Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2023, 10:13 AM   #1

Hitch fitment - 6.75ft vs 8ft bed

I have an opportunity to buy a Curt hitch really cheap. I have an F250 short bed with the puck system. The description implies 8ft bed only. Is this really true or are they pushing their sliding hitch for short beds.

Q20 5TH WHEEL HITCH
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/16035

More info - We see threads about hitch or 5th wheel first. Given that I have an opportunity to buy this used hitch at for a few hundred bucks, I'm wanting to pick this up, buy my trailer, then decide if I need/want a slider or whatever. I'm sure I can resell this hitch for nearly what I'll pay for it.
gwill1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2023, 10:26 AM   #2

Old sage advise I have heard and seen
Short bed and no slider is a WHEN you hit cab and take out back window not IF.
I have a pullrit autoslider. Would not be without it.
Do what you want but the When will happen It's not an IF

RoadrunnerII
Old 01-23-2023, 11:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
Old sage advise I have heard and seen
Short bed and no slider is a WHEN you hit cab and take out back window not IF.
I have a pullrit autoslider. Would not be without it.
Do what you want but the When will happen It's not an IF

RoadrunnerII
I'm 99% sure that's where I'll end up.
Old 01-24-2023, 06:48 AM   #4

My new truck is the first long box I've owned. I've towed fifth wheels thousands of miles since the 90s, always with a short box, never with a slider. I've never had a cab strike and can only recall a couple times I've gotten close. Just pay attention and avoid trying to back to 90˚. It's really not an issue with newer designed trailers. I think Curt is attempting to control any legal problems. Curt isn't my favorite hitch brand, but as long as the pucks fit, I'd go for it. Just match your trailer to your truck and you should be fine. If you decide you can't live without a slide, get an auto one.
MtCamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 06:55 AM   #5

And just to add
Last week couple backing in with shortbox... Little tight getting into their spot... Bang! Bye bye back window and bent the rear cab
Super crew cab short box no slider.
Now it's a body work and new window while away snowbirding insurance job!
Not fun way to start your stay!
Suggested the insurance company pay for an autoslider hitch.. He went what's that? He knows now!

RoadrunnerII
Old 01-24-2023, 07:42 AM   #6

Quote:
And just to add
Last week couple backing in with shortbox... Little tight getting into their spot... Bang! Bye bye back window and bent the rear cab
Suggested the insurance company pay for an autoslider hitch.. He went what's that? He knows now!

RoadrunnerII
Well, I'm certainly more informed than this gentleman. And I realize that no matter how careful you are you can get panicked and slip up. Thanks for the comment.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
I have an opportunity to buy a Curt hitch really cheap. I have an F250 short bed with the puck system. The description implies 8ft bed only. Is this really true or are they pushing their sliding hitch for short beds.
Newer trailers have the notched/rounded corners made for short bed trucks. Eliminates the need for a slider or a special pin box.

Now if the trailer is like my old '97 32' 5er with the square corners then some type of slider or the special pin box will be needed.

Bought my 1st 5th wheel trailer in 1984. There were no sliding hitches back then.
Front profiles were flat and square. I pulled it with a 2500 short bed chevy. Pin was zero over the trucks rear axle.
In fact all three 5th wheels we've owned over the years were pulled with short bed (Dodge/chevy) trucks. Nor any problems with my GN trailers.

I was aware of the cab/trailer contact issue and paid attention...never a problem as did the vast majority of short bed owners.

I see the Q20 Curt used by short bed truck owners on several rv websites. The Q20 is a newer gen hitch ...just like the newer gen rounded/notched front profiles made for short bed trucks.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:12 AM   #8

I have done it without a slider. Tight turns with a tri axle are to be avoided at all cost as that is when the spring hangers get boogered up.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:59 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
Just pay attention and avoid trying to back to 90˚.
Quote:
Bang! Bye bye back window and bent the rear cab...Super crew cab short box no slider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwill1010 View Post
you can get panicked and slip up.
Nothing says you should have a slider more than these quotes.

This quote "....Newer trailers have the notched/rounded corners made for short bed trucks...." is simply not totally true; maybe "Some Trailers" but not all.

I am simply in the slider category for all short beds. And an auto slider is the best - it will allow U-turns whenever/wherever you want; you won't get wet when it is raining and you have to get out to move a lever to slide your hitch; and you won't get lazy and thing 'ah - it's ok' right up to the point you contact your cab.
Old 01-28-2023, 12:30 PM   #10

[QUOTE=gwill1010;6406941]I have an opportunity to buy a Curt hitch really cheap. I have an F250 short bed with the puck system. The description implies 8ft bed only. Is this really true or are they pushing their sliding hitch for short beds.

I have short bed but had slider hitch
one of the 1st times I started backing I almost took out back window
because I forgot to slide it out
YOU NEED that slider or start buying new back windows
the reason for slider is that when towing it is centered on truck
when out it changes pin weight - ie not over back tires anymore
fischer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:20 PM   #11

I have seen ads on 5th wheels that say 87.5 degree angle or one had an 88 degree angle. Agree that if you pick the right 5th wheel you do not need a slider. So on this topic I agree with JIMNLIN.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:33 AM   #12

Quote:
And just to add

RoadrunnerII

Maybe the instead of the Insurance company buy the hitch, the owner should either buy his own slider, or a long bed truck!
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:41 PM   #13

I have a Pullrite super glide in bed of my F250 short bed. Works wonderfully and you don’t have to ever worry about it. I’ve done many tight turns as a result of bad directions and bad campgrounds without fear of damage. One less thing to have to remember while maneuvering.

John
John St Maur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:59 PM   #14

You can get pullrite autosliders all over FB marketplace for cheap. Just get an adapter plate for your puck system and you are good to go.
Timing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch