Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2017, 08:49 AM   #1

Holiday rambler presidential fifth wheel

Does anyone have one of these looking for some reviews Ihave seen a few on rv trader and they look pretty well made
Fulltimdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #2

Older HRs were well made units. Aluminum frames, all aluminum exterior. Once they were bought up by a succession of different groups quality dropped like a rock. What year are you looking at?
As with any old RV quality has little to do with anything. How it has been maintained is your number one concern. Appliances could all be at the end of their lives are just your starting issues.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:47 AM   #3

Been lookin any where from 99-2008. Want older unit of any high end as new ones seem to be crap Can rehab inside if needed most of the older interiors still look pretty good on many
Old 12-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #4

Been full timing in a 2007 HR Presidential Suite 37SKQ for two years. Bought it used. LOVE IT. only change was replacing the "never cold" frig and put in a Samsung RF18. Couldn't be happier,now have hard ice cream and more volume. HA! HR made a great rig. Looked at a bunch of units and decided on this one. Glad I did

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimdream View Post
Been lookin any where from 99-2008. Want older unit of any high end as new ones seem to be crap Can rehab inside if needed most of the older interiors still look pretty good on many
Just make sure that what you buy doesn't have water damage (roof, slide floors, etc.). The appliances (fridge, w/h, etc.) can be replaced for far less than a new roof and slide room floors. The $6500 it would take to replace a roof on a 38' 5th wheel would buy a new fridge, new w/h, 2 AC units, and any furnace repairs needed.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #6

The units I have been interested in are excel ,Drv,travel supreme and hr presidential. Know I will have to do a complete inspection of everything.Have learned so much from these forums of what to look for.Starting to downsize 46 years of married accumulated bs.hubby retired in nov and Iím still working and puttin money away for purchase.I want to travel a few years before we are too old to.havent had a rv for 15 years.Lot has changed
Old 12-31-2017, 06:15 AM   #7

Fulltimedream, glad your using this forum like a RV bible :>) there is soo much to learn. Bought my HR used, never had a 5er before but had class C's but that didn't make me an expert. This forum was a big help in selecting the HR, and the basic things to look out for. Even then I was fortunate to get a fine unit. I saw the HR in the dealers lot and went after hours to inspect as much as possible on the outside ,the roof especially. There were two 5er's next to each other ,the other was an Excel ,I decided on the HR after a salesman took me inside. I thought checking for water damage was the paramont thing to do.
I crawled in the basements , saw the plumbing, checked all the appliances, this one had a 5kw propane genny which works great. Gas furnace ,two A/C's/ heat pumps, electric fire place ,,,well trimmed out. I love and hate the king size bed, was 6 months old when i bought the unit (saw the $ 1,000 sales slip ) it's really comfy ,the bad part is it touches the walls in the slider and it's a pain in the butt to dress the bed clothes every day.
Right now where I am it's been in the teen's/20's , I keep the indoor temp at 70F ,bedroom door closed and the temp in the bedroon is about 60. Love my electric blanket. For the past 28 days I used 90 gallons of propane. The furnace keeps the utility/tank area around 50F well above freezing. Windows are thermopane. I have a fold out glass bay window I decided to leave extended, I put a clear plastic shrink film on the inside which works great.
Hope this helps with your HR search. I'd buy another at the drop of the hat.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimdream View Post
The units I have been interested in are excel ,Drv,travel supreme and hr presidential. Know I will have to do a complete inspection of everything.Have learned so much from these forums of what to look for.Starting to downsize 46 years of married accumulated bs.hubby retired in nov and I’m still working and puttin money away for purchase.I want to travel a few years before we are too old to.havent had a rv for 15 years.Lot has changed
We were in the same boat 2 years ago and were looking at the same great high-end used 5th wheels. Add Carriage Carri-Lite/Royals International, Newmar, NuWa, and Teton to your shopping list for sure. We wound up with a Carri-Lite and have been extremely pleased. It took us 2+ years to get rid of all of our 'stuff'! Lots of work, but so worth it in the end.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #9

Thanks so much for response itís minus 9 here and hope to hit some rv lots in better weather.We had two pop ups and two 18 foot trailers in the past no slides just old fashioned so much less to go Wong on those I would not buy new as lots of problems that are not simple on those rather buy older better built. We had things go in our trailers that we fixed ourselves.we usually donít have people repair much we always do ourselves but lots more to fail on these.We have a seasonal cabin in sd that could be our home base for summer.Just would like the freedom to see the country before my dirt nap.I woul like the dual pane windows as well have gotten many ideas on what I would like in one.Just have to choice which is biggest want for me I like storage, counter space bedroom closet bigger frig
Old 01-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I saw the HR Presidential at the Tamp RV Show a few years back when it was being introduced. It was very impressive AND heavy. I think they only made them 2 years.
Add Lifestyle to your list, too. Made just like the Carriage rigs with the same box frame with the slide-out mechanisms made atop the frame instead of through the frame. Lifestyle made a few other changes like moving the motors to the middle of the slides instead of the ends. The floor of the Carriage and Lifestyle rigs offers great insulation due to what is essentially a double floor.
You probably will not find the late model Presidential fivers listed in the NADA. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to report each make and model to the NADA. If the manufacturer did not do so, then no info is available on the NADA. This make it difficult to judge pricing and to obtain a loan if financing.
Good luck.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:22 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2002 HR 34RLT Presidential

We had ours for 14 years. Really loved it. No major problems over the years. Traded it for a cedar creek two years ago. Love our new trailer too. Our only regret on the HR was not getting the 36RLT. The added length makes a difference. Wouldn't have to move chairs for travel.
Karpcbk14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, holiday rambler