Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #1

House Batteries

I currently have a 12 volt battery which is now deader than a door nail. Research and recommendations are saying move to two six volt batteries. Any suggestions on brands? Opinions on making this switch are also invited as two batteries cost more than one
stormmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Trojan T105 or 125
Old 11-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Trojan T105 or 125

This^^

If you have the space for larger batteries and really need the capacity, go for it. Remember that the charging time is longer as you add amp. hour capacity.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
BEST (and most expensive) Trojan
Best bang for the BUCK, Sam's Club (If that is you have a membership)
What I am using now DEKA G-20's

As of when I got 'em (2013) Deka's were 100% Made in the USA from products sourced in the USA. not many can make that claim.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #5

It depends on what you have for an RV. If you have the room and weight carrying capacity then you can go to some big batteries like the T105. If you do not there are smaller batteries available that will fit.

If you have a choice between two 6 Volt in series or two 12 V in parallel in the same case size the 6 V will have more capacity.

My real point is that given unlimited space and deep pockets batteries like the T105 are probably the best choices in wet cells. Given the confined spaces and shallow pockets most of us have there are reasonable compromises that will get most folks through the night. That is why I have two 12 V group whatevers from Sam's Club. They make it through the night then the genset does it's job.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My local Costco has Interstate GC-2 6V for $83.99. I have six of them for about 2 years so far they have served me will. I agree Trojans are very good batteries. You need to decide if the difference in cost is worth it to you.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #7

I converted my 12v marine battery to two T105 Trojan batteries in series expecting a longer discharge time. I thought it doubled the amps. I understand all you double is the voltage not the amps (2 x 6 = 12). To double the amps, you need to put two 12v batteries in parallel which is still 12v. This delivers 12v with double the amps. T105's for me ran down fast for some reason. I charged them up with either my generator connected to my camper or with a 85 watt solar panel.
azchoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:01 AM   #8

Door nails

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormmolly View Post
I currently have a 12 volt battery which is now deader than a door nail. Research and recommendations are saying move to two six volt batteries. Any suggestions on brands? Opinions on making this switch are also invited as two batteries cost more than one
My wife and I were just talking about this. Neither of us have ever seen a live door nail.
how would one determine if one was alive or dad?

I have had 2 12 volt deep cycle marine batteries in for about 5 years now. I know I will have to replace them soon but they are still working fine. We do not dry camp much. But we are fulltime so occasionally we do.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by azchoco View Post
I converted my 12v marine battery to two T105 Trojan batteries in series expecting a longer discharge time. I thought it doubled the amps. I understand all you double is the voltage not the amps (2 x 6 = 12). To double the amps, you need to put two 12v batteries in parallel which is still 12v. This delivers 12v with double the amps. T105's for me ran down fast for some reason. I charged them up with either my generator connected to my camper or with a 85 watt solar panel.
The general theory is a 6 V or 3 cell battery has bigger individual cells than a 12 V battery or 6 cell battery in the same case size. Fewer separator walls so room for more plates.

The problem with all batteries is it takes time as well as available current to charge them. Most folks short cycle their generator run times compared to what the recommendations are to fully charge the battery.
When charging current is split between the battery and the other 12 VDC loads. If one significantly upsizes battery capacity without changing the converter then the run time has to be increased even more to put back the Amp/hours used. Part of how much more is what else is drawing power while charging. An 85 W panel puts out around 7 Amps so would take a long time to top off a T105 string. Maybe longer than you had good daylight.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by azchoco View Post
Marine batteries are not True Deep Cycle Batteries and will never provide the same amount of amp hrs that a True Deep Cycle battery such the Trojans or any other Golf Cart battery will. Do you have your solar charge controller set to 14.8 V that is the spec Trojan requires for their batteries for bulk and absorption charging. float is 13.2 V. If your solar controller and battery charger have temperature compensation use it. How many hours do you run you generator to fully charge the batteries? I have 420 Amps of solar and have my controller set at 14.7 bulk and absorption and 13.2 float. I have interstate GC-2 6V batteries that's the reason for 14.7 V setting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf T105_Trojan_Data_Sheets.pdf (830.6 KB, 37 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:48 AM   #11

I converted my new in 8-2010 5'er from a single 12v battery to two T-105's within the first few weeks of full timing. I don't boondock a lot, but some at races, etc. With any wet cell battery don't forget to check the water (and distilled only) level. I check mine in the spring and again in the fall after summers on the Florida gulf coast. They both need water and about the same amount per cell. I have never had one low enough to expose the top of the plates, but have been close a time or two.

After a bit over 6 years of full time use the Trojan's are holding up well. I spent 5 days at Talladega a couple of weeks ago and only ran the generator a bit in the mornings for coffee and they held up well.

I did just add water to both a couple of days ago so I'm good until spring.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:14 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
That seems like a pretty long interval to me. I check mine once a month, probably because they are maintained with a solar panel and easy to get to and fill using the ProFill system. I guess if you don't have them on a maintainer and your idle most of the time with no load that fill interval might work for you but I would check them a little more often.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-14-2016, 05:10 AM   #13
IC2

The Trojan batteries are fine - but do you really need a couple of big ones such as those are taking up valuable storage space. If you do some to lots of dry camping, for sure those are the best way to go. If you are usually tethered to a CGs 120VAC service - an expense you really don't need as it entails not only the batteries but a box with a drain and separate out gas vent too. If the existing battery that has died is the usual stealership's Gr24 Interstate, you can move up to a G27, or 29 or 31. We moved to a Gr 31. It will do a complete set up - 4 slides, landing gear and rear stabilizers, and at have least enough 'life' left for lights and roof vents overnight plus a hookup the next morning and probably more if we wanted to try to go further.

Of course, this is only my opinion tho based on long term RV ownership
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormmolly View Post
Your question doesn't give enough information. You need to make choices based on how you use your coach. If all you want is 12 volt power to extend the slides and drop the jacks before you connect to shore power, then a single 12 volt will work just fine. If you need power for a couple of days without hookups, then moving to multiple batteries will be your best benefit. Also, if you have solar or are considering solar, then the 6 volt option is a must.

As far as types....if you purchase wet cell batteries then you will need to maintain the water level periodically. You don't want the water level to run low as that will kill your batteries faster than anything. If you want to install them and forget them, then an AGM style is your best bet.

Tags
batteries, house batteries