Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

How Many Miles on Fifth Wheel Tires?

How many miles should I be able to get on fifth wheel tires. I searched Google and this forum and did not see a good answer to my question. I have a 2015 Forrest River Cedar Creek 36 foot fifth wheel with two axles. I recently replaced my tires after 16,400 miles. One in particular was worn down to the steel belt on the outer edge and another was showing significant wear on the outer edge. I actually noticed the uneven wear about 8,000 miles ago. The trailer weighs under 14,000 pounds empty and is by no means overloaded. Both excessively worn tires were on the back axle and I did find some information indicating that the back axle tires wear quicker. The Tires were Double King ST235/80R16 and were on the trailer when I bought it new in January 2015. The tires were rated for 65 MPH and that is what I drove. I kept them inflated at the recommended pressure of 65 PSI.

I have had two tandem axle bumper-pull trailers and a bus and have never had this problem. On my first trailer, the tires aged out before they wore out. This is my first fifth wheel. I know you get some "scrubbing" on turns, but 16k seems kind of low mileage to me. The tire guy did say that the bearing seemed a little loose on the tire that was worn the worst, but he did not know how many miles I should expect on the tires, only that he was unfamiliar with the brand I had. I will have it in for an annual inspection in January for warranty purposes and will ask the dealership about the tire wear. However, I thought I would ask how many miles other folks get on their fifth wheel tires.

BTW, I replaced the tires with Carlisle ST235 /80 R16 124L E1 BSB. They are 10 ply and have a speed rating of 75 MPH. I am unfamiliar with the brand, but I hope to have better luck with them as we will be full-timing in a couple of months after we sell or lease the house.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I have included photos of the tires and the wear pattern.
Attached Images

Lesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #2

There's not usually a number of miles. Definitely change tires after a few years or if sitting too long. Otherwise if you're driving a lot, you just have to keep checking for wear and damage. The only piece of mind comes from buying really good tires, like I use G rated Goodyears. Even then I'm checking them constantly. I've got 13,000 rough miles on mine and they still look good.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:17 PM   #3

RV Tires rarely wear out (AGE OUT 5-7 yrs)
UNLESS something is wrong
Under-inflated, overloaded, axle alignment, cheap tires etc

You stated 5vr weighs under 14,000 empty.....how much does it weigh loaded up camp ready?
You stated you run them at 65PSI......everything I find about that Brand/Size indicates MAX LOAD 3520# at 80 PSI.
Where did you get the 65psi?

You stated tire guy thought bearing was loose on worst worn tire.......did you have bearings adjusted/reset?

Outer edge wear indicates loss of chamber.....alignment issue
PLUS cheap Chinese tires and only 65psi

My 5vr weighs 14,000# with 7K axles and 'G' rated 110# tires
7 yrs FT traveling weekly.....G rated tires good for 5 yrs (roughly 60,000 miles plus)
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:56 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Agree with under-inflation. Bearings could be a problem as could misaligned axle(s). Don't think camber would do it without some other problem helping.

Biggest thing is to look at the DOT born on date stamp. This shows the week number and year each tire is made. ST tires will seldom last more than five years as they have no reserves to them. LT tires will last longer, but I wouldn't keep them beyond seven years.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #5

I am surprise that the air pressure is 65 PSI recommend for your trailer tires. I have a 2016, 34RL Cedar Creek and the recommended tire air pressure for my tires is 110 PSI. I have also weighed my trailer and the axle weight for both axles combined is 10,000 LBS.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #6

RV Tires rarely wear out (AGE OUT 5-7 yrs)
UNLESS something is wrong
Under-inflated, overloaded, axle alignment, cheap tires etc

You stated 5vr weighs under 14,000 empty.....how much does it weigh loaded up camp ready?
You stated you run them at 65PSI......everything I find about that Brand/Size indicates MAX LOAD 3520# at 80 PSI.
Where did you get the 65psi?

You stated tire guy thought bearing was loose on worst worn tire.......did you have bearings adjusted/reset?

Outer edge wear indicates loss of chamber.....alignment issue
PLUS cheap Chinese tires and only 65psi

My 5vr weighs 14,000# with 7K axles and 'G' rated 110# tires
7 yrs FT traveling weekly.....G rated tires good for 5 yrs (roughly 60,000 miles
plus)

Thanks for the response. Honestly, I have not weighed the trailer loaded; I know I should. Actually, UVW is 10,880, so I am now guessing <13K loaded, as I typically dump tanks and travel with just 1/3 fresh and we travel pretty light. I tow with a 2014 non-dually F250 Ford diesel with no problem going up and down hills or stopping. We have spend considerable time in Western and Eastern mountains. The axle dry weight is 8813 lbs/axle.

65 PSI was on the sidewall and that is how they came inflated, so that is what I ran them at. I believe they were cheap tires. The new tires are E rated with speed rating of L and require 80 PSI. I will have the bearings looked as well as axle alignment at when I take it in for warranty inspection in January.

It is good to know you get 60K for 5 years. That is more in line with what I would expect. That answers my question and I thank you again for your response. I would not run much more than 5 years unless no UV damage. The tires I bought are "fresh", 19/2016.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #7

The more I research, the more I believe I ran these tires under inflated. In spite of what was on the sidewall and pressure they had from the dealer, it appears these tires should run at 80 PSI, not 65 PSI. The new tires run at 80 PSI. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
ST tires should always be run at max inflation.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:36 AM   #9

With the wear mostly on one axle, I would suspect a camber problem on that axle.
You definitely need some loaded, ready-to-camp weights to help you figure things out.
Also, definitely need the alignment checked, probably by a professional axle shop, not just the dealer. If you have an axle problem, the new tires won't solve that.
Double King are just basic Chinese tires, Carlisle are a step up. Consider Maxxis next changeout, AFTER you are sure the axles are ok.
I would not think running 65 on an 80psi tire would cause this wear by itself--unless the rear axle is overloaded, or running nose-up badly.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires