Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #1

Holding Tank Drain Valves

I have a 25RKS Winnibago fifth wheel. The holding tank drain valves age getting very hard to operate. The valves themselves are unreachable. Any advice on what to do?
JJO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #2

I spray lube on the shinny Rod that my handle connects to each time I dump and prior to closing the valve.

In Addition

A previous owner had installed 1 grease cert in each valve, located about an inch from the Rod entry into the valve. I give it a shot of grease once or twice a year.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJO3 View Post
I have a 25RKS Winnibago fifth wheel. The holding tank drain valves age getting very hard to operate. The valves themselves are unreachable. Any advice on what to do?
How old is this 25RKS? I ask because I have looked at / considered them as well.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I spray lube on the shinny Rod that my handle connects to each time I dump and prior to closing the valve.

In Addition

A previous owner had installed 1 grease cert in each valve, located about an inch from the Rod entry into the valve. I give it a shot of grease once or twice a year.
I have been doing that a lot lately. The problem is that the drain valves are at the end of long cables and can't be reached.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
How old is this 25RKS? I ask because I have looked at / considered them as well.
It's a 2015
Old 05-13-2018, 07:09 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
if it is cables they are probably corroded. the valves are reachable you just have to figure out how to access them. probably have to remove some of the underbelly. you can replace the cables without replacing the valves.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #7

Another option are the 12v electric valves
Old 05-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #8

I realize that not everyone is a amateur RV mechanic but it really helps to be handy. My name is Randall the bride is India we have been full timers for 2 years in a fifth wheel. I do spend a fair amount of time fixing stuff and that means I'm not in a mechanic shop all the time. It is not that hard to get to the valves and the cabling that control them by removing the underbelly plastic.
I have replaced all four of my release cables and some of the valves at some point.

The easiest thing you could possibly do to solve the problem would be to apply to Thetford valve lubricant to an empty tank and then put some water in there and let it slosh around for awhile. Days.

If this doesn't make it free up a bit you might have to take the underbelly off and look once you get comfortable with how they were you can disconnect the cable at the valve with an allen wrench and just move the valve back and forth with a pair of needle-nose to see if it's stuck.

Good luck Randall
RandallIndia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #9

At a regional DRV rally we attended recently a master tech spoke and answered questions. Difficult to operate dump valves, of course, came up. The tech suggested spraying WD-40 on the pull rods every time you operate a valve. He said eventually it will work its way down the sheathed cable and make keep the valves easier to operate. I've been doing that and it's helping.

Happy trails,
Old 05-14-2018, 09:53 PM   #10

You can always cut a 3 sided opening in the underbelly cover, with the 'hinge' facing forward, and then using Gorilla tape, tape it back up...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, valve