Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2023, 07:09 AM   #1

How do you personally rate the top of the line 5th wheels?

Not looking to start a flame war, but curious how, particularly those who've seen them, rate the "top of the top" 5'ers? Feel free to add others to the list, but here's what I consider top end and how I feel they land:

1) Spacecraft
2) New Horizons
3) Luxe

Spacecraft is in a whole different category. They are incredibly nice inside, but they're not something most people are going to pull for a weekend away with the family, more a "destination trailer", a vacation home that you can move with a semi.

New Horizons, from what I saw, is the best that you MIGHT be able to tow without a semi (some of their models). Lots of really unique and custom stuff (mini-splits! Wow).

Luxe is "semi-custom", they're not going to build you the trailer you want, but will customize what they have to better suit your needs. More "off the shelf" components, but well executed.
Overtaxed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2023, 04:01 PM   #2

I have never seen a Spacecraft, I don’t believe I have ever seen a New Horizon (maybe I did and didn’t know it) and I have seen many Luxe but know nothing about their build quality. It is supposed to be pretty good I guess. Only know what I read. I do know that personally, I don’t care for their curb appeal. They look like a blocky box to me. But obviously not to those who buy them. Now, the all black Luxe that was parked next to us last week (looked like a swat trailer to me), was being pulled by a beautiful Black Ram 5500 Luxe Hauler…..really, really nice truck.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:48 PM   #3

Evergreen Owners Club
I’d rate New Horizon the top, Spacecraft is really like a Provost motor home. Main issue with New Horizon is their 24 plus lead time. I currently have a Redwood and would rate it one of the top units.
Old 03-28-2023, 03:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by artpe54 View Post
I’d rate New Horizon the top, Spacecraft is really like a Provost motor home. Main issue with New Horizon is their 24 plus lead time. I currently have a Redwood and would rate it one of the top units.
NH lead time is long; and I tend to agree with you, SC is just in another category entirely. They are connected to a 5th wheel, but, from there back, it's just a different animal. Very nice, and if I was committed to towing with a semi, they would be on my list, no question, but they're not really what most would consider a "production" unit.

What I do find interesting, the MSRP for most of the models in any of the brands I mentioned is 300K+. Which, no question, is a LOT of money, but compared to class A DP's, it's kind of "starting range", and up from there we go.

What do you think the grand total combined yearly production of SC/NH/Luxe is? 100 units? Maybe 200? It seems strange to me that there's enough room in the 300K+ class A market for there to be dozens of manufacturers who likely sell 1000's of units a year (maybe 10,000's?) across all of them but, when you get into 5'ers that are the same range of price, you wind up with a tiny list of people even making them and an even smaller number of units produced per year.

My wife's take on this; "Our parents generation wants huge class A's and they have all the money". Seems plausible, but I do find it a little odd that the market has such a hard ceiling for 5'ers where for DP's, a machine that offers very similar functionality, the max appears to be at least several times higher before you get into really niche/custom builders.
Old 03-29-2023, 11:14 AM   #5

Check out FR Riverstone they are up there wit Lux and Mobile Suites . They have a forum as do the others where you can get first hand knowledge from the owners .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 05:03 AM   #6

We spent a full year researching fifth wheels before deciding on a New Horizons in 2008 for fulltiming. 14 years & 175K miles later, we're still happy with our choice. It has held up remarkably well as our only home. We've been to every state at least once & Alaska twice with it. If you don't want to have to upgrade or replace every few years, New Horizons is probably your best choice. You'll spend a lot of money up front, but in the long run, you'll probably save a lot of hassle & possibly some money.
freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 05:27 AM   #7

Actually the very top of the line are Anderson Mobile Suites but they are in the several millions category and I highly doubt anyone outside of the super rich would be looking at them.
Old 04-03-2023, 06:13 AM   #8

Semi Trailer 5th wheel frames:

Anderson Mobile Estates

Spacecraft Manufacturing

Traditional 5th wheel frames

Spacecraft Manufacturing

New Horizons

Those are the custom builders.

Although I would also put NH in the semi-custom category based on our meetings and tour, they are still a step above Luxe, DRV, in that regards.

Mass production 5th wheels - take your pick of the Lippert framed "products"

Different needs, different budgets
Old 04-04-2023, 04:20 AM   #9

I forgot about Anderson; good add, and I agree, from what I know of them, they are the very top of the top.

I'd also agree that NH is above Luxe; those are the two that we were seriously shopping and, while we chose a Luxe, it wasn't because it was better, it was availability (we could get one) and price; but clearly a step down from NH.
Old 04-04-2023, 06:02 AM   #10

We also researched for many many years, going to shows, doing factory tours, talking with owners, exploring forums, watching Youtubes, etc. That process eliminated all of the mass production units for us, Grand design, DRV, Luxe, Forest River, etc.

As far as numbers produced each year, we asked that question when we did the factory tours and Spacecraft does 10-12 a year. NH 24 per year. They both had backlogs with waiting lists. Personally I dont think you would go wrong with either, just depends on what you want to compromise on.

Old 04-04-2023, 11:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Check out FR Riverstone they are up there wit Lux and Mobile Suites . They have a forum as do the others where you can get first hand knowledge from the owners .
NOTHING Forest River makes is "up there". Not even close.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
NOTHING Forest River makes is "up there". Not even close.

That is your opinion . Have you looked or been inside one ? Contrary to what you think their Riverstone is a quality made trailer .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
That is your opinion . Have you looked or been inside one ? Contrary to what you think their Riverstone is a quality made trailer .
I've been in them, I have owned them, including a 300K class A. Let me repeat, NONE of them are top of the line. Maybe a 7 out of 10 but that's about it. They all have RECURRING quality issues. And that is not only my opinion. That is the opinion of the many owners I have helped over the years. See links below.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 12:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
I've been in them, I have owned them, including a 300K class A. Let me repeat, NONE of them are top of the line. Maybe a 7 out of 10 but that's about it. They all have RECURRING quality issues. And that is not only my opinion. That is the opinion of the many owners I have helped over the years. See links below.
But have you been in a Riverstone? I think you are lumping all Forest River into one bucket, which may not be fair given the brands they have bought and the breadth of their product lines. I will not argue the recurring issues, but I am not sure it is specific to FR and also not sure the luxury brands don't also have component issues if they are using the same commodity LCI parts.
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel