Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2022, 09:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Long bed short bed makes no difference if you aren’t paying attention . Case in point friend had a long bed jacked the rig too tight broke the back window and dented the side . A slider will at least get you out.of a jam on a short bed .

Well your friend had to be trying something pretty crazy to make contact with a long bed truck. Distance from cab to pin on my long bed in in the 54' to 56' range. I would need to get close to 100 degrees to hit the cab.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2022, 07:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrob2000 View Post
I'll not file a claim for it unless I could prove beyond a doubt the repair shop tech caused the damage. That would require before/after photos.

I'm actually considering trading the truck in on a long bed crew cab (the mega cab storage is nice, but not needed). It's still in excellent condition outside the minor damage, which I know would make it a "rough trade". I'm just not sure a slider would provide the safety in a turn that a long bed will.
Keep the hitch , get a LONG bed truck ! you will not be happy with the ride. If you can find a truck with air ride rear and a air ride hitch that would be really nice. Is your BD5 sitting on rails or Puck system? Puck system you should check to make sure they didn't change the puck locations like GM did from 2019 to 2020. I dont think Ram did.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:48 AM   #31

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Long bed short bed makes no difference if you aren’t paying attention . Case in point friend had a long bed jacked the rig too tight broke the back window and dented the side . A slider will at least get you out.of a jam on a short bed .
If he had a long bed just how did he make contact & with what kind of trailer. I have been in long beds since 1999 and have had multi 5W's since and none ever came close to making contact with the cab, I don't think its possible unless the hitch was mounted too far forward. A hitch over the rear wheels puts the 5W back where it can not make contact even past a 90* turn.

Another plus on long beds is you can lay a sheet of plywood or dry wall in the bed with the hitch out. Will not happen in a short bed.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch