Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #15

We currently own our last fifth wheel which is 31 ft. It fits our needs perfectly. But having been on these forums for a while I recognize that our needs are completely different than many others.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
We're looking at either a Northwoods Mfg OR an Outdoors RV Mfg Fiver in the 32-35 foot range. Wish the floor plans were a little more updated though.
I agree.

I spend a lot of time in the "form follows function" and "function follows form" argument in my head.

I *think* I've come to the conclusion that I would prefer function over form with regard to aesthetics within reason. But it's a tough thing to get through. It's not a decision to be taken lightly with so many dollars at stake.

I've also looked at the reflections, and they have some points I like, and some others I don't like.

For me to get my hands on an ORV would require a ton of additional effort being that they are all for sale an incredible distance from me. I can get a reflection around the corner, but I'm not convinced the reflection is a solid unit -- to be fair though, I haven't spent a lot of time looking at them. So in their defense, might be a fine unit.

I am mostly convinced the ORV is likely a solid, rugged machine. That's a plus for sure.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #17

Our 2007 is 34' total length (King pin to rear cap)

We FTd for 7 yrs
Moved weekly........we went FT to travel and see the USA

Still have 5vr.
Going to sell it and go to a small bumper pull or another FW
Under 25'

No longer FTng ---needs have changed.
Back to 'camping' vs 'RVng'
More backwoods---isolated areas
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgtyd View Post
We're on our last of 4 fivers, each one getting a little bigger. We now have a Montana 3160 which is 35'6". We love it. It's a very comfortable floor plan for us and we have that wonderful king bed. We traveled a lot this las year, went over 18 states and about 12,000 miles in one trip. No towing issues and with the auto leveling, it was breeze to set up. We had numerous one night stays and, unless we needed to go shopping, we usually didn't even unhook.
When you DIDNT unhook...did you put the Front Landing Gear down?

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #19

If we don't unhook I do put the gear down but do not use auto level. I run the back down until they lift the trailer slightly then the front down until level. Tweak it side to side and call it good. Not quite as stable as it would be if I unhooked and did the full Monty but close enough. YMMV
Old 01-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #20

If I was going to travel I wouod want a 3 slide 32' trailer. If I was not going to travel give me a tiny house.

I am seeing $50,000 tiny houses that beat any 50k 5th wheel. Heck they even beat the very best New Horizons, Space Craft and Continental Coach.

After seeing what and how they build tiny houses it kinda shows how much the RV industry is ripping off campers. Way to much overhead with Presidents, Vice Presidents, etc. etc.

I will never buy another RV.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #21

I already bought my last 5th wheel - 41'. No need to ever go smaller.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
If I was going to travel I wouod want a 3 slide 32' trailer. If I was not going to travel give me a tiny house.

I am seeing $50,000 tiny houses that beat any 50k 5th wheel. Heck they even beat the very best New Horizons, Space Craft and Continental Coach.

After seeing what and how they build tiny houses it kinda shows how much the RV industry is ripping off campers. Way to much overhead with Presidents, Vice Presidents, etc. etc.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
I already bought my last 5th wheel - 41'. No need to ever go smaller.
Glad it works for you...seems like you're in the minority though, which is no biggy! As for us, we're with the majority in the 35' range as we'll bo on the road fairly often!

Old 01-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

I need substantiation here.

Yes, I agree that the RV industry on a whole is a rip off when you consider $ vs what you receive.. but the tiny house industry? I'll need more proof.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:48 AM   #25

Quote:
We're looking at either a Northwoods Mfg OR an Outdoors RV Mfg Fiver in the 32-35 foot range. Wish the floor plans were a little more updated though.
X3

We are currently FT in a 32’ 5er, if we were to change we would likely get an AF 29-5k, 35’. The floor plan is very much like our Copper Canyon wit a large rear kitchen.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:00 AM   #26

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Glad it works for you...seems like you're in the minority though, which is no biggy! As for us, we're with the majority in the 35' range as we'll bo on the road fairly often!
I guess I too am in the minority. We had a 34’ Class A and upgraded to our last RV a 42’ Silverback 5th Wheel. I will give up any inconvenience of driving or finding a place to camp for the extra room inside (yes it has a king bed).
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Then perfect length for us is the 39' Heartland Landmark 365 "Oshkosh" that we just bought.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:08 AM   #28

Ours is 40 ft and wish it was 35. One of our goals when shopping for 5er was to access bed, bath and fridge when slides were in. We couldn’t find a 35 that allowed that.
wnorton is offline   Reply With Quote