Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesterdaddy View Post
I'm betting it's expanding from moisture and pushing the side out. I got a heat gun and looks like plenty of good weather. Screws are definitely rusted.
Are you referring to the screws on the side of the molding (which shouldn't even be there) or the screws in the channel under the vinyl trim ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #16

Yes those and underneath
kesterdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been there, done that.....be sure there is no mold in there as well! If any wood is rotted, the job will get bigger. Like a cancer, you have to get it all out.
Good luck!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #18

The braces that are bent are the outriggers and they are the single point of attachment between the I-beam frame and the RV body(floor/walls). Also, normally, the floor joists sit about 1/2 inch above the top of the I-beams. The fact that the outriggers are bent indicates the frame did bend up at the ends, the body tried to stay straight, so the outriggers bent, then the sidewall started popping screws and delaminating.

If the sidewall problems were only due to moisture, then the outriggers would not be bent. It is possible that the moisture problems existed first, but unlikely, because in that case, the wall would have failed first and the outriggers would have remained straight since the wall would have lost it's rigidity.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:24 PM   #19

I have absolutely no advice for you, but man, I feel your pain. It's just horrible when things like that happen. You spend enough of your hard earned money just buying it, then something like that happens. Good luck, and I hope it doesn't spoil your RVing. (It doesn't sound like it will, though)
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #20
JDT

Since at least part of it is an accidental occurrence have you thought about filing an insurance claim? I have no idea if anything like that could be covered but it looks kind of bad to me. Good luck.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:20 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look at the I-beam. Look at the stabilizers. No way that your stabilizers could lift that trailer, nor are the I-beams bent. There are some waves in the metal, but I think that's very much unrelated - likely from road debris.

For your lift to have damaged it, it would need to bend at the i-beam. Take a yard stick and run it down that I-beam. Report if it's straight.. Likely it will be.

By the looks of it, you had issues inside that wall that just happened to show up recently...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Been there, done that.....be sure there is no mold in there as well! If any wood is rotted, the job will get bigger. Like a cancer, you have to get it all out.
Good luck!
"Doctor" egwilly has it right. You are really going to have to get to the root of the damage and get it all cleaned up the first time. Otherwise you will be chasing this damage as long as you have this camper.
You are in for a lot of work but a repeat performance every season would be tough to handle for me. Wet and rot leads to mold. This is something you don't want to have to deal with.
Lynn

Tags
scr