Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2022, 03:45 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
How much damage?

I was having the bearings repacked, suspension lubed and the brakes checked at a local trailer service company. While they were moving the 5er with a forklift , somehow it "popped" off the fork tine and dropped. When it hit the ground the landing gear spring bolts sheared off and the rig dropped about 20 inches more. During the fall the fork tine punctured the front cap.

The company says they will be taking care of the damage and my question is Should I have them replace the landing gear and get the frame inspected for any possible damage? The landing gear likely is not built to withstand that much impact and compromised even if it works now. If the frame has been damaged it would become a really big deal. The fiberglass front cap is the least of my worries as a good body shop can repair and repaint to look like new and it also does not impact the structure and operation of the rig.

I would appreciate some expert advice. I do believe I will be filing a claim with my insurance company.

Thanks
Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2022, 05:04 PM   #2

Should I have them replace the landing gear and get the frame inspected for any possible damage?

YES.......
when the landing gear smacked down with enough force to shear the pins the assembly was damaged
when the inner leg slammed up into the driven leg (after the pins sheared) they were damaged
When the driven legs were impacted the thrust bearing, drive screw and helix gears were damaged

TWO new landing gear assemblies

Pay attention to the landing gear attachment points/clamps-bolts
The vertical frame members they attach to took the hit also

As for filing with your Ins Company......YES
That is why you have insurance...let them deal with the Service Company
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:33 PM   #3

I would most certainly insist the coach be in the same condition as when it arrived.. no question!
mickeybitsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:41 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Here are some of the photos of the damage. Wondering also what the circled parts are from. They weren't there when before and I could not find anything on the jacks that appeared to be broken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	watermarked-20220520_123122 adj.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	366289   Click image for larger version

Name:	watermarked-20220520_123131 adj.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	366290  

Name:	watermarked-20220520_123146 adj.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	366291   Click image for larger version

Name:	watermarked-20220520_123615 adj.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	366292  

Name:	watermarked-20220520_123602 adj.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	366293   Click image for larger version

Name:	watermarked-20220520_123624 adj.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	366294  

Old 05-22-2022, 10:20 PM   #5

I would explain the situation to an expert at Northwood Industries and see what their recommendation is. Replace the landing gear assemblies for sure. It is probably a good thing you have a heavy duty in-house built frame. Sorry this happened.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:26 AM   #6

Why these guys were carrying a 5ver on just the forks is beyond me.

From the photos I would say there is no frame damage.

Also, am I the only one that thinks the stack of 2x4's could topple over with just the slightest nudge?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	watermarked-20220520_123602 adj.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	366322  
Old 05-23-2022, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Why these guys were carrying a 5ver on just the forks is beyond me.

From the photos I would say there is no frame damage.

Also, am I the only one that thinks the stack of 2x4's could topple over with just the slightest nudge?
Many Dealerships and Repair Shops use forklifts to move trailers around....very maneuverable in tight areas
They usually have ball adapters for trailers and King Pin adapters for 5vrs.
How they dropped it would be a story unto itself.........

As for those 2x4's ---yeah the three stacked on top of each other is NOT a rigid/stable why to crib it

From the pixs you can see the landing gear assembly was forced upward with enough force to bend the mounting bolt and leave thread impressions in the metal
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Many Dealerships and Repair Shops use forklifts to move trailers around....very maneuverable in tight areas
They usually have ball adapters for trailers and King Pin adapters for 5vrs.
How they dropped it would be a story unto itself.........
That's exactly what I'm sayin'.

I've made a couple of different fork extension/adapters for my forklift to move cars, pull engines, wide loads, etc.
Never had a single problem.

But from the OP it sounds like they were picking it up with a (single) fork.
I would luv to hear that tale too.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:02 AM   #9

I am so thankful I have the knowledge & physical ability to do all of this service work myself! Some of this stuff like an oil change on a car doesn't save you much money, but I don't have to worry about whether it was done right or not. I figure I only have a few more years left before I physically won't be able to do this stuff myself. Then I will be that old guy with a cane watching over them the whole time they do the service.
REALLY sorry this happened to you sir! Hopefully they will get you all fixed up & back on the road soon.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:48 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
I am in the camp of replace the landing gear.
Unless they are hydraulic, it is a screw and nut used to raise an lower the gear. The nut tends to gall on a drop like that and that is the beginning of the death of the unit..

I speak from experience. If the landing gear even hesitate slightly - they are most likely done. I had one of mine damaged while in service and locked up at home. Warranty would cover it but only at the dealer. In order to get it covered under warranty I would have had to pay a mobile mechanic $250 to get the unit hooked up in order to cover an $167 part.