Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with recommendation #2.. Tethford does not make Rubber Roofs, Dicor does.

Tethford makes a bunch of products designed more to make them profit than to help we RVers.. though in fairness they make some good stuff too.

Mop, (or in my case a "Van Wash" brush (Long handle car wash brush) a window washer's brush (Fuller Brush, I used to sell 'em) will work too)

Bucket

Spic & Span

Charge (Means pressurized with water) Garden hose with sprayer attachment for the "RINSE" step, also useful to refill the bucket when your mop water gets dirty.

(In fact I take the bucket up.. Dry)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #16

Sure appreciate learning what caulk Keystone recc's for roof repair. I don't have any tears or seam problems now but would like to be prepared with the right stuff.
Just washed ours with a soft brush and car soap. Lot of dirt came off but did little for stains and streaks. I do it from a ladder, so probably don't apply as much pressure.
Ray
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abneynormal View Post
rvs have a thin roof membrane its not like a commercial rubber roof.
That depends on the manufacturer, some do indeed have roof membranes like commercial buildings. Newmar uses BriteTEK which is a TPO product with a 12 year warranty.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I agree with recommendation #2.. Tethford does not make Rubber Roofs, Dicor does.
A correction her: Dicor does not make rubber roofs. They are the major supplier to the RV industry. The actual products are made by other companies like Carlisle SynTec.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #19

This is what Dicor recommends today: Dicor rubber roof maintenance and care.
Prior to selling a line of roof care products, this is what Dicor recommended for rubber roof care and cleaning:

52878 Airport Parkway - P.O. Box 1806 - Elkhart, IN 46515 - Ph: (574) 264-2699 - Fax (574) 293-2017

CLEANING MOLD AND/OR MILDEW FROM RUBBER ROOFING

MATERIALS NEEDED: BUCKET OF WATER
SPONGE
MEDIUM BRISTLE BRUSH
TILEX BATHROOM CLEANER

There are no ingredients in EPDM rubber roofing that will promote the growth of mold
and/or mildew. Atmospheric dirt, shade, sun, humidity and moisture are some of the
contributing factors that form mold and/or mildew. Regular cleaning of your rubber roof will
help prevent mold and/or mildew from forming on the EPDM roof. Dicor recommends that
you wash your roof an average of 3-4 times a year using a non-abrasive cleaner and a
medium plastic bristle brush.

Mold and/or mildew on your EPDM roof is simply a parasite that attaches itself to the roof
and grows – similar to bathroom mold that grows in your shower. It does not attack the
membrane but is unsightly and if allowed to grow will discolor the roof completely and may
become a stain that cannot be removed.

Please note, the removal of mold and/or mildew is not a job to be rushed.

Tilex is a bathroom cleaner that can be purchased at many grocery stores or discounts
stores. Tilex contains strong chemicals. The label on the bottle will indicate that the Tilex
should not come in contact with painted or aluminum surfaces. If it drips over the sidewalls
or comes in contact with painted or aluminum surfaces, wipe immediately with a damp
sponge.

WORK WITH A SMALL AREA in order to maintain the control. Spray a small area
approximately 2’ x 2’ with the Tilex. Allow the Tilex to remain on the roof for 3-10 minutes
per area. Scrub the area with the medium bristle brush. After scrubbing, wipe with a
damp cloth.

When finished with whatever time frame you intend to spend on the roof (whether you do
the entire roof or just a portion) rinse the roof thoroughly with a garden hose. BE SURE
TO RINSE WINDOWS AND SIDEWALLS ALSO.

Most often, one application is all that is needed to alleviate the problem. Depending on the
amount of mold and/or mildew and the length of time growing, more than one application
may be necessary.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
I usually wait until it gives a rainy day or two so the roof is soaking for quite a while then go up (in the rain if necessary) and just scrub with a soft brush and rinse. The rain makes the job a little easier and by not using any kind of cleaners I don't have to deal with streaks down the side of the 5er.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #21

12 years full-time 3 rv's. Dish-washing soap and a few drops of bleach and a soft long handled scrub brush. That is all you need no matter what ANYONE else swears to. . . Our current RV roof is 11 years old looks almost new.
tworootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I agree with TwoRootless. Our rig was delivered in July 2002, we live in Northeast North Carolina. Vey hot in summer with high humidity. Our rig has always been stored out side (no RV garage). Once a year (minimum) the roof is washed with Dawn dish detergent sometimes I add bleach but not too much or too often. The roof was resealed this year (2011) for the first time. We have never had a problem due to roof maintenance. Roof leaks are another matter, be sure you take prompt action at the first sign of a roof leak.
p.s. I have found washing the roof keeps black streaks to a minimum.
Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote