Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2020, 07:56 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As for driving, Ford does a bad job of aligning the F250, F350 and F450 trucks. make sure the tires are aired up properly and get to a good independent truck alignment shop to get the alignment set properly.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #16

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogus View Post
Looking for some direction on a truck to pull a 5ver. We’re looking to change direction and have been researching for the last few months; in spite of all the reading, YouTube, etc. “I’m”, still confused on what a Ford F-350 Dually 2020 Diesel, Crew-cab, 8’ bed, can tow.

We are looking to move from a Newmar 40’ Class A Gasser to a 5th wheel.

This would be a FT home for us. We are looking at a DRV Houston or a couple of other mfg (Luxe) in similar floor plans.

We looked at new F350s today at a local dealer. The door sticker says the GVWR for the one we looked at is 14,000 lbs. We also saw a 2019 F450 at an incredible discount...same GVWR. The 2020 F350 drove much better than the F450...equipped as Lariats both.

How do we start to make heads or tails of if this F350 is capable of pulling a rig the size of the DRV Houston? The GVWR of the Houston is 24,000 (memory).

Thanks for your help and direction and instruction. I have pictures of the trucks we test drove today so I can give all the info on actual #s.

We really are looking to move to 5ver and need direction.

Remember, with a fifth wheel, it's not all about towing capacity, it's =way= more about PAYLOAD. There's a sticker on the door pillar that will tell you what that =specific= truck's payload is, as it differs from unit to unit, depending on options. Since you're looking at 450's, too, don't forget that there are some 350's that have a =higher= payload than some 450's; you need to be sure, if you're going to a 450, that you get the =right= 450 if you don't want to fall into that trap. Ignore GVW numbers and concentrate on payload numbers. Now, if you're into a =really= big FW, then you need to get a specifically kitted out 450 which, I think you'll find, will have a =higher= GVW than any 350 can have, but I'm not a Ford guy, so am not sure on that. With a FW of that weight, you may need to be looking at medium duty trucks, like a Freightliner Sport Chassis to carry the near 6000 lb pin weight.

Lyle
Old 05-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post
Remember, with a fifth wheel, it's not all about towing capacity, it's =way= more about PAYLOAD. There's a sticker on the door pillar that will tell you what that =specific= truck's payload is, as it differs from unit to unit, depending on options. Since you're looking at 450's, too, don't forget that there are some 350's that have a =higher= payload than some 450's; you need to be sure, if you're going to a 450, that you get the =right= 450 if you don't want to fall into that trap. Ignore GVW numbers and concentrate on payload numbers. Now, if you're into a =really= big FW, then you need to get a specifically kitted out 450 which, I think you'll find, will have a =higher= GVW than any 350 can have, but I'm not a Ford guy, so am not sure on that. With a FW of that weight, you may need to be looking at medium duty trucks, like a Freightliner Sport Chassis to carry the near 6000 lb pin weight.

Lyle

Ford keeps the same max GVWR, 14k, on the F350 and F450 super duty pickups. This keeps them at class 3 trucks. The chassis cab F450 is a class 4 and the chassis cab F550 is a class 5 vehicle.

If getting a really heavy 5ver you need go to chassis cab and then have an outfitter put a towing bed on it, this can be arranged by dealer. Ford's website lists these under Commercial vehicles.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our ORV fifth wheel has a GVWR of 13000. We tow it with a 2014 F350 diesel superduty long bed Lariat.

No issues in three + years. Diesel pulls like an ox up the mountains.

If I was to get a three axle trailer I would upgrade to a new larger tow vehicle. But then here in Calif, my registration would be much higher.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
You really need to know the GVWR of any trailer that you are considering. Using the GVWR of the trailer in order to do the calculations gives you a "worst case scenario". You may never load the trailer to the GVWR, but if you do, or at least come close to that number, you will have a big enough truck that is up to the task. Both the F450 and the F350 (both Duallies obviously) have the same GVWR....14,000 lbs, but the F450 will always have less payload capacity if the two trucks are the same trim/configuration package. The reason is that Ford wanted to keep them at a max GVWR of 14,000 lbs and the F450 has less payload because of bigger tires, bigger brakes, etc....thus a usual 500 lbs or so difference in payload capacity. I have no idea what the GVWR is on the trailers you are looking at, but if you use the GVWR number for the trailer, then multiple that number by a minimum of 20%, you will get an approximation of the amount of pin weight that it will put on the truck. Some 5ver camping trailers will be heavier than others and that 20% number may actually be 22,23, even 24 or 25%.....so it pays to use the GVWR number instead of anything less.

And there is really no need to worry about "Towing Capacity", as in the title to your thread. Almost ALL 5th Wheel Camping type trailers (not flatbed utility trailers), will exceed the payload numbers long before they reach the "Towing Capacity" for the truck.
Thanks xrated, that is really helpful...on the stickers (and on the Ford Fleet info sheet), the 350 does have a higher payload! That was surprising! The heaviest trailer we’re looking at so far has a GVWR of 24,000.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post

Lyle
Thanks Lyle! That is what I have learned from you all! And now some of those YouTube videos I’ve watched and scratched my head at are starting to make sense. I guess I need to read it to understand it.

I thought the tow rating was what was critical.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Our ORV fifth wheel has a GVWR of 13000. We tow it with a 2014 F350 diesel superduty long bed Lariat.

No issues in three + years. Diesel pulls like an ox up the mountains.

If I was to get a three axle trailer I would upgrade to a new larger tow vehicle. But then here in Calif, my registration would be much higher.
That is also something to consider and perhaps we need to look at a slightly smaller trailer just for that. All considerations we didn’t think about.

This is all different than the MH. We didn’t get our toad vehicle (Jeep) until 8 months after purchase and I researched the heck out of it. That was easy compared to this.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Thanks xrated, that is really helpful...on the stickers (and on the Ford Fleet info sheet), the 350 does have a higher payload! That was surprising! The heaviest trailer we’re looking at so far has a GVWR of 24,000.
With GVWR numbers that high, a standard F350/F450 Dually most likely isn't going to cut it...unless you want a very base model truck (basically a work truck) with the XL trim, regular cab and probably two wheel drive. You may or may not want a truck like that, and if not, your next step up is a F450 Chassis Cab and then having an appropriate bed/towing platform installed on it. A class 4 truck and go up to 16,000 lbs GVWR....and a Class 5 can go up to 19,500 lbs GVWR. Be prepared to spend some money on those....and check out your state's licensing regulations and cost.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:43 PM   #23

Grand Design Owners Club
I’m not suggesting you change brands by any means , but FYI. , A RAM 4500 can be had with a 15k , 16k , or 16.5k GVWR. This is from the build site.
Charlie
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:56 PM   #24

Based on a quick search that Huston has a GVWR of 24,000#, and an unloaded weight of 19,700# +/- that is about 4,300# of carrying capacity, that is a lot of stuff, but then again you are full timing. It also appears the Huston is only tandem axles so pin will be 20% to 25% of GVWR. Well 25% is 6,000# and 20% is 4,800#, even with our 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW with a 5,411# payload on the sticker, the vehicle weighs 10,000# ready to tow leaving 4,000# of payload.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:50 PM   #25

You seemed to be surprised by how quiet the truck was. Truck owners since 2009 have been driving in very quiet trucks. Ford and Ram advertise triple sealed doors. GM probably the same

My 2012 F-450 King Ranch was very comfortable while towing. I towed 950 miles with just a 3 hour nap from Crystal River Florida to Columbus Ohio. My truck rode better towing. I also drove a 2011 Ram 3500 dually cab chassis with a hauler bed towing a 10,000lb empty 4 horse trailer slant with living quarters 550 miles. It too was very comfortable and quiet.

These 2020 trucks are on another level with a smooth quiet ride with more power and more speeds.

I would think a F-450 pick-up could tow these big 5th wheels but you might be better off like mentioned earlier to look at a F-450/550 cab chassis and have a nifty outfitter put a hauler bed on it. Just some though.

Ford redesign their superduty trucks for the 2017 model year. They used a high strength steel boxed frame which made the truck a lot better. Ram redesigned their truck in 2019 with a better stiffer frame and GM redesigned their truck with a better stiffer frame in 2020.

So now all three trucks are as close as ever in capability. If you look at all three trucks you will like them all. I think Ram has an 8 speed while GM and Ford have a 10 speed.

You will have less driving fatigue towing a 5th wheel than you had driving a Class A gas motorhome.

Now seems like a very good time to buy. I got an email from my local Ford Dealer. The email said $2000 more for my trade and 84mos. 0% interest.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:37 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
FYI, had a friend order a new F450 with the max payload of 7650. I think he paid around 90k and then Ford delivered it to Kelderman Suspension to have air suspension installed somewhere in the Midwest and he flew there and drove it home to California. Probably has way over 100k in it and says the ride is amazing. So if you own a trucking company like him, there you go! That’d tow that DRV but he’s only towing a 19k Landmark. Good luck whatever you decide!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:57 AM   #27

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Looking for some direction on a truck to pull a 5ver. We’re looking to change direction and have been researching for the last few months; in spite of all the reading, YouTube, etc. “I’m”, still confused on what a Ford F-350 Dually 2020 Diesel, Crew-cab, 8’ bed, can tow.

This would be a FT home for us. We are looking at a DRV Houston or a couple of other mfg (Luxe) in similar floor plans.

We looked at new F350s today at a local dealer. The door sticker says the GVWR for the one we looked at is 14,000 lbs. We also saw a 2019 F450 at an incredible discount...same GVWR. The 2020 F350 drove much better than the F450...equipped as Lariats both.

How do we start to make heads or tails of if this F350 is capable of pulling a rig the size of the DRV Houston? The GVWR of the Houston is 24,000 (memory).

Thanks for your help and direction and instruction. I have pictures of the trucks we test drove today so I can give all the info on actual #s.

Real simple.. look at the manufacturers tow specs. Forget about the tow expert wannabe's opinions and guesswork.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:58 AM   #28

Quote:

[emoji144]
Look at chassis cab 450 there rated much higher gvw wise. and get the truxk delivered to an upfitter and put the bed on it. pickup 450 are class 3 and 14k. chassis cabs go to like 19k.
if it rides to rough add a fuel tank behind the bed tools in the cabinets. a chassis cab or 4500 gm is a workhorse. an extra 1k wont bother it.

my onan weighs 800 and my mdt carries it around all the time. tools, air ride hitch platfo for. ive got prob 2k or more on it which more then most half tons can carry period. after my 5ver goes on and its 6100 pin weight still got a lil axle weight to spare.

Fuel mileage lol its a mule. mpg shouldnt even be a concern. youve got 20k and your lifes things behind you. why short change what tows it. get a capable tow rig that drv is going to get HEAVY full time.

lol youll put it on a diet and get rid of stuff from time time.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow