Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #15

Well since you know how good GM trucks are , the newer GM trucks are MUCH nicer then what your driving ! long distance tow like your looking to do gives me olny one choice , Crew cab 4x4 duramax diesel 2500 hd or 3500 dual rear wheels. The druck depends on what your towing , i pull a 31' holiday rambler thats 7900 lbs dry/empty so its about 10K ready to travel ! my truck pulls it no problem even on steep long grades . Arctic fox or Holiday rambler are very well built and I would have no problem buying one used , my holiday was 5 years old when I picked it up (no issues) .If you get a used duramax make sure its a 2005 and newer there is a less known problems that you may run into long term , the 2006 and newer trucks have 6 speed autos and get slightly better fuel economy. My crew cab gets around 17 MPG with a cap and running 70 ~75 mph on the highway.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
LeeB-

You could start by listing your MH for sale right here on iRV2. They've got a great classifieds section. You can post a bunch of photos of it to help it sell & best of all, it's FREE! You'd get great exposure here & there's always someone looking for a gently used rv.

Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll have fun shopping for your new rv.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
One thing I have not seen mentioned here is that you won't need a 35-40' 5th wheel to replace a 33'MH - I think that you will find a 5th wheel in the 25' range will be adequite.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:29 AM   #18

wow thanks you all... you have given me some great Ammo...

I am going to list my MH here on irv2 and on Craigslist soon and see if I can sell her... My problem is I will need at least 65K or I will not sell.

My MH is in perfect condition with not a thing wrong and paid for. So I am not willing to waver on my price.

MY WIFE SAID NO PAYMENTS and being we are retiring and moving to Tennessee she has a point
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:53 AM   #19

It seems to me you have a pretty nice setup now, and unless you really plan to stay parked for a longer time, I would have a hard time justifying the expenditure, especially if you end up downsized. We moved from a low-mid level 30' 5th wheel and '99 Ram diesel 3/4T truck to our current setup. I can easily put in 10 hour driving days in this MH where 8 hours in the truck was tiring. The MH is much quieter with its double-pane windows and more solid construction, and sits more solid at 21K vs. 10K pounds--a factor when the weather is foul. I like the built in generator. Maintenance is probably better for the truck combo because I now have two vehicles to maintain in addition to the "house", plus taking the MH in for service is always more hassle vs. a truck.
You have to decide, and it is good that you have set a price goal. If we ever go back to a trailer, it would be a higher line unit that matches up to a MH better in construction and liveability.
Good luck on your adventure.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #20

This towing calculator may be helpful in making a decision on properly matching a truck and 5er. I've owned every type RV except a pop-up. This is our second 5er, every other RV was a one-time venture.
New diesel trucks don't all have to be outragously expensive, check out a 2008 Ford F450 beginning at $36,200.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My brother pulls a 36' toy hauler 5er with the new 3500 Ram diesel mega-cab. The stated dry pin weight is 2400lbs. At first he tried pulling it with his old 2500 V-10 gas Ram. Not happening....Diesel is the way to go....Something like that you have to go with a 1 ton. He doesn't have dually's, but will be upgrading the rear suspension. In my future I like the 5er / truck combo as to get the most bang for the buck. In full sized 5er's you will see a big difference in the hitch weights. We really like the construction and lighter hitch weight of the Carriage Cameo line. ( www.carriageinc.com/index.php ) New they are in the $55k - $65k range, but used, you can find ones in the mid 20's - 30's (3-6 years old) Any of the mid priced 5ers you should give a look at......try www.rvsearch.com or www.rv.net/
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I also came across this deal. www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=39090&SearchMethod=2 (5er & truck).

Also on RV online here is a listing by price of 5th wheels. Notice a few of the listings are for tow vehicle and trailer. www.rvonline.com/motorhomes-5th-wheels.asp?Searchmethod=2&SortedBy=2
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Jim & Diane,

Please excuse the hijack...

You're sure spending a lot of time "shopping" the 5-r/truck combo lately. Maybe Joe & Shelly won't be the only Piggies with a new set up this spring...hmmmm?!

I did take a look at the Carriage lineup you like. The Cameo F37RE3 has EXACTLY everything I had wanted in a 5-r floorplan (even a king bed!). Too bad that layout wasn't available 2yrs ago or Dave & I might've ended up with that instead of our MH.

Although, that custom 08 TS on RVOL sure is sweet!!!!

L-
Old 01-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #24

I want to thank all of you... My wife now sees why a 5th wheel would work for us...

I have listed my Coach on iRV2 and now I have to wait and see what happens...

I tried http://www.rvsearch.com/findrv/ www.RVSEARCH.com but for some reason I can't get past the 1st page
Old 01-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NLOVNIT:
Jim & Diane,

Please excuse the hijack...

You're sure spending a lot of time "shopping" the 5-r/truck combo lately. Maybe Joe & Shelly won't be the only Piggies with a new set up this spring...hmmmm?!

I did take a look at the Carriage lineup you like. The Cameo F37RE3 has EXACTLY everything I had wanted in a 5-r floorplan (even a king bed!). Too bad that layout wasn't available 2yrs ago or Dave & I might've ended up with that instead of our MH.

Although, that custom 08 TS on RVOL sure is sweet!!!!

L- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow in reading your post and signature you have 3 differant set of RV's... Awesome
Old 01-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
LeeB,

Not quite. Those show the progression of our rv's we've had over the years. I did that so when I post on the TT/5th Wheel forums, folks will know I have experience with those setups to back up what I say there.

I feel it helps to know that when I post, others can count on me having familiarity with a same or similar set up as theirs.

BTW, nice pics of your coach in the classifieds. It is a very clean looking rig. You should have no trouble finding it a new home.

L-
Old 01-15-2008, 03:15 AM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NLOVNIT:
LeeB,

Not quite. Those show the progression of our rv's we've had over the years. I did that so when I post on the TT/5th Wheel forums, folks will know I have experience with those setups to back up what I say there.

I feel it helps to know that when I post, others can count on me having familiarity with a same or similar set up as theirs.

BTW, nice pics of your coach in the classifieds. It is a very clean looking rig. You should have no trouble finding it a new home.

L- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh ok I understand now.. I should do that to but I would have to start with a 73 Tent Trailer... LoL

Thanks we think she is a beauty also and don't want to sell but it's is best right now.. (I need a truck)we are moving to Tennessee in April...
Old 01-15-2008, 04:13 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
LeeB, having just read the whole thread from start to here, I'm wondering what the goal is here. It kind of looks like to me that your real goal is to get a new or near new truck. Since your mh is paid off, why not just start a plan to get a replacement truck?

We have had a 35 ft 5er and two mh's. The wife and I agree that it is more convenient and comfortable to travel in the mh. I had to "convince" my wife to go the mh route. Fortunately, she now agrees. You have "convinced" your wife that the 5th wheel is the way to go. What if she ultimately decides that the motorhome was the more comfortable way to travel? Remember, you do not necessarily have to stop to get a drink, use the bathroom, etc as you travel.

Also, for a vacation type of traveler, this idea of maintaining two motorized units (mh plus towed) pretty much is a non-factor. You are going to have two vehicles anyway. A full timer may be the one to save a little by only having one motorized unit.

So think long and hard about the change. Maybe you would consider getting rid of the HHR, getting a good used pickup, and keeping the paid for mh. Then you wouldn't need the heavy duty truck (which have their own maintenance issues).

Good luck which ever way you go.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote