Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2018, 06:01 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
I wonder if your looking purely at axle weights, because that is not at all what I have seen - especially on full profile 5th wheels.

Grand Design Solitude 310GKis 12100lbs dry according to their site:
https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro.../310gk-310gk-r

Grand Design Solitude 344GK is 12600lbs Dry at 36'
https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro.../344gk-344gk-r

My Alfa SYF30RLIK is 13000lbs Dry @32' (have the weight ticket)

Keystone Montana 3120RL is 12030Lbs Dry
https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-whe...rplans/3120rl/
Keystone Montana 3130RE is 12141Lbs Dry
https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-whe...rplans/3130re/

I wonder if your more thinking slope back (non full profile trailers?

Looking around at the lower lines (again, not full profile) they do seem a little lighter.

Jayco Eagle 317RLOK is 10550 Dry, so closer:
https://www.jayco.com/products/fifth...wheel/317rlok/

However go back to Jayco Northpoint 315RLTS , which is full profile and your back @ 12405 Dry weight
None of those are bunk houses which is why they aren't in my list. I do have some in my list that aren't bunkhouses as something that may work for us though they're not the ones you listed.
Still the arctic fox is heavier than most of those still putting it above average.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2018, 11:36 PM   #44

Arctic Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Have you looked into Northwood Arctic Fox or their Fox Mountain units. The Fox Mountains run 28-30'. The regular Arctic Fox have two or three floor plans under 32'. These are definitely full time units in a shorter length.

Or their sister company (outdoors RV) and their 5th wheel line Glacier Peak. How about this one 30'6" Glacier Peak F26rks

Both of these companies are on the upper end of the quality spectrum, But are heavier and more $$$.

I went to the Arctic Fox site today and I really liked it. It had soem really nice layouts, looked like good quality and within the range we want. N ot sure my husband saw it yet but it will be one on our list to look at. Thanks!
MKOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:43 PM   #45

Thanks Everyone!

I got some good links, some good tips. My husband will like the spreadsheet idea! Actually, I like the idea but he's better at creatng them :-) BTW, fo rthe question about our truck, we have a RAM 3500 dually and it should be able to pull anythign we choose in the range we're looking for, easily.
MKOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:43 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKOwen View Post
I got some good links, some good tips. My husband will like the spreadsheet idea! Actually, I like the idea but he's better at creatng them :-)
I can email you mine if you'd like. It's primarily 5th wheels, some travel trailers and toy haulers. Not that we have any toys to put in there but rather as a bedroom for our girls. We're considering full timing which is why most of the units in my list have bunks.
And a few that don't that I was hoping I could talk them in to Such as the grand design solitude 375, my all time favorite floor plan. With gobs of storage underneath.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #47

I'd recommend you look at Grand Design 5th wheels RV's. Knowing you have a Ram 3500 DRW, I'd aim for the Solitude models which are very high-end and likely better for full-timing than their Reflections models, which I have. The only model better than the Solitude is the Momentum line which are Toy Haulers so they're huge. Like 40+ feet long.

I looked at all brands. I wasn't sold on anything until I saw the Grand Designs. Then I was hooked! They focus so much on customer service, I'd be crazy getting anything else. If you check out their forums, (https://www.granddesignowners.com/forum/forum.php) you'll see a common trend; If you have a problem, Grand Design will make it right. Even if your local RV dealer is screwing you over.

Grand Design takes feedback from its customers to make their models better. An example, the 2016 Reflection 29RS had a Furrion backup camera pre-wired. The wiring was wrong so the camera was always on. Some owners re-wired it so it would only turn on if you had the trailer lights on but it was a lot of work, especially when you're not an expert on wiring like me. I bought the 2018 Reflection 29RS and when I hooked up the Furrion camera, it now only works when hooked up to the truck with lights turned on. Clearly they listened and made changes.

Have fun!
Oderus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:08 PM   #48

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know you're wanting to get out this summer, so time is getting short. We spent a full year traveling to many dealers in New Mexico and some surrounding states and looked at many males and hundreds of models. Also spent countless hours on the Internet reading up on each one we had any liking to. Multiple times we "thought" we knew what we wanted only to learn some deal breaking points about each of those units. We wanted something we could spend like 3 to 5 months at a time in. Not really full time but close. We want to maintain our S&B as a base. Also wanted to be able to handle cold weather, near zero and be able to get into most/many state/National parks.

We selected a used 2007 Excel 32 ft 5th and have been very pleased with the decision. The NeverLube wheel bearing were made and did an upgrade but there been no other real problems with the unit. I've made many mods to it making it into what we want.

Be very careful believing RVC salespeople. Some are good and honest and others are well..... I'd trust owners on forums like this. As pointed out above you'll get many opinions, but that's what people give out.

Full time use is hard on an RV. The whole thing rides on the frame and suspension system. Lighter and cheaper units have lighter frames that frequently bend and twist with road movements. Guess what, stuff inside also gets bent and starts to fall apart. Many 5ths are built on standard frames from a third party, the best units IMO all use custom made frames. I understand many people like the glam factor and place floor plan very high. I'd place a high value on the frame and select features on top of that unless you like replacing units every couple of years. But then this is only my opinion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:37 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
How do you figure a DRV is an anomaly? It is a quality unit with a great infrastructure. I am not saying the Artic Fox are poor built. Just like to know where they skimp to get that weight down.
You want an opinion from experience rather than internet research? I ownded a 2014 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3. It was the worst quality coach we owned in ocer 30 years of RVing. They would not stand behind the product and this was before the buyout. I would never buy another MS.

How's that for some real owner experience?
Old 04-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampowerwago View Post
You want an opinion from experience rather than internet research? I ownded a 2014 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3. It was the worst quality coach we owned in ocer 30 years of RVing. They would not stand behind the product and this was before the buyout. I would never buy another MS.

How's that for some real owner experience?
Wish you would share what your problems were. Many post such and we find out it was typical stuff they just wanted to gripe about. Not saying this is your case but you leaving us to imagine.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel