Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
Wow, i don't know what ribbed or lug tires are i figured they'd be either all weather or all terrain or M / S or something like that
Ribbed are the smooth tires with a non aggressive tread (some call them highway tires), lug are the all terrain, M&S, etc that have a much more aggressive tread.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #16

We park in the sand at the dunes and our duel wheel mohos only get stuck occasionally where the duel wheel trucks with 5ers even when loaded get stuck a lot. We’ve talked about it over the years but can’t figure out why.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:40 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
We park in the sand at the dunes and our duel wheel mohos only get stuck occasionally where the duel wheel trucks with 5ers even when loaded get stuck a lot. We’ve talked about it over the years but can’t figure out why.
So if I don't park in the sand, I'm good to go....right?
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
The reason is the PSI (pounds per square inch) of tire on the ground.

For example: 4,500 lbs on two tires has twice as much weight per tire on the ground than four tires. Each tire will have 2,250 lbs on the contact patch on an SRW. The DRW will only have 1,125 lbs per tire. When you spread the load across a greater area, there is less friction.

Pickup trucks get lousy traction with an empty bed for this very reason (relatively light weight). A DRW is even worse — when empty.

2 or 4 wheel drive has nothing to do with it... although having 4wd helps get out of situations when the rear isn’t getting traction.
I think you've invented some new physics. Friction is equal to the normal force (weight) times the coefficient of friction. Surface area has nothing to do with it/

Imagine a brick, where all sided have the same finish, and thus, the same coefficient of friction. Lay it flat, set it on edge, or stand it on end. Each case will have drastically different surface area, but exactly the same amount of friction.

See https://www.school-for-champions.com...3Zch1hEhttp://

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
I think you've invented some new physics. Friction is equal to the normal force (weight) times the coefficient of friction. Surface area has nothing to do with it/

Imagine a brick, where all sided have the same finish, and thus, the same coefficient of friction. Lay it flat, set it on edge, or stand it on end. Each case will have drastically different surface area, but exactly the same amount of friction.

Joel
So, are you saying the amount of friction is the same for 2 tires as 4 tires, given the weight it the same? If so, why do the dually dudes get stuck on wet grass when SRW don't....based on what I've read about them...
Old 03-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
So, are you saying the amount of friction is the same for 2 tires as 4 tires, given the weight it the same? If so, why do the dually dudes get stuck on wet grass when SRW don't....based on what I've read about them...
I didn't say that at all. What I said, is that friction is independent of surface area. Tires are a complicated question. unlike solid objects, they deform when loaded, and the coefficient of friction is (at least partly) a function of the deformation.Dual tires may have a lower coefficient because they deform less, but it is not a function of surface area.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Based on the number of folks pulling with DRW's, I'm going to conclude that it's not going to be a problem.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
Going to depend on a number of things. Without getting too complex.

Our MH has 14,000 on front and 23,000 on drive (tag air dumped). Plus a trailer with 12,000.

Guessing at the truck and trailer as I do not have the numbers with us. Truck will have 4,000 on front tires, 10,000 on drive and 14,000 on trailer.

Truck has less traction than MH.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #23

I'm almost eight weeks into my first dually, so picked it up in early February, aka the dead of winter, and have been driving it most days, heavy snowstorms included. I find it handles the snow just like a SRW truck, city or highway, deep snow or not.

I too was concerned about this but it has turned out to be a big non-issue.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 380FL
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali dually with 6.6L Duramax and B&W Companion hitch
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #24

I have owned a dually 4x4 since 1995. Driven in the northeast and Canada the more weight the better but that is true with any truck unless it's overloaded
The Weather dictates how you drive with any truck
Many a SUV has driven by me only to be off the road in a snow storm heading to Vermont to go snowmobiling
08Carriage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #25

I used to drive a dually as a daily driver in wi. Never had any problems with the snow. Used the 4x4 occasionally when needed. Even rescued a stuck camper that was digging holes because they were 4x2. Once you get used to driving it, really no condition will get you stuck, as long as your smart about it.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post

Joel
Would that be static friction or dynamic friction? How much friction exists if the MH is not moving or trying to move? What about rolling friction or Viscose friction? Does that come into play?

Surface area does indeed contribute to the Force of friction. It affects the coefficient of friction which varies depending om multiple factors, not just the material and finish.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok, here's what we know.

DRW's have 4 rear tires, SRW's have 2 rear tires. Friction has something to do with it. And people up north who know how to drive in snow, don't really have problems, but some people who drive on the beach do. It'll probably be fine if I'm smart about it.

Got it....good thread.