Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2021, 08:30 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
I'd Really Like to Know

On this forum I read every day about one problem then the next. Roof problems, electrical problems, etc. etc. What I'd really like to know is what percent of RVs / Owners experience these problems. Wouldn't it be great if we had data on what percent of RVs / Owners experience the problems we read about. If only 1% had roof problems, I'd feel a lot better. But without data, it could be 35%. Who knows? I like knowing the odds. I wish there was a list kind of like (but more specific):

Roof Problems - X%
Suspension failures - X%
Tire failures - X%
Electrical failures - X%

I've got a feeling that there are far fewer problems with these RVs than we might think.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2021, 08:33 PM   #2

I’ve got roof problems, but I’ve never posted about them here! Saturday I found a random screw embedded in a bead of factory-applied sealant, the kind of manufacturing flaw that can’t happen unintentionally.
GOLDandGREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:39 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDandGREY View Post
I’ve got roof problems, but I’ve never posted about them here! Saturday I found a random screw embedded in a bead of factory-applied sealant, the kind of manufacturing flaw that can’t happen unintentionally.
So I guess you are saying that you believe the percentage is higher than what the forum(s) might be an indicator of?
Old 03-01-2021, 08:50 PM   #4

Let's see. I have had slide bearing failure, bad refrigerator igniter, flat tire, bad stabilizer motor, 2 circuit breakers failed, roof issues, battery failure, awning failure, air conditioner issues, bad propane regulator, window crank failure, peeling leather and brake replacements. I may be dense as I still consider it be a pretty reliable trailer. Other than tires, the trailer has never been in the shop and I just fix things as needed. Part of the deal.

I also don't mention stuff on the forum unless I'm looking for a solution.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:05 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
It seems like there are two general type of posts about problems: those that are soured and want to complain and rant; and those that have an issue and looking for guidance on how to deal with their problem. Looking at all of the rvs we see traveling and camping every day it’s hard for me to believe everyone is having major issues although I do think a lot of us have the tweaking and fixing of the easier things. I doubt that will ever change given rough roads, light materials, etc. personally, we’ve been rving 43 years and never had a major problem, so I may have a little different outlook than someone who has had a lot of problems. I do know that taking the forums (any of them dealing with vehicles anyway) too seriously will have you paranoid if you aren’t careful.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:06 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
Let's see. I have had slide bearing failure, bad refrigerator igniter, flat tire, bad stabilizer motor, 2 circuit breakers failed, roof issues, battery failure, awning failure, air conditioner issues, bad propane regulator, window crank failure, peeling leather and brake replacements. I may be dense as I still consider it be a pretty reliable trailer. Other than tires, the trailer has never been in the shop and I just fix things as needed. Part of the deal.

I also don't mention stuff on the forum unless I'm looking for a solution.
I guess some context would be helpful. Is that 5 RVs over 40 years or 1 RV over the last 3 years.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
I guess some context would be helpful. Is that 5 RVs over 40 years or 1 RV over the last 3 years.
RV is 13 years old. Issues are from my 6 years of ownership. The bones of the trailer are fine. It is just the outsourced stuff that are issues. My scheduled trips this year cover thousands of miles and I have no worries.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:43 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Off the top of my head I can think of around a dozen of our friends that have RVs of one sort or another. Every one of us have had a problem or more. Some more than others that were more or less self induced. And that's not talking about the scrapes and bruises.

Show me an Rver that hasn't had a few problems over the years, and I will show you a BSer.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:44 PM   #9

Couple points to consider:

Happy people aren't on a forum posting about things they are happy about. Grumpy people / people with problems ARE on the forums b/c they are looking for either commiseration or help with the problem. Happy people are out using their thing - and that's true for forums about ANYTHING. Cars, boats, RVs, computers, game systems, tools.... You name it.

Now as far as RVs, I've personally owned three coaches. Still own the first and the third, and all were Monaco flavors. A 1990 Holiday Rambler, a 2005 Safari and a 2003 Monaco Diplomat. ALL THREE have had roof leaks and engine issues and awning issues and appliance issues.

With something this complex and with this many moving parts, it's a simple matter of statistics. SOMETHING is going to need attention at some point.

Now the diesel (Diplomat) has been the least troublesome as far as overall mechanical design. VERY happy with the engine. The 1990 is second (good engine, but needs some love b/c of the age), the 2005 was the worst and the main reason why it's gone.

The roof leaks... The Diplomat has had the worst ones (due to poor manufacturing design) while the 1990 has been the best. The Safari was middle.... But STILL had leaks.

Appliances (A/C etc, TVs don't count b/c of technology changes) have been overall about equal - the 2005 was the worst though with Dometic AC units that failed due to manufacturing flaws - some I could fix and recharge.... Others, just not worth the effort. The Carrier AC units I have now have been flawless overall and are serviceable - which is a MAJOR plus over the "just replace it!" mindset of current designs.

Points add up to..... "It depends." Happy people aren't on here complaining, but people with problems ARE. Over 400,000 units were sold last year, and the total membership here is..... A lot less than that. So there's something to consider.

FYI: If you sit in the hot tub at LazyDays in Tampa and just people-watch and listen.... You will hear any number of "Statler and Waldorf" old fogeys complaining about their 3/4-of-a-million coaches and how they are in for service for the eleventeenth time for the same thing. Sometimes it seems that people are just looking for reasons to complain.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:06 PM   #10

Quote:
So I guess you are saying that you believe the percentage is higher than what the forum(s) might be an indicator of?
I think it’s really tough to gauge that in the online world, many people only come here seeking advice for a failure and there are countless thousands of happy campers out there. I only have the loose piece of TPO repaired with enterabond and an in wall slide frame needing an additional fastener as “major” issues (not caused by me), and I still fixed them myself. But I swear, a mystery awaits behind every panel with these things.

Has anyone ever had a completely defect-free RV?
GOLDandGREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:20 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDandGREY View Post
Has anyone ever had a completely defect-free RV?
That's a good question but if there is one, there has to be many. It's unlikely that a company could build just one completely defect free RV. Most likely they produced many more good ones.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #12

You'll never get to the bottom of that one. As in automotive stuff, the whiners whine loudly and the happy ones are quiet.

If you're into RVing you are best off having a minimum of DIY capability or a thick wallet! I don't think any problem-free RV or motorhome exists. One would expect better build quality from a high priced unit but then there are more gadgets and stuff to go wrong.

You should research reviews, get as many as possible and make a detached, global evaluation of the product. Patterns will show up. If 150 reports of leaky plumbing in xxx model RV you better expect it will happen on yours.

In general, heavier and more expensive units break less and last longer. There will be exceptions.

Best bet is to kep your eyes and ears peeled, drive carefully and enjoy the trips. Build a network of RVers like here, find reputable repair facilities and use your better judgement.

Happy camping, can't wait to unwrap my 5er and get it ready.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:34 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
On this forum I read every day about one problem then the next. Roof problems, electrical problems, etc. etc. What I'd really like to know is what percent of RVs / Owners experience these problems. Wouldn't it be great if we had data on what percent of RVs / Owners experience the problems we read about. If only 1% had roof problems, I'd feel a lot better. But without data, it could be 35%. Who knows? I like knowing the odds. I wish there was a list kind of like (but more specific):

Roof Problems - X%
Suspension failures - X%
Tire failures - X%
Electrical failures - X%

I've got a feeling that there are far fewer problems with these RVs than we might think.
You are talking along the lines of posting failure rates. It would be a more accurate way of seeing the big picture. Comparing complaints of a manufacturer building 200 units a week to one building 40 a week can be misleading.

As well how many owners actually post complaints. Many are not posting at all.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:48 AM   #14

We'll never know because the majority of RV owners aren't RV forum members.
Or are they?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote