Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2016, 07:18 AM   #1

How did you get your washing machine into your RV?

My wife and I are going to get a washer and dryer for our new Grand Design 318RST 5th wheel. Camping World wants $300 to install them and I'd prefer to do this myself if possible. I have no problem cutting the hole in the side of the RV for the dryer vent and I think I can figure out how to muscle the 75lb dryer into place. But, I'm not sure how difficult it would be to get the 150lb washer in there. For those of you who have done this - how did you do it? How many people helped? Did you use ramps or lifting harnesses or?
bertschb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 02:24 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
When we ripped-out our NO-cold from a one year old Lifestyle fiver and replaced it with a 200lb Samsung refrigerator, we pulled the trailer right up to the Home Depot loading dock and THEY loaded the new fridge into the trailer. We secured into place well enough to make it home and then finished the install once back at the house. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your door is wide enough you should be able to bring it in through it and two people should be enough.
We put a Splendide in out MH with just the two of us. I did have to remove the passenger seat but you shouldn't have that problem. Just the two of us and no lifting straps or anything else.

I did have to remove the door holding strap and the screen door at it's hinges.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #4

We have installed our whirlpool washer and dryer in both our 5 th wheel and then moved it to our MH. In both instances we removed the top hinge on the outside door so that it opened completely out of the way and removed the screen door. On the 5th wheel Ron used wide boards to slide it up the steps. When we moved it to the MH we parked the 2 rigs door to door and used wide boards to straddle the steps. In the MH we moved the passenger seat back as far as it would go, arms up out of the way. We had to wiggle a little. The hardest part wash installing into the closet of the MH The dryer vent was placed such that it had to go in first up on the shelf. That meant some long reaching to get the drain hose of the washer into the pipe. To make sure that we would not have an issue with it popping out Ron attached an extension to the drain hose which allowed us to shove it farther down the drain pipe. We had to find the friend with the longest arm to reach back and install it. There are some pretty funny pictures of that event in
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #5

Took out old W/D and installed new units in our Suites--stacked. Had neighbor help me with the removal/placement of washer----dryer was not a problem except to get it up above the washer area, put rear bracket in place and we lifted it up and got it on rear brack, then slid front bracket under it. In spite of my poor abilities, they are both still in place...
Neighbor was a big guy, tho.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:10 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Nana, where did you purchase your Whirlpool's? I don't see them advertised anywhere. Thanks.

Dave
Old 01-27-2016, 09:37 PM   #7

You can go thru the Sears Kenmore online store to find them. Kenmore and Whirlpool used to be the same, not sure any more. Look for 120volt dryers or also apartment units==the size is 24" width. Splendide may be the only other line that addresses the smaller units.
Try these Whirlpool numbers: Dryer LDR3822 PQ1
Washer WFC7500VW1
Joe
Old 01-27-2016, 09:56 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Wingnut, I'll give it a try.

Dave
Old 03-20-2016, 07:15 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
GE did make apartment size washer and dryers (at least they did a couple of years ago). If I remember correctly, my daughter ordered from Best Buy.
okraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #10

Another trick to getting the washer in the trailer--get it over to the door area, lay a heavy blanket (I used UHaul blanket) on the steps and threshold, lay the washer onto the blanket/steps with one person inside and one outside. Then the inside person pulls the blanket into the trailer while the outside person lifts/pushes the washer from the outside.
If the blanket won't slide, then just slide the washer into the trailer over the blanket. Worked well for me.
Joe
Old 03-21-2016, 06:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultratravler View Post
Nana, where did you purchase your Whirlpool's? I don't see them advertised anywhere. Thanks.

Dave
Somehow I missed your question. We ordered ours from Lowes. When we bought ours they had 2 apt size sets. The front load washer came from one set and the dryer came from a pair that had a top load washer. They had them in their warehouse so we had them in for us in a couple days. That was 9 years ago
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #12

We have a compact LG front loader from Best Buys. Put the front entrance steps up and two of us lifted the washer in through the door into the 5er.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #13

We bought ours from Best Buy. They delivered to the inside of camper. removed old unit and disposed of. I installed but they did the hard part.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote