Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #1

Hot water heater 6 gallon to 10 gallon???

I have been searching the forum and the vast internet with no answer. I have an Atwood 6gal and want to find out if an Atwood 10gal will fit in the same space with out major modification.

Is a 10 gallon tank taller? Wider? Deeper? I want to avoid having to avoid having to open the hole in the side of my RV.

Thanks for any and all info.
tlcsr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #2

I have a 12 gallon in my unit... I'd suggest you go to Atwood or other brands of water heats on one of the web sites... Amazon is a good place to start... you can find the dimensional information on your unit... find the information on a 10 or 12 gallon unit.. and than decide if you can install one of the larger units in your unit....

I can't imagine you don't have the room... I know that I have at least 5" in each dimension around my current water heater.... I can only assume that your unit builder used the 6 gal heater as one of the spots to cut costs...

One last thought... make sure your current heater isn't full of scale.. I've flushed some units that have 3/4 to 1 gal of scale sitting in the bottom of the tank... thus limiting the amount of hot water you can store...
Old 02-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #3

I'm can't say for Atwood but I do know that all Suburban heaters have the same OD dimensions and just increase in depth from 6 gal to 12. I went from 10 to 12 gal. They were identical but he depth was 2" longer on the 12 gal.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #4

Try this.
http://www.atwoodmobile.com/images/waterheater.pdf
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:11 AM   #5

Thanks Cumminsfan, and everybody else that answered my question.

It would seem if I go from 6 to 10 gallon I would need to cut the hole 3 inches larger. Luckily I don't need to replace the heater now but may in the future. So I have time to study on this some more.
tlcsr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:36 AM   #6

I'm confused here.... my hot water heater bolts to the body of the unit with a bracket.. but the hot water heater was installed through one of basement doors and will not slide in/out of the hole where the unit will access the exterior.. Do some of the hot water heaters fix through the hole in the side of the unit?
Old 02-10-2018, 06:28 AM   #7

A couple of questions here, and the answer is "it depends". Sorry about that. As a general rule, most water heaters and furnaces can be removed, replaced and serviced through their outside access panels. Often times you do have to remove a strap or bolt or two from the inside as well as furnace ducts but there should be access to do so. You would also have to disconnect gas and electric. It's a straight forward job, but you might want to consider using a RV tech. They have done it before and make it look easy. A far as fit, it should. If your camper came with a 10 gal option it's almost a for sure fit. Again if you have a service tech do the swap, you"ll get your 6 gal back if the 10 gal doesn't fit and you won't end up owning a used 10 gal water heater.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:48 PM   #8

My Atwood 6 gal. heater recovers so fast that I have never run out of hot water. I am conservative taking showers the Navy way.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
My Atwood 6 gal. heater recovers so fast that I have never run out of hot water. I am conservative taking showers the Navy way.
Same here. Was one of the few things I was disappointed in- 6gal. heater. And I take a regular hot relaxing shower. So I guess we're good...
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Same here. Even if I cheat a little on the Navy part, by the time I get dried off and dressed my wife has plenty of hot water.
Now if my wife goes 1st I'll have more than plenty because she take way more time after the shower than I do.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcsr66 View Post
Thanks Cumminsfan, and everybody else that answered my question.

It would seem if I go from 6 to 10 gallon I would need to cut the hole 3 inches larger. Luckily I don't need to replace the heater now but may in the future. So I have time to study on this some more.

Atwood 6 & 10 are same width
10 is 3" taller (19.5 vs 16.5)
10 also needs 2" more depth (20 vs 18)

If time comes to replace.....get a 6 gal COMBO electric/gas
Electric is roughly 6 gal/hr recovery (initial fill cold)
Propane is roughly 10 gal/hr recovery (initial fill cold)
Electric/Propane both is roughly 16 gal/hr (initial fill cold)
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I'm can't say for Atwood but I do know that all Suburban heaters have the same OD dimensions and just increase in depth from 6 gal to 12. I went from 10 to 12 gal. They were identical but he depth was 2" longer on the 12 gal.
Suburban 4 gal & 6 gal use same size opening

10/12/16 gal are same but height/width are roughly 4" larger then 4/6 gal
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater