Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2021, 03:03 PM   #1

How accommodating are typical dealers?

I want go with a Reese Goosebox but I'm guessing it would be difficult to find a 5er I like with that already installed. Do dealerships typically make such a change for a reasonable fee? I'm figuring they wouldn't have too much difficulty selling the existing pin box to someone else or putting it on another trailer.
Squantobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2021, 05:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantobon View Post
I want go with a Reese Goosebox but I'm guessing it would be difficult to find a 5er I like with that already installed. Do dealerships typically make such a change for a reasonable fee? I'm figuring they wouldn't have too much difficulty selling the existing pin box to someone else or putting it on another trailer.

Oh they will do it while charging you full retail price for the new hitch and labor. Then, unless clearly specified, they will keep the old hitch without giving you anything for it. If you know all this going in, you can work them a little.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
What is reasonable fee? According to the dealer it will be full price for the new hitch, installation cost, probably north of $120/hr. Then a fee to dispose of the old hitch, just to add cost to the bill.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:40 AM   #4

The will do a lot before you sign the dotted line.

The moment you sign you are one of the unwashed masses and they are the overlords.

Make your deals before you sign, and have it DONE before you sign.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Many dealers will do the exchange, some will only do the swap if you buy the GB form them. As to reasonable, it depends on what you call reasonable.

It will be cheaper if you buy it yourself and get a local trailer shop to make the swap.

Personally, I would stick with a conventional 5th wheel pinbox. If you are worried about bed space, look at the Anderson hitch.

Ken
Old 11-18-2021, 10:09 AM   #6

Why can't you install the Reese Goose box yourself. I have installed a TrailAir Kingpin box myself with the help of my son. This was to help hold box in place as I installed the fasteners. My TrailAir had a manual for installation and was very easy to follow.

The only special tool you will need is a Torque Wrench. Which you should already have to check your wheel lug nut torques.

I than sold the old Lippert kingpin box for scrap $ as no one was interested in the standard box that I took off.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:23 PM   #7

KZ RV Club
Quote:
The stealers will do anything for a extravagant fee.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:35 PM   #8

The goosebox is great.

When I got my toy hauler I already had a gooseneck ball in my truck and was not going to get a 5th wheel receiver.

I had the goosebox shipped to me. It took ~30 minutes in the dealer parking lot with help from my bother. This is a 2 person job and outside of standard wrenches you should have a torque wrench.

As said, the dealer will do it, but I would expect the cost to be close to 2x what you can do it for.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
The only special tool you will need is a Torque Wrench. Which you should already have to check your wheel lug nut torques.
Just be aware that 210ft-lbs is required.

I also installed mine myself with a helper. Easy peasy! Keeping the old pinbox in case I trade up later I will reinstall it an keep the GB. It is likely a hard sell anyway.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:52 PM   #10

Thanks all. These were the answers I was pretty much expecting but thought I'd pose the question anyway.
Squantobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:16 AM   #11

Ordered a Gen-Y from Amazon. Had it dropped shipped to dealer. He charged $140 to switch it out. The best move I ever made as far as hitch goes. Ordered the B&W ball kit for factory puck system. Another great move! Nothing in the bed of the truck when not towing.

Have a 2021 F450 and 2021 DRV Mobile Suites 44 Houston. Tows great!

Quinton

Tags
dealer