Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #43

Evergreen Owners Club
I don't quite see or understand how there can be No chucking or bucking. I also know it only weighs 32# which in itself alarms me. I do know that aluminum is light but strong but I also know that it wears quite easily. Let us see how you feel about it after a couple years of wear and tear.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitlink View Post
I've spent months researching an Andersen hitch and have yet to come across a negative review from actual users. The only negative I've seen are from people who have never used it.

Only used it a few times so far myself, but I don't have any complaints as of yet.
The Anderson looks very interesting. I would like to try one.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
I don't quite see or understand how there can be No chucking or bucking. I also know it only weighs 32# which in itself alarms me. I do know that aluminum is light but strong but I also know that it wears quite easily. Let us see how you feel about it after a couple years of wear and tear.

Seriously just LOOK at the Andersen rated at 24,000# and the B&W Companion at 20K. Someone is full of it on their ratings. I would have no problem with the Andersen at 12K but NO way would I think of using it with my 23K MobileSuites.

At the higher loads with the Andersen you WILL have BED DEFLECTION from the for and aft movement of the base.

Another negative is chains are required and there is NO way to lock the RV to the hitch.

Compare to the B&W RVK3600.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #46

Quote:
There is no chucking because there is only one tolerance point and that is between the Andersen ball and the King pin adapter. The traditional hitch has several points for accumulated tolerances that would allow for chucking.

There are no aluminum wear points. The ball hitch is not Aluminum.

Bed deflection is not a problem provided that the hitch is properly torqued down to the gooseneck ball (50 ft lbs). If it is not properly torqued down I would imagine that the hitch would slip causing deflection of the bed. My 5ver weighs 19000 lbs. When the Andersen is first installed I do check the torque after a few miles on the first hookup after installation.

Chains are required in many states because it is a Ball Coupler. It takes me about 5 seconds per chain. That is not a problem for me.

BTW, the Andersen is not hype. It's real and simple. The only scare tactics come from those who have never owned one or even used one.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
There is no chucking because there is only one tolerance point and that is between the Andersen ball and the King pin adapter. The traditional hitch has several points for accumulated tolerances that would allow for chucking.

There are no aluminum wear points. The ball hitch is not Aluminum.

Bed deflection is not a problem provided that the hitch is properly torqued down to the gooseneck ball (50 ft lbs). If it is not properly torqued down I would imagine that the hitch would slip causing deflection of the bed. My 5ver weighs 19000 lbs. When the Andersen is first installed I do check the torque after a few miles on the first hookup after installation.

Chains are required in many states because it is a Ball Coupler. It takes me about 5 seconds per chain. That is not a problem for me.

BTW, the Andersen is not hype. It's real and simple. The only scare tactics come from those who have never owned one or even used one.

Well said
Old 12-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #48

Evergreen Owners Club
My issue, and this is just personal, is the fact you have to climb up into the bed to secure it and the chains when hitching or unhitching. This 66 year old body does not like having to be agile and do this much climbing up and down. It will only get worse as I age. This body has had a hard strenuous life and desires more of a leisurely lifestyle now.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:41 AM   #49

Quote:
My issue, and this is just personal, is the fact you have to climb up into the bed to secure it and the chains when hitching or unhitching. This 66 year old body does not like having to be agile and do this much climbing up and down. It will only get worse as I age. This body has had a hard strenuous life and desires more of a leisurely lifestyle now.
I can relate to your concern as I am 75 and not very nimble. For the chains I keep the permanent end attached to the B&W tie down points. I lay on the tailgate grab the other end with the hook and just slap it on to the eyelets on the Andersen adapter that is mounted to the King Pin. If it is a problem to lay on the tailgate then maybe the Andersen is not for you. For me I can pull myself up on the tailgate easier than lifting a standard 200# hitch in and out of the truck bed.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:13 AM   #50

Andersen hitch

Quote:
That's the other neat feature of the hitch there isn't any reason to climb into the bed the hitch has a cam lock cable that you can mount onto the underbelly or the side of the king pin your choice. As for the chains not all states require them but I have them on my truck just for the peace of mind.
Fsufreak is offline   Reply With Quote