Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #15

The Binkley I had was a double pivot and still had a broken jaw.

The OP says off road however off road can mean different terrain to different folks.
I'm a country guy and off road to me means no road.
My silly bil is a city guy and off road to him means the gravel county road to get to my house .

OP just needs to be aware a two way pivoting 5th wheel hitch only has so much pivot angle before the pin starts to side load/twist the jaws. Thick jaw sets are not the best idea here.

Same with a GN ball hitch....but it has a much greater side pivot angle than any 5th wheel hitch trailer.
Yeah I popped more than one hitch off the ball on my GN stock trailers crossing creeks or a ditch at a angle getting into some farmers pasture when delivering or moving his horses/cows. Safety chains saved me.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #16

No matter what the movement of the hitch is/allows, there is ALWAYS going to be the possibility of a clearance problem when turning/backing sharply off-level. Be very aware of the pin box and the edge of your pickup bed, and the corners of the bed when in tight turning situations off-level.
You will also find that a fiver/TT suspension is nowhere near as forgiving as the suspension of the tow vehicle--be prepared for stuff to move around/cabinet doors opening and things falling out.
And, of course, there are different levels of "off-road" to consider...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #17

There are limits. Be careful
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1479831022.197384.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	144974
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #18

Yeah i'm not offroading anything like the pictures posted. Mostly reasonably well maintained dirt roads honestly. Just there is one spot where there are 2 humps that are cause for concern. The humps are about 3' from level and are shallow so it's a quick up and down.

I am going to try to level them out sounds like it could create issues with my hitch which is too high dollar to let happen. Thanks for the input
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #19

Even CG's can be tricky. The wife and I were cruising thru Diamond lake CG in Oregon one day looking for a spot. At the end of one of the loops there's a 180* turn that goes sharply uphill to the left. I could watch the 5er and truck bed during the turn. At the sharpest and steepest part I notice that my truck bed was within 1/2" of hitting a night light that's under the over hang on the front. That was the last thing I thought I needed to worry about. A TT would've never been an issue.
Like others have said it's the dips in the road that'll be the problem areas.
As far as really off-roading with any 5th wheel, you're really limited by the suspension. USA made 5ers are really arcaic. An I beam frame and leaf springs are not really suited for serious off roading. An independent suspension setup would be much better suited for going off the beaten path.
Driving down a gravel road can be done with any trailer.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:19 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Not that I've ever had a problem, but my buddy's, mother's, friend did on a tight turn, I - I mean HE - had to do
See what it did to the junction box mounted outside the back of the pin box ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burleson-Joshua-20140323-00196.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	383.8 KB
ID:	145147   Click image for larger version

Name:	junctionbox.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	145148