Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #1

Just starting to research the brands and types of fifth wheels out there. How did you come to the one that was perfect for you? Did you go with the brand, floor plan or something else I haven't thought of yet? Just wondering the different ways to go about this.
jacobs family is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #2

Just starting to research the brands and types of fifth wheels out there. How did you come to the one that was perfect for you? Did you go with the brand, floor plan or something else I haven't thought of yet? Just wondering the different ways to go about this.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:28 AM   #3

I'm shopping for a Class A, but the method is the same: I typed in "Class A Motorhome" into Yahoo! or Google if you prefer, and then started checking out all the dealer sites with pictures. This gave me a good idea of what's out there. I narrowed down the floorplans I liked, then checked every manufacturer site I could looking for similar plans. Then I compared the ones I came up with for price. As luck would have it, my local dealer has the one I'm looking for, so we went for a test drive. Now all I need is money! P.S. check out www.rvpricebusters.com - they do trailers as well. I found their price to be super low, and it's what I'll take to my local dealer when I'm ready to buy. If he can't match it, I'll be giving them a call... (The second time I've recommended them- and NO I don't work for them :-)
Old 08-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
This can be an overwhelming task.

Although I have a motorhome, some of the decision making is the same.

Some people decide based on the "glitz" factor. That is, looks only, which is the worst way to buy.

Some look for the floorplan they like, without regard to the manufacturer. IMHO, still not the best way to buy.

I believe that a combination of manufacturers reputation, for quality and service, along with a floorplan you like is the best way to decide.

Another critical issue in trailer shopping is the weight of the trailer in relation to the tow vehicle's towing capacity.

If you have your truck already, then trailer weight must be a deciding factor also.

If you're buying truck and trailer, then you are in the best situation to insure a good match.

To answer your question more directly, I decided on the Dutch Star, and then I picked the floorplan I liked.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:57 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I started by deciding what we needed and made a list, then started researching on rvtraderonline and manufacturers websites. Once I had a list of trailers that fit our needs, # of beds, enclosed bathroom, size and weight to fit the truck and where we liked to camp, I hit the local RV shows with the list and looked at as many trailers as possible then the wife had the final decision in which one we wanted. We lucked out in that the one that fit all our needs was a brand carried by the local dealer that I had bought my previous 3 trialers from.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lots of factors go into deciding on the perfect RV. On a 5th wheel unit, you need to make sure yo have enough truck to handle the pin weight of the trailer. A 3/4 ton truck will pretty well be maxed out with a 32' trailer.

In looking at a trailer, look for quality. Take along a flash light and look back into the corners of cabinet, pull the drawers, and in the corner of lockers. The better built RVs will tend to have wiring and plumbing, secured and bundled. The places in the floor and wall where the wires and plumbing pass through will be neet and not punched out with a hammer. Look at the fir and trim inside. Corners should be tight and even. Construction should be screwed and glued, not butted and stapled.

Now for the floor plan. You need to decide on how you will use the RV. Long term living or weekend trips and the occasional longer vacation trip?

Look to see if it has storage for your food, dishes, linens, clothes and other camping supplies.

Tell the sales person to take a hike and leave you alone. Stand in the kitchen, pretend you are fixing a meal and see where everything would be stored. Is there drawers for the silver wear and cooking supplies?

Check out the bath area, A place to store the linens and toiletries, is the shower large enough to use, is the potty accessible?

Now the sleeping area....is there a place to put all of your clothes, drawers for the under wear or do you have to use bins in the bottoms of closets?

The lower end RVs tend to be short on drawers and cabinets. Cabinets and especially drawers are costly to install, so they skimp to save some money.

Outside...is there room to store the camping gear, BBQ, fishing gear, lawn chairs?

An lastly, since this is a first RV, look at used units. You can usually get a nicer and higher end unit in the 3 to 5 year old range for less than a new entry level unit. RV's values take a real plunge the fist year due to depreciation. So the used one has already seen this.

Have fun shopping.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #7

First stop was an RV show. Decided on the type of Rv we wanted and what we liked and disliked in floor plans. Once we had a floor plan we wanted, we started looking at the major brand names. Then when we thought we had a brand we wanted, we went and spent some time sitting in it. Looking for things like, where do you put the garbage can in the kitchen? How are the cabinets put together? How good of a job did the manufacturer do in sealing holes in the floors and sidewalls? I guess it was just your basic how good a job of engineering and assembly did they do? From that very short list we picked what we liked and bought it.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #8

Awesome information guys! Sometimes just looking at all the information out there makes my head spin. We picked out 15 floor plans that we liked from 8 different makers. We are now researching the makers. Went to the dealer today and did some looking around. We told the salesman that we weren't planning on buying for at least 9 months to a year so he pretty much lost interest in us and let us wander around on our own! The next RV show near us is in Jan. up in San Antonio, we will be making that trip for sure! Thanks again for the great information, it will be put to good use!
Old 08-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #9

Something that was not mentioned in the floor plans, look to see where tne TV is in relation to the couch. WE have looked at units that there was no way to see th TV without seating at the booth. Also if the RV has slidouts what can you get to without opening the slidouts, can you get to the bathroom,etc.

Tom

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0L 4.10
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:24 AM   #10

Thanks Tom!
Didn't occur to me to check the tv placement. When looking at fifth wheels, can you ask the dealer to close the slides?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:10 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Comfort when watching TV was an important item for us. Like was said earlier, in some units it is virtually imposible for both to comfortably sit and watch TV. That can be accomplished by scanning floor plans on line. Then comes the RV shows. It is painfully obvious that some of these RV designers do not do any camping. We saw one top end RV that had french doors into the bedroom. The blinds (from the hallway looking into the bedroom) were on the outside (hallway side) of the window. Kinda kills the privacy.

Decide on the type of floorplan then look at RV shows. Personally, I won't buy a unit based solely on the floorplan. I WANT to see one live, in person.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #12

We did it a little bit different. My wife picked out what she wanted inside and I picked out the storage and the outside. We figured since we were going to live in it that would work out the best.
We did not do it on the net. We went out to dealers and looked at them all. We had fun and we made the right choice for us and it has been great for 9 years.
Peaceful
Old 08-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing I forgot is to check and see how usable the kitchen and bath are with the slides in. Some block the frig and worse yet, all access to the bathroom.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #14

Location: Living my imperfect todays rather than waiting for my perfect tomorrow...
When I was looking at toy haulers, I was amazed at how many blocked the TV when the slide was in. Definitely an issue if you plan to do much parking lot boondocking. Then I noticed that some regular fifth wheels did as well.
Froggi Donna is offline   Reply With Quote