is possible you just have the gooseneck ball. There are a few mfg that provide just the ball that can be added w/o removing the bed. As long as you don't use a rotating hitch you should be good as there are several mfg that have adapters/hitches that can connect to a gooseball. If you want to use a rotating pin box you should add the factory puck system. You can get one from either Ford or Reese.
dave22554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:23 PM   #7

What do you guys say goodbye I pull right 2600 for a 1 ton short bed? 6’6”
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:42 PM   #8

Sorry guys, I was talking into the phone without my glasses. What I’m asking is what do you guys think of a Pull Rite 2600 in a 1 ton single wheel short bed? 6‘6“… I’ll be pulling a Montana high country
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
I like that but the rails in the bed are the issue, i use my truck for work and have lumber in it all the time.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave22554 View Post
It is possible you just have the gooseneck ball. There are a few mfg that provide just the ball that can be added w/o removing the bed. As long as you don't use a rotating hitch you should be good as there are several mfg that have adapters/hitches that can connect to a gooseball. If you want to use a rotating pin box you should add the factory puck system. You can get one from either Ford or Reese.
Man, i have no clue what some of that is. It would be nice if we had a hitch place around here but we dont. I may have to head to Portland or Eugene and find someone there to walk me through it. I would not mind a rail mount as long as the rails can come out fairly easy
Old 07-31-2022, 11:49 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
B&W Turnover Ball, mounts under bed no in bed rails. Search for your truck year.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...BWGNRC900.html
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter72 View Post
Man, i have no clue what some of that is. It would be nice if we had a hitch place around here but we dont. I may have to head to Portland or Eugene and find someone there to walk me through it. I would not mind a rail mount as long as the rails can come out fairly easy
Call or chat with eTrailer they are very helpful. As far as the rail mount systems, they are not designed to be removed easily. If you you don't want to use a rotating pin box there are a few options for a gooseball installation without removing the bed. There are also a number of hitches both heavier and light options for connecting a king pin adapter to the goose ball.

I want to have the option for a rotating pin box so I am going to install the factory puck system with a gooseball. This will provide me the most flexibility for hitching. I am also going to add Viair compressor so removing the bed will also aid in that installation. I feel like having onboard air will be very beneficial for inflating those high pressure tires.
dave22554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck58 View Post
Sorry guys, I was talking into the phone without my glasses. What I’m asking is what do you guys think of a Pull Rite 2600 in a 1 ton single wheel short bed? 6‘6“… I’ll be pulling a Montana high country
Your hijacking the OP questions .....but You will get a better response by starting your own thread.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave22554 View Post
Call or chat with eTrailer they are very helpful. As far as the rail mount systems, they are not designed to be removed easily. If you you don't want to use a rotating pin box there are a few options for a gooseball installation without removing the bed. There are also a number of hitches both heavier and light options for connecting a king pin adapter to the goose ball.

I want to have the option for a rotating pin box so I am going to install the factory puck system with a gooseball. This will provide me the most flexibility for hitching. I am also going to add Viair compressor so removing the bed will also aid in that installation. I feel like having onboard air will be very beneficial for inflating those high pressure tires.
I thought i had heard the rails are not easy to move. I have looked at adding air as well so i can have adjustable air bags. Would ,realy help when i load my truck down with lumber.

Tags
hitch