Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2021, 03:32 PM   #15

I kinda remember there is a suggested requirement for any RV parked on residential property to be "on pavement and behind the front plane of the house". Such a compromise might be acceptable to your HOA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
.....Some of the RV clubs such as Good Sam and Escapees offer advice to RVers that have an issue with parking restrictions. You may want to check with these groups.

Ken
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2021, 03:46 PM   #16

You might think about trying to get elected to the board! I had a friend that wanted to paint her townhouse a color that wasn't on the "approved HOA list" and she got elected to the board and added the color! Not saying it will work for RV parking but can't hurt! It's all politics
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:30 PM   #17

In at least one state (Texas) the HOA Board is severely restricted as to what amendments they are allowed to make to the covenants. State law requires a proposed change must go to a vote of the homeowners and a change requires a substantial majority to be enacted. As I recall, a 'yes' vote had to be cast by fully 70% of the residents, not just 70% of those who turn out to vote. Around here it would take a true burning platform to get even a 70% turnout.
I was advised of these things by a lawyer who said he was well experienced in HOA's and the state laws they must abide, but I did not personally confirm the statements are true. Anyway, you'll possibly have to dig into Colorado state legislation before you're done.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
In at leiast one state (Texas) the HOA Board is severely restricted as to what amendments they are allowed to make to the covenants. State law requires a proposed change must go to a vote of the homeowners and a change requires a substantial majority to be enacted. As I recall, a 'yes' vote had to be cast by fully 70% of the residents, not just 70% of those who turn out to vote. Around here it would take a true burning platform to get even a 70% turnout.
I was advised of these things by a lawyer who said he was well experienced in HOA's and the state laws they must abide, but I did not personally confirm the statements are true. Anyway, you'll possibly have to dig into Colorado state legislation before you're done.

Dark Sky, while I was on the board, had a fair amount of interaction with the attorney we used as this was a new acreage community in Texas. There were strict guidelines which HOAs are required to operate within. Procedures had to be followed in order to enforce the CC&Rs and also how we could enforce the rules.

Meeting with board members would be better than initially bringing up the issue before a full HOA meeting. I am sure you will find some board members sympathetic to you cause and other that are dead set against you.

When I got on our board, there were a few people trying to make up rules as they went along according to their wishes and not per the legally recorded CC&Rs which had cause a couple of property owners to seek legal action against the HOA. This was not popular with most of the property owners as the legal fees came out of the association dues which had to be raised to overcome the short falls from the attorney fees.

Let us know how this turns out.

Ken
Old 12-06-2021, 07:54 PM   #19

You don’t say what your HOA’s RV rules are. Are they any different than the first time you lived there? Did you consider these rules before moving back?

When we were presented our HOA dead restrictions we specifically looked at both the HOA RV rules and local township ordinance. We have no restrictions.
Funengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:08 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our HOA has a member board, a governing convent, bylaw and operating guidelines. The convent was established at the founding of the community and can only be changed by something like 70% of paid members voting for the change. LoL getting 70% of group to turn out and vote. So the convents are pretty solid. A number of years ago the HOA tried to prevent longterm storage on owner's lots. A few RV members took the HOA to court and won base don the convent wording. So the result is that each lot owner may have 3 RV stored on their lot provided they are reasonably screened. RVs means any typical RV or boat or similar recreational vehicle. But no airplanes. Reasonable screening means trees, 6 ft high high wooden fence or the magical invisibility cloth, called an RV cover, but must be gray in color. Any other color can be seen I guess.

We have two RVs parked on the side of the house with a wooden fence.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:50 PM   #21

I guess we'll eventually hear back from the OP on what his HOA and perhaps the State of Colorado has to say.....
Old 12-07-2021, 07:43 AM   #22

He probably didn't get the answer wanted. For me, how would he like it if the HOA allowed his MH then someone wanted that changed to no MH. I say rules like this should not be changed. As for age requirements a 1996 Prevost looks better than most 10 year old coaches.

The only good option if allowed is to build a building for it to set.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
He probably didn't get the answer wanted. For me, how would he like it if the HOA allowed his MH then someone wanted that changed to no MH. I say rules like this should not be changed. As for age requirements a 1996 Prevost looks better than most 10 year old coaches.

The only good option if allowed is to build a building for it to set.

This ^^^
Funengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:32 AM   #24

Evergreen Owners Club
I will never live anywhere with an HOA
Old 12-07-2021, 09:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by artpe54 View Post
My thought also. I see these type threads and allways wonder WHY you would try to park a RV knowing the HOA does not allow then get all worked up when the rules you agreed to follow are enforced.
1960C182 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #26

I don't think anyone got worked up except you. They were just asking for advice if anyone had pursued getting hoa RV rules changed...
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960C182 View Post
My thought also. I see these type threads and allways wonder WHY you would try to park a RV knowing the HOA does not allow then get all worked up when the rules you agreed to follow are enforced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbluesky View Post
I don't think anyone got worked up except you. They were just asking for advice if anyone had pursued getting hoa RV rules changed...

A few points to make.

First, nbluesky is correct that the op is not getting "worked up," but simply asking for direction.

Second, the op has not clarified or disclosed the wording in his CC&R document. We do not know if parking long term is forbidden completely, only within sight of neighbors, or only by complaint.

Third, the rules against parking RVs long term were apparently randomly enforced, relying on complaints. We don't know if that is in the wording or not. His previous real-world experience was that it was permissible. Now it is not. Though he, personally, is not "worked up," another person could be as inconsistency and selective enforcement are inherently unfair.

Fourth, if the rules against parking long term are truly reliant on complaints for enforcement, that alone could be a reason for a revision that the HOA might wish to address. It's one thing to state that parking is allowed as long as there are no complaints, and another thing to state that No Parking is permitted but enforcement relies only on complaints. The first statement means that parking could be permitted, the second means that it is not permitted but you might "get away with it." In both cases, what defines a valid complaint should be clarified.

Again, we need to know the actual wording of the HOA documents.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by artpe54 View Post
No kidding eh? Man, why on Earth would I shell out hundreds of thousands of $$$ just to be told what I can and cannot do? I realize towns and cities do this to a large extent, but some these HOA "boutique rules and bylaws" are outrageous. I can imagine many people hell bent on power trips love these organizations simply to be on the administrative board.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
parking, rv park