Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #43

this may be so basic it was overlooked. Did you check the fuse box for a tripped breaker?
Rscconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #44

The way to figure out whether the rest of the outlets are part of the daisy chain is to replace the GFCI with a regular outlet or to wire nut the wires together as described earlier. If that powers up the rest of the outlets then the issue is the GFCI. If you go that route mark the input side wires with tape or some other marker so you do not confuse them when you put the GFCI back. You should put that back when you are done.

The way to trouble shoot the problem once all the outlets are working is to disconnect them either all or one at a time with the GFCI in the circuit to see what one is causing the failure. If there is an outside socket I'd start there. Moisture will cause the GFCI to trip.

The microwave may be on it's own circuit. That would explain it working.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #45

UPDATE: In troubleshooting with my dealer, supporting the info provided in this forum - thanks guys! - I replaced the GFCI hoping it was faulty, but doing so didn't solve the problem. So I thought I’d visually inspect each linked outlet to see if there was anything obvious. I checked one at a time then tested one by one.

The GFCI-protected outlet in the basement LOOKED ok but there must be something wrong with it internally because after having jiggled that one and testing, all the outlets WORK!!!!

I have an onsite service visit booked for a few weeks from now when it can be replaced. But in the meantime, the mystery is solved!

I'd like to give Blair Sicard of Sicard RV well earned praise for responding to my email 10 minutes after I sent it... at 11 PM!!! And to his shop foreman, Kelly, for working with me and following up FIVE TIMES!
anthonynalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonynalli View Post
UPDATE: In troubleshooting with my dealer, supporting the info provided in this forum - thanks guys! - I replaced the GFCI hoping it was faulty, but doing so didn't solve the problem. So I thought I’d visually inspect each linked outlet to see if there was anything obvious. I checked one at a time then tested one by one.

The GFCI-protected outlet in the basement LOOKED ok but there must be something wrong with it internally because after having jiggled that one and testing, all the outlets WORK!!!!

I have an onsite service visit booked for a few weeks from now when it can be replaced. But in the meantime, the mystery is solved!

I'd like to give Blair Sicard of Sicard RV well earned praise for responding to my email 10 minutes after I sent it... at 11 PM!!! And to his shop foreman, Kelly, for working with me and following up FIVE TIMES!
Congrats on finding the problem. Since you said earlier that you changed out a GFCI you should have no problem replacing the bad outlet and permanently fixing your problem.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #47

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for posting the resolution.....we all learn this way.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #48
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #49

And life is good again
Old 04-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #50

Evergreen Owners Club
more electrical mystries

I have been following this with interest and thought you had my problem solved.

I first thought it was a problem with the GFCI outlet or the circuit, not sure now.

When the problem first happened I lost power in the GFCI circuit. But the GFCI outlet never tripped. Neither did the circuit breaker. So after reading this thread I replaced the GFCI plug with a regular "non GFCI" plug.
Thought all was ok. But It still continues.
I have also discovered that when it happened it also knocks out the wall plugs in the bedroom. Not on the GFCI circuit. The living and kitchen plugs work as designed. It has happened 5 to 6 time in the last few days.
Right now all is working ok but I expect the GREMLINS to strike any time.

I have tested using a ground fault tester on all affected outlets. All test good.

I am at a loss where to look now.

The unit is a 2018 Solitude 310GK

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracers31 View Post

I first thought it was a problem with the GFCI outlet or the circuit, not sure now.

When the problem first happened I lost power in the GFCI circuit. But the GFCI outlet never tripped. Neither did the circuit breaker. So after reading this thread I replaced the GFCI plug with a regular "non GFCI" plug.
I have also discovered that when it happened it also knocks out the wall plugs in the bedroom. Not on the GFCI circuit. The living and kitchen plugs work as designed. It has happened 5 to 6 time in the last few days.

I have tested using a ground fault tester on all affected outlets. All test good.

If I understand correctly the problem comes and goes on its own? (meaning you don't have to reset anything to make it start working again)

Are the bedroom plugs on the same circuit breaker as the GFI?

If so you may have a loose connection in an outlet similar to what anthonynalli found. If so it is probably in an outlet close to the circuit breaker.

You might want to check the circuit breaker to make sure the wire is properly secured there as well.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #52

Evergreen Owners Club
more electrical mystries

no the bedroom is not on the same circuit as the GFCI circuit.
When we had power to all outlets I flipped the GFCI breaker off and the bedroom outlets had power.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #53

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If that is the case, then you have a loose connection somewhere in the daisychain of wires. You will have to wait until it happens again, then back test with a VOM. Can be very time consuming. Dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

Or take it to the dealer. Hopefully he will only need it for a couple days.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:51 PM   #54

Evergreen Owners Club
more electrical mystries

Thanks for all the help.
I figured out.
One of the first things I checked yesterday when this began was the 50 amp service at the park. My surge protector showed all ok. After much frustration and almost giving up I retraced my steps today and found that the park 50 amp service did indeed drop a leg according to my surge protector.
It must have been a intermittent problem that finally gave up some time last night or this morning.
That explains the fact that it would come and go and we were loosing both the GFIC and the bedroom plugs when it went at the same time.
There two main breakers in the panel and it spits the two legs. That answers why the plugs in the living area always worked.
Switched to the 30 amp service and all is working as it should.
Will have the park fix the problem tomorrow
It's time for a beer.

Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:39 PM   #55

Quote:

Open up breaker panel & find the wires to the GFCI . If a 50 amp panel then you have a split bus neutral & ground . Make sure the white is on the neutral bus & the bare ground on the ground bus. I had the same problem.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:39 PM   #56

Quote:
Thanks for all the help.
I figured out.
One of the first things I checked yesterday when this began was the 50 amp service at the park. My surge protector showed all ok. After much frustration and almost giving up I retraced my steps today and found that the park 50 amp service did indeed drop a leg according to my surge protector.
It must have been a intermittent problem that finally gave up some time last night or this morning.
That explains the fact that it would come and go and we were loosing both the GFIC and the bedroom plugs when it went at the same time.
There two main breakers in the panel and it spits the two legs. That answers why the plugs in the living area always worked.
Switched to the 30 amp service and all is working as it should.
Will have the park fix the problem tomorrow
It's time for a beer.

Thanks again.

Satisfaction!