Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2005, 07:21 AM   #1

I have read the posts on the EU 2000 and would like to use two in tandem to provide power to my Jayco 5th wheel. One thing I have an issue with is the small fuel tank. Has anyone figured out a way to connect a larger fuel tank to these generators? My research indicated that they run about 4hrs under a heavier load (15M BTU air conditioner+) That would get me up in the middle of the night to refill the small generator tanks. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2005, 07:21 AM   #2

I have read the posts on the EU 2000 and would like to use two in tandem to provide power to my Jayco 5th wheel. One thing I have an issue with is the small fuel tank. Has anyone figured out a way to connect a larger fuel tank to these generators? My research indicated that they run about 4hrs under a heavier load (15M BTU air conditioner+) That would get me up in the middle of the night to refill the small generator tanks. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Here's what I would do...

<A HREF="http://www.propane-generators.com/eu2000i_kits.htm" TARGET=_blank>
Click on the image to go to the website </A>

P.S.: We're going to be near you (Dalton/Clarks Summit) on the 13th and 14th of August. Also, I know of a Newmar Kountry Air front diesel Class A for sale. Email me harmonicat@gmail.com for more info. GM
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:45 AM   #4

Thanks for the information on the EU2000. I did not know that the EU2000 could run on propane. Is this something that is sold, or do you have to convert it after the purchase.
Regarding the Mewmar, I need to change my signature. After thinking about our situation, we opted on buying a 5th wheeler and pick up. It should work better for our needs. (We hope)
Old 07-27-2005, 09:52 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
I believe it is an aftermarket modification only.

George
Old 07-27-2005, 10:17 AM   #6

Thanks very much. I have already gone to the site you included, and think that it may just fill the need.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
I'm glad you were served well on iRV2.com! Tell all your friends about this fabulous and free online resource.

George
Old 08-02-2005, 06:39 PM   #8

be carefull if you are marginal on the power requirements for your unit.
The BTU content of propane is about 10% less than gas ( somebody correct me if I am wrong). So the output of the gens would be about 10% less. Also the Honda 2000i is rated for 1600W continous out put. On Propane the output would be about 1440W continous.

Fair winds and following seas.

Richard
Old 08-03-2005, 03:25 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
I've seen advertised an additional, external, gasoline container that just connects to the Honda tank via small hose (remove gen set gas cap and connect hose). Looks to be about 3-4 gallon capacity.

don
Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:14 AM   #10

Great news. Do you have any idea where you saw the tank? I have asked several sellers of the Honda and they "no nothing" about such a tank, possibly because they do not have it for sale themselves.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:27 AM   #11

Thanks for the info on the BTU's of propane. I am still trying to use a gas generator and am trying to find that tank mentioned in another post. Anyone with information on where that auxiliary fuel tank for a Honda EU2000 can be purchased, please let me know!
Old 08-03-2005, 06:08 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
I can't locate the site on the 'net that had an actual picture of the optional fuel tank, but here is a site that does list the tank. I'll jump in here with the info if I do find the picture of the actual tank.

http://www.wisesales.com/SuperQuiet.html

don
Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:34 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richardcoxid:
.."
The BTU content of propane is about 10% less than gas ( somebody correct me if I am wrong). So the output of the gens would be about 10% less. Also the Honda 2000i is rated for 1600W continous out put. On Propane the output would be about 1440W continous."

Fair winds and following seas.

Richard </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct about the Btu content in propane versus gasoline. But the gen set will not deliver 10% less electricity, it will consume about 10% more fuel.

If the system demands 1600W, the gen set will produce 1600W and consume what fuel it needs.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:27 AM   #14

I just want to say that I am thrilled with the response to my delimna re the small fuel tank size of the EU2000. Sure beats trying to solve issues using only one brain.