Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2007, 08:50 AM   #1

First - Folks thanks for all of the information here. It has helped in my decision. First the humor. Taking Boss Unit to her parents 50th wedding anniversary in Mississippi in July . We generally Wall-Mart camp while traveling (just to stop an sleep) so I told her we would go on one condition. I had to have a generator to run our 13500BTU Duo Therm Brisk Air AC unit. She said OK - YA-Hoo

I did my home work and have settled on two Honda 2000is with the parallel kit. This should cover all my needs and they will fit under the truck bed cover. So where to buy?
Mayberrys $1959
NW Power Tool $1938
Speedway $1959
Motosports $1950
Any others you can recommend, or special secrete deals you know about?

As you can see prices are very close, shipping is free, no tax (I live in CO) but service and consumable parts do matter.

So who would you go with and why?

Thanks - Keith
YODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2007, 01:35 AM   #2

I did the research also; then visited a couple local Honda dealers.I found their price to be within reason, and I don't have to explain the "where did you buy it" question every time I return. Some dealers only service what they sell, even if they sell your brand you go to the bottom of the priority list if you bought elsewhere.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:26 AM   #3

I bought mine from mayberrys. They had it in stock and shipped as promised. You may find that many advertise they sell them, but then try to sell you something else or are always out of stock and can't deliver.
I would agree with buying from a local dealer if prices are in line, but just to support my local ecconomy. As far as service, IT A HONDA!!!! The only time its going to the shop is when you take it to have the oil changed/tune up.
Even if you go to the bottom of there list, how long could they possibly have it, anymore than a week and I would find another service shop. JMHO.
gearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:23 PM   #4

Another vote for Mayberry's. Fast shipping and good customer service.
Buzzcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #5

Another vote for Mayberry's, I got mine 3yrs ago from them, no problems with unit so can't comment on sevice....good luck

debbiejohntaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:12 PM   #6

Thanks for the information folks. I did check with the local dealer and got the full price $1079 each and parallel kit of $299.95. Got a sales pitch of them re-jetting before delivery (6500 feet here) I questioned the wisdom about that as I know it not good to lean out these too much and I travel to the low lands a lot. He then retracted his advice. Also got the be first in service if I bought there, but when I used this same dealer for my chain saw they were not busy. He did say he would take care of any service needs no matter where I bought it.

Has anyone had an issue running the stock unit at high altitude?

I'll give Bayberry's a call and double check price with them. Others here have gotten better deals from them. Hopefully they will match. I do need to make sure it is the real parallel kit. I did discover some are substituting another brand.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-21-2007, 05:19 PM   #7

Yoda,

I have run my EU2000 at 10,480 ft elevation with no problem!!! The lowest elev. was somewhere around 3000 ft.

I have not had my gen set rejetted. Nor will I incase I take it to sea level to use.

As far as the parallel cables, make your own. Here is a link on how to make them for under $50.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...900&uid=558963

This is what I am going to do when I get my 2nd EU2000.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #8

There are always cheap prices listed in the back of Trailer Life and other magazines, often with free shipping.

If I were you, I'd ask the local dealer (politely) if he could meet whatever best price you find. I also agree with supporting the local shop, but I'm also not wealthy enough to pay a bunch more for the same product.

Mine also runs fine at high altitude, though they all seem to be jetted lean and may mave a very slight surge at idle. Since they are inverter based, it doesn't effect performance and seems to be normal.

Changing oil in one is like a 2 minute job. Other than that, you've got the aircleaner, spark plug, and valves...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #9

I took Mayberrys quoted price to my local dealer and walked out with 2 new 2000i and the RV parallel hook up assy for less than $100 more than Mayberrys price. state sales tax was included, so the dealer really tried. Mail order is great, but i would rather spend my money locally, not have to wait for shipment, and can look the dealer in the eye if I have to return it for service etc. They are GREAT units
no matter where you purchase them. Oh yes, watch the EBay scams on these !!

Grandpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #10

I too want or wish to use my local dealer, but no go. He wants full price

So now its down to the choices above unless you folks know of someone better. I'm out on business all next week, so next Saturday I will be ordering

I am wondering about the parallel box posted above. I am no electronic expert, but it appears it can back feed power to the other generator and will not keep them balanced which I understand the banana plugs do where they are hooked in. By paralleling the two standard receptacle with ground the system will favor the stronger of the two units. Plus each side is still only 15 amp protected, which could be easily overloaded if one unit falters even slightly. Am I thinking wrong here? It is my understanding that the Honda official parallel kit is 30 amp protected at the box and by using the different connection points is safely protected. BTW does anyone know how long the standard plug leads are on the parallel kit? I would like to locate each unit to the outside edge of the pickup bed at the back where I can chain them to the bed hooks.

Thanks again
Old 02-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #11

Obviously you can't parallel normal generators or AC outlets fed from different sources, as the sine wave of the AC wouldn't be synchronized and they would work against each other...

As I understand it with the Hondas, the engine runs an AC generator with the magnets built into the flywheel, and that output is then rectified and fed to an electronic inverter. In that way the engine RPM can vary without changing the voltage or frequency of the output, and the parallel kit can synchronize their output and place a balanced load on the two generators. If one generator were to drop out and you were drawing more than 2000 watts, I suspect all that would happen is the overload of the other would kick out.

I might be off on the theory stuff, but I do know that the parallel kit works well. I think the cord is around 3'.

As far as your local dealer goes, you gave him the opportunity to earn the sale, and he elected to pass (which is his prerogative), so I'd say mail order from whoever is cheapest.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #12

cables on my parallel kit are 4 ft long,
should work OK although cables will be suspended around 16" from the floor of the bed

Grandpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by YODA:
I too want or wish to use my local dealer, but no go. He wants full price

So now its down to the choices above unless you folks know of someone better. I'm out on business all next week, so next Saturday I will be ordering

I am wondering about the parallel box posted above. I am no electronic expert, but it appears it can back feed power to the other generator and will not keep them balanced which I understand the banana plugs do where they are hooked in. By paralleling the two standard receptacle with ground the system will favor the stronger of the two units. Plus each side is still only 15 amp protected, which could be easily overloaded if one unit falters even slightly. Am I thinking wrong here? It is my understanding that the Honda official parallel kit is 30 amp protected at the box and by using the different connection points is safely protected. BTW does anyone know how long the standard plug leads are on the parallel kit? I would like to locate each unit to the outside edge of the pickup bed at the back where I can chain them to the bed hooks.

Thanks again
If you want more info on building parallel cables and how they work, do a search on this site and RV.net

Many have done this with great success. Just trying to help you save a buck.
The power to both outlets on the gen set come from the inverter inside, no difference between them other than what can plug into them.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:55 AM   #14

Here is a link with more info and more guys that have done this (home made cables). In this thread is some links/info on making cables with the bannana clips vs the 15 amp plug.

Ford Diesel Stop