RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2020, 11:09 PM   #29

The NH I saw at the Tampa show several years ago had granite counter tops. It is as if NH did not care how heavy it is. I also know NH for a time coupled a F-450 cab chassis hauler bed with their 5th wheels. Maybe in 2013 or 2014.

One would have to ponder - Do I buy a Riverstone and in 10 years buy another new Riverstone or do I buy 1 NH for 20 years. Me - I Lean toward the Riverstones.

I actually think Luxe is not far behind NH.
DRV - they good but probably not as good as they once were.

I do not know - can I buy a Luxe for 150k? Can I buy a NH for 225k?

I know I can buy a Riverstone for 100k.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2020, 07:25 AM   #30

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
If it is as you claim. How much pin are you carrying. Ive not seen a NH or Spacecraft pulled by less then a 450 most are Sport chassis and HDT. Luxe ive seen pulled by 3500. May be rated for 24k on axle capacity. But scale weight axles pin etc may reveal something different. My pin weight is 6200 as an example with empty tanks.

A dodge 3500 with the air bag suspension tboight it wanted to try my pin. It buried the rear of the truck. and jacks werent even up yet. Air ride switch to pick the truck up level and it didnt budge. something to be saod for this. But hey to each his own. Enjoy luxe im sure it serves your intended purpose.

Well something is wrong with your setup. I seriously doubt your 6200 pin wt. Your BD5 is only rated to 5000 so you have a big big problem. This idea of watching the electric meter to see which is the better trailer is full of holes. Trailers have to be same length with same # and size of slideouts. Slideout are the losers of heat or cold. My Luxe has 3 inch side walls except the ends of slide-outs are 2 inch. Oh! My F350 is rated for 6500 lbs of payload so it is just fine even for your trailer! Last winter an F350 pulled his 2 year old New Horizon into our RV park. Wasn't squatting a bit. He pulled from Washington state to the Gulf with no problems.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:47 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Well something is wrong with your setup. I seriously doubt your 6200 pin wt. Your BD5 is only rated to 5000 so you have a big big problem. This idea of watching the electric meter to see which is the better trailer is full of holes. Trailers have to be same length with same # and size of slideouts. Slideout are the losers of heat or cold. My Luxe has 3 inch side walls except the ends of slide-outs are 2 inch. Oh! My F350 is rated for 6500 lbs of payload so it is just fine even for your trailer! Last winter an F350 pulled his 2 year old New Horizon into our RV park. Wasn't squatting a bit. He pulled from Washington state to the Gulf with no problems.
I dont have a BD5. I have the TSLB with the 3rd airbag. So i can handle 7500 hitch weight rating

Axle weight unloaded 5480
Loader rear axle weight 11420

do the math 5940 and ive added six six volt c
golf cart batteries and a deep freezer so 6200 is correct.

You may believe its okay weight wise. Put your rig on the scales and check the rear axle scale weight vs the sticker on the door. I bet your overloaded. I judge overloaded on scales stickers vs tickets.

If the luxe is that good then your luxe vs a bigger rig same number slides or more it shouldnt matter. I was 5 feet longer then the DRV and had two more slides. Im 45ft and 4 slides he was 40 and 3 slides.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:59 AM   #32

Ive posted my loaded scale ticket. My gvw is 17,500 on my truck. I have an 12,500 rated rear axle. So how you can have 6500 payload full of fuel hitch persons in truck. Sorry id need a scale ticket to see it. Im in a 4500 Topkick true MDT. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181031_104804_01~01.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	303749
Old 10-07-2020, 08:02 AM   #33

TSLB and the sneaky 3rd airbag in there. So yes i can handle the 6200 maybe a lil more i have on the pin
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image%20(2).jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	303750Click image for larger version

Name:	Image%20(3).jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	303751
Old 10-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #34

OP, if you're just looking for something quick and easy to start with, I'd say weight is a great metric. It's certainly not perfect but for the most part cheaper units are lighter and higher quality are heavier.

I always remember the day I bought my Keystone Hideout 5th wheel (lowest end of their line). 36' weighing in at 9000#. Guy in the next bay was in for service and we started talking.... his same length 5th was 12,500# dry. Now, I fully knew what I was getting into and my trailer has been a great weekend get-away with the kids but it's very clear it's just not a quality unit.

As I consider my next unit, dry weight is always a number that catches my eye and gives me some idea of what kind of quality I'm looking at.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #35

This has been an enjoyable and entertaining read. We enjoy our 2008 WolfPack 295WP. Sometimes we feel like the Beverly Hillbilly's in some RV parks.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:53 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
OP, if you're just looking for something quick and easy to start with, I'd say weight is a great metric. It's certainly not perfect but for the most part cheaper units are lighter and higher quality are heavier.

I always remember the day I bought my Keystone Hideout 5th wheel (lowest end of their line). 36' weighing in at 9000#. Guy in the next bay was in for service and we started talking.... his same length 5th was 12,500# dry. Now, I fully knew what I was getting into and my trailer has been a great weekend get-away with the kids but it's very clear it's just not a quality unit.

As I consider my next unit, dry weight is always a number that catches my eye and gives me some idea of what kind of quality I'm looking at.
I learned the weight thing real early on after buying this used 5th wheel. It's a listed 10 880 lbs dry for a 29' 5er (almost 32' overal length) so it is stout. It was a night and day difference from the 26' Dutchmen TT that weighed around 4600lbs dry. I won't ever look for a "lite" unit. I'm not necessarily aiming for a 24 000 lb New Horizons or the like either, but I don't want a POS that falls apart within a few years. Thanks

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:41 AM   #37

Agree that weight is a good barometer to quality. Not always the case as in Lance trailers but for the most part two 35' trailers one weight 10,000lbs and one weighs 12,000lbs the 12,000lb trailer will most likely be a better built trailer. 1/2" plywood weighs more than 3/8" plywood. Screws weigh more than staples.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:16 AM   #38

You guys need to chill . Sure new Horizens is top of the line . If you want to drive a semi or MDT . Then you have to load a tiny car or rent one or drive your MDT around . Third option is just park it on a pad .
Luxe makes a very nice trailer also . One plus is you can tow it with a DRW . It all comes down to what you can afford that fits your needs . Some only a Cougar some an NH .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #39

For those mentioning Alliance, is there really a difference in theirs vs anything else in the same price range? I've ruled them out as an option due to how new they are and I really see little difference in them compared to anything of equivalent price range. They have very little published on their construction techniques, materials, etc. I would think if they were truly differentiating themselves, they would be screaming it at the top of their lungs.

It seems folks are smitten with them simply because they aren't owned by one of the big conglomerates. Am I missing something?
datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #40

We bought a 2013 Redwood brand new. It has all of the bells & whistles that folks tout as "top of the line," but the quality & reliability has been terrible. (put "Redwood complaints" into a browser & you will see hundreds of complaints).

I wish there was a way to check reliability instead of bells & whistles. I see a lot of old Bounders & old Winnebagos in parks & on the road that just keep on chugging along with very few problems, but they certainly are not luxurious.

What is the answer?
marlindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
You guys need to chill . Sure new Horizens is top of the line . If you want to drive a semi or MDT . Then you have to load a tiny car or rent one or drive your MDT around . Third option is just park it on a pad .
Luxe makes a very nice trailer also . One plus is you can tow it with a DRW . It all comes down to what you can afford that fits your needs . Some only a Cougar some an NH .
Lots of New Horizon rigs in the 40' range on the road being pulled by DRW trucks. And yes I have looked at numbers, in fact we have a Ram 5500 and pull a 40' NH and have lots of cushion on our numbers.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:34 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
Lots of New Horizon rigs in the 40' range on the road being pulled by DRW trucks. And yes I have looked at numbers, in fact we have a Ram 5500 and pull a 40' NH and have lots of cushion on our numbers.
Do you know what the pin weight is, ready for camping, on your NH?

Tags
5th wheel, quality