Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2022, 11:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
If you are considering the MorRyde IS system, you should figure at least about $1000/wheel, possibly even somewhat more now...plus I am hearing it could be up to 8 months for an appointment.

Disc brakes for us was around $4300... Performance Trailer Braking did a great job for us, and it took about 8 hours to finish.

But both systems are well worth the cost.
Glad that worked out well for you, Hamm2018. I know I'll have to save up but if it props up the 5th wheel's cc a bit more plus ensuring a smooth ride, it would definitely be worth the money to get that all done. Anything that helps dealing with sudden winds, steep grades, & minimizes white-knuckle driving is a plus & a 450 crewcab dually should be enough truck for stability in the first place.
ClassCLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2022, 11:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassCLass View Post
Thanks Kdauto, that's all real good advice.

TBH I'd be more comfortable with a good used 450 truck - an older Chevy/GMC Kodiak sounds about perfect. I'm not brand-partial when it comes to trucks - just want something that gets the job done, nothing too flashy. Good to have a crewcab for the storage capacity if in the future I go the truck camper route. That won't happen until I do a few deep downsizing sessions...

Yes, if I could find a fiver that has a full bedroom sliding-door closet, decent pantry storage, & a cadenza office dinette (instead of those flimsy card-tables), - and is nearer to 30ft instead of 40ft would be wonderful, but the closest I could find with those specs was KS/Super Traveler models closer to 35ft. I'm a girl who likes my space & would be willing to minimize what I bring along to make it work.

Can't believe the cc on the 2002 KS is so paltry but hoping to find other models or same but diff year with better cc. Otherwise, I'm also looking at newer WB Minnie Plus models closer to 30ft or less that are fitted out well for fulltiming (50amp, 60lb propane, big tanks) and have more cargo capacity.
As a single person, I doubt you'd feel cramped in a 5th wheel with a floorplan like ours. We've spent 6 weeks at a time in ours, we're not small people, and never felt limited. We have our own space and don't step on each others toes. Plenty of storage! The size of ours allows a smaller tow vehicle. dually one ton is super stable, but a SRW one ton could do the job in almost all cases.

Floorplan Image: Lakota: 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 05:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
As a single person, I doubt you'd feel cramped in a 5th wheel with a floorplan like ours. We've spent 6 weeks at a time in ours, we're not small people, and never felt limited. We have our own space and don't step on each others toes. Plenty of storage! The size of ours allows a smaller tow vehicle. dually one ton is super stable, but a SRW one ton could do the job in almost all cases.

Floorplan Image: Lakota: 29RKT
A classic Lakota, what a find! Yep, if I can find an older 5th wheel closer to 30ft with that kind of storage & cargo capacity, I would be a happy camper!

Wondering if sometimes these manufacturers undersell the actual ccc of an RV just to give themselves some CYA lawsuit cushion...still can't believe a 35ft+ Newmar build 5th wheel would have such lousy cargo capacity.
ClassCLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:24 PM   #18

Quote:
A classic Lakota, what a find! Yep, if I can find an older 5th wheel closer to 30ft with that kind of storage & cargo capacity, I would be a happy camper!

Wondering if sometimes these manufacturers undersell the actual ccc of an RV just to give themselves some CYA lawsuit cushion...still can't believe a 35ft+ Newmar build 5th wheel would have such lousy cargo capacity.
What I believe is, typically, many RV manufacturers "cheap out" on buiding a quality unit. Many use a barely adequate frame, some use really cheap and poorly welded suspension parts (brackets and hangers). Some use really poor and JUST adequate load rated tires. Some really need a 200$ upgrade in tires and it'd make a world of difference.

Newmar makes good stuff normally, no? It is surprising, but it might simply be weak tires or suspension. I know I wouldn't be buying something with such little capacity. I like having a margin for error.

We are happy with ours, enough that we invested $$$ the last 2 years and are keeping it several years longer than expected. If/when build quality on newer rigs comes back up, we'll be looking at upgrading, but not going a whole lot bigger...maybe 34' overall.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Hey bddadles, Thanks for the suggestion.

~ I will be fulltiming so if there was a Volvo semi tractor with a shorter bed I'd seriously consider it. My concern is being as compact a set-up as possible which is why I'd be happy with a 2000 or older used 450/550 as long as it's clean with ok mileage. I must admit a semi tractor would be a bit intimidating for me...a 450 is a monster in my eyes ... I'm concerned about being able to park & back up relatively easily with a shorter fiver. Can't always depend on pull-thrus being available & I'd like to be able to park on the outskirts of smaller downtowns when not towing.

Wow, used your semi tractor as an everyday driver, you say? How did you two get around town & park?

Sorry I was gone for awhile. It takes very little extra planning driving and parking the HDT. Just plan your exit before you park. You will normally park farther away in Walmart but we generally could use the extra walk. Believe it or not my HDT will only take 2 spaces when parking and that is because of the length. It will fit in a normal parking spot width wise. Now if I'm hooked up to the 5er it takes 9 spots. We have a full automatic trans and it is like driving a big car. Takes a little practice to tow safely and remember to make wide turns. Don't go through fast food drive thrus. My wife used to take it to garage sales.
The big trucks are something to seriously consider especially in the 36' 5er range.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cargo capacity, ccc, fiver, hitch, payload, storage capacity, suspension