Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2020, 08:16 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
OK, so now the details come out, a CDL is needed to double tow in CA. That is a whole different subject than double towing a RV with a standard DL, which is what this site is about.
https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/state-road-laws
Just so you know, here in Calif I had to get an endorsement on my standard license to tow my fifth wheel weighing between 10K and 15K pounds. After that it's commercial. Does not apply to towing ball hitch trailers in any weight.

I wonder if I install a Andersen hitch if that counts as a ball hitch??
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2020, 09:27 PM   #16

Mis-information again By yourself Grindstone, look at Michigan in your link. A person would be crazy to depend on sites like that which is why i call it out.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Mis-information again By yourself Grindstone, look at Michigan in your link. A person would be crazy to depend on sites like that which is why i call it out.

Mich info is right on the money, what's wrong with it?

Michigan

• Total length: 65'
  • Trailer Length: 28' 6"
  • Trailer Width: 8' 6"
  • Motor Home Length: 45'
  • Motor Home Width: 8' 6" (excludes mirrors, load securing devices up to 3")
  • Height: 13' 6"
  • Triple towing is allowed with a maximum combined length of 75' on selected highways
Required Equipment: Safety chain, brake away switch and brakes on trailers over 3,000 pounds.
Passengers may ride in fifth wheels, travel trailers and pickup campers.
Overnight parking in state rest areas is "as posted".
Drivers are required to obtain an endorsement on their drivers license to pull a double trailer/triple tow.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:59 AM   #18

Go back and read what you posted about the site your so proud of. Thats probably the only one thats right and i wouldn't trust it as well. I am done with trying to help with being correct when it come to towing multiples. Everyone can believe what ever they want to.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:32 AM   #19

Here's an example of the inaccuracies on that site. For California it mentions nothing about double towing yet references that a total length of 75' is allowed 'in some cases'. That 75 feet is only allowed when towing doubles. The 65' limit is for single trailers. It also states that the trailer length limit is 28.5'. Again, that only applies to doubles, not singles. We know there's a huge number of travel trailers well over 28.5' with many eclipsing 40'. It would also imply that, for the 65' single trailer overall limit, with the trailer being limited to 28.5', you could use a 36.5' tow vehicle. Not many 36.5' tow vehicles out there that I know of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200611_060452.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	289146  
Woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:33 PM   #20

If you read the entire script about CA, you will see that there are some restrictions for tow trailers over 28-6" on some roads in CA. I would not assume that triple towing is allowed unless you have a CDL no matter what any poster claims.
Disclaimer - Please use this site for reference (your choice) and if you are concerned about a particular law, then by all means follow up with research.

California

• Total length: 65' (up to 75' in some cases)
  • Trailer Length: 28' 6"
  • Trailer Width: 8' (8' 6" on designated roads)
  • Motor Home Length: 40' (38' for a single-axle fifth wheel trailer)
  • Width: 8' 6"
  • Height: 13' 6" (14' on designated roads)
  • Triple towing is not allowed.
Required Equipment: Safety chain, breakaway switch, fire extinguisher in RV, flares or reflective signs, brakes required on trailers with gross weight over 1,500 pounds.
Passengers may ride in fifth wheel with audible or visual device with tow vehicle and safety glass and at least one exit can be opened from the outside and the inside. Passengers can not ride in travel trailer. Passenger may ride in pickup camper provided passenger can communicate with drive and exit can be opened from both interior and exterior, or safety glass in window required. Seat belts are required.
Overnight parking in state rest areas is "as posted".
Towing travel trailers may not be allowed in snow areas. Contact the highway patrol before entering a snow area; chains may be required at any time. Trailers may be barred due to high winds, blowing sand, etc. Trailers over 20' may experience difficulty in negotiating hair pin turns on California State Highway 89.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tow, towing