Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #1

How do you minimize bug/ tar hits to your FW?

I'm trying to determine the easiest way to deal with cleaning and minimizing that dreaded bugwash we all have to do after a long drive that results in hundreds of dead-bugs splattered all over the front cap.
cptgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
I've seen the big wings on the roof of some trucks that supposedly does the trick but honestly I just put a nice thick coat or Meguires Premium Marine wax on the nose. They come off pretty easily during a wash.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #3

Don't know how to keep from getting them but if you wait till a good rain and just as it is ending, they will come off easily.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #4

Quote:
...but honestly I just put a nice thick coat or Meguires Premium Marine wax on the nose. They come off pretty easily during a wash.
This ↑↑↑

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Boogie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:47 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't drive at night, our dawn, or dusk, or even summer, spring and fall are bad too.
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #6

Ever since I got a truck that is 13' tall the cap is bug free,the shape of the top of the truck sleeper seems immune too .so win win.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #7

We are shopping for a Volvo HDT and I was wondering about just that. Thank you.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #8

Glenn, the biggest hits seem to be the visor over the windshield,short handled brush standing on the engine and we are clean and good to go :-)
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #9

If you wax it real good before, and right before you head out put a nice coat of WD-40 on the cap; you will be able to just wipe off whatever actually sticks. We do this on our racecar bodywork and it lets the mud just fall off with a quick tap.
JesterJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmasters View Post
Don't drive at night, our dawn, or dusk, or even summer, spring and fall are bad too.
Totally agree. As a last resort, swerve to avoid them. I've heard Bat urine mixed with Rainx is a good deterrent but it is hard to find and harder to collect.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
When we had our 5th wheel I order on line some of the transit shield that you see being used on new units being delivered. Comes in clear or white, self adhesive on one side. Slick, get where you are going and just pull it off and throw away. Randy
Old 11-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Use Rejex on the entire front. It works!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
Totally agree. As a last resort, swerve to avoid them. I've heard Bat urine mixed with Rainx is a good deterrent but it is hard to find and harder to collect.
I hate waiting for a bat to pee....
vt skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #14

Just wondering? Mine is a 40' .. Cant you just drive around the bugs?
Really, I saw a post where Sknight said marine wax.. And another said after a rain. Remember that alot of the front caps are fiberglass resin with automotive clear coat.
And then the graphics. So pressure washing will bite you down the road and cleaners will dull or scuff the finish. So soak it with a hose or rain while using a bit of wax and it will clean easy. Not instant, but easy.
jonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote