Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 09:04 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I'M having major electrical problems

I'M having major electrical problems(maybe major to me) dryers acting up, frig is stop freezing unplug it it will start back up, at times our hot water heaters stops heating I have changed thermostats even though I have been told it's not the problem gas side works and furnace motor isn't working up to speed could be going out was told by electrician. I did have a surge protector during this time. While at Johnson Ingram, TX creek I bought a Progressive EMS-PT50C April 2014. Could the ac's be next?
I have hear and read this could affect the motors if it did in furnace.

We bought LG frig in March 2014 before going to this park with electrical problems(story is someone was leaving and didn't unhook) after this park SPLENDIDE washer/dryer shut down it would end up needing a new circuit board(that's was a ouch). I did tell owners they where unresponsive I heard the electrician say there was a problem we left, but to late. Are the two ac's next. I heard this could weaken motors.

I have got electricians to check the pole in Chalk Hill, had him check electrical inside he's says it looks good and probably was indecent at park. Would it take this long for all this failure to start happening to electrical components?

What can I do is there something I can look for? I actually don't trust RV techs in the area. I'M trying to cut my wife off at the pass of buying a DRV mobile suite doing this or thinking on it more. This is very frustrating with every thing plus father and mother dying in last two months.I don't want to buy another rig. I need to fix the problem.
Yet it's tempting to walking away this.

Thanks for your help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 09:55 AM   #2

Wow - sorry to hear about your woes! Chin up!

Have you checked your batteries? The furnace runs off the 12V side of things and if the batteries are low, the fan will run slow...also the water heater needs 12V for the control board, perhaps that is the gremlin for that as well. A/Cs are run entirely off the 120Volts and should be fine, but the 'stats (I think) need 12Volts as well and may contribute to the problem.

Hope this helps! Hard to troubleshoot from afar!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #3

I am not sure I understand fully . But if I do, You were at a park and someone pulled their plug out as they pulled away and possibly sparked your rv? Or surged rather?
I can tell you my experience somewhat unrelated. I am rebuilding a older 5er and in the process one of my friends sawed through a cord on a saw. It didnt kick the breaker and the cord was sparking on the floor. I reached over to the main panel and shut everything down. When I restarted , both a/c ,heaters and water heater quit. The a/c came on but no cold air. I took the covers off and both had melted solder on the boards. I re-soldered and continued although the water heater and furnaces I bought new boards. The a/c 's are to be replaced so I didnt really care about them.
Most of what you are explaining are problems with the 12volt items, heater motors and fridge etc. Take a meter reading of your inverter try turning everything off except 1 heater or same. See if your lights dim when another appliance is used?
It could be a inverter failure but not completely out. And if available replace the battery with one you know is good. The inverter may only be charging @ 10 volts .
jonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like you got zapped!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:34 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbrown View Post
I am not sure I understand fully . But if I do, You were at a park and someone pulled their plug out as they pulled away and possibly sparked your rv? Or surged rather?
I can tell you my experience somewhat unrelated. I am rebuilding a older 5er and in the process one of my friends sawed through a cord on a saw. It didnt kick the breaker and the cord was sparking on the floor. I reached over to the main panel and shut everything down. When I restarted , both a/c ,heaters and water heater quit. The a/c came on but no cold air. I took the covers off and both had melted solder on the boards. I re-soldered and continued although the water heater and furnaces I bought new boards. The a/c 's are to be replaced so I didnt really care about them.
Most of what you are explaining are problems with the 12volt items, heater motors and fridge etc. Take a meter reading of your inverter try turning everything off except 1 heater or same. See if your lights dim when another appliance is used?
It could be a inverter failure but not completely out. And if available replace the battery with one you know is good. The inverter may only be charging @ 10 volts .
Jon what happened was in the site I pulled in someone had left they damaged when leaving by not unplugging. Maybe breaking the female plug and breakers. Which could have caused a spark when I pulled into it upon plugging in.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
Don
Have you called Carriage to see if they can help out?
Old 01-26-2015, 08:53 PM   #7

You may have more than one problem. Here's what I would do.
1. Get a volt meter and make sure you have at least 110volts in some of the wall sockets. Add some load, like an AC, to serif the voltage drops. If the plug was damaged, you may not have a good connection. Low voltage could affect the output of the inverter.
2. Disconnect the battery and turn in several lights. The whole camper should function just off of the inverter. It's not good for it, so I wouldn't turn on everything and operate the jacks at the same time. If the lights don't come on or go out when you add more, the inverter could be bad.
3. Have the battery checked. If a cell is shorted out, it can cause inverters to act funny.

Hope this helps.
cwleczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwleczyk View Post
You may have more than one problem. Here's what I would do.
1. Get a volt meter and make sure you have at least 110volts in some of the wall sockets. Add some load, like an AC, to serif the voltage drops. If the plug was damaged, you may not have a good connection. Low voltage could affect the output of the inverter.
2. Disconnect the battery and turn in several lights. The whole camper should function just off of the inverter. It's not good for it, so I wouldn't turn on everything and operate the jacks at the same time. If the lights don't come on or go out when you add more, the inverter could be bad.
3. Have the battery checked. If a cell is shorted out, it can cause inverters to act funny.

Hope this helps.
It could also be the converter is bad (not inverter). It could be too low or too high voltage. I've seen one that was putting out over 24 volts, killed the battery and caused strange problems for both DC items and AC items. It affected the air conditioner since the thermostat needs 12 v DC. We ended up using the breaker to turn the converter off, installed a new battery and used a standard automotive charger to keep everything operating until a new converter could be installed.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:22 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, as for the LG fridge,,, I have never, not once, had an LG product make me happy save for one item and on that one I had to make serious modifications to make it work properly. (Dometic by LG microwave, Older LG microwaves were dangerous and should never have been sold.

Your Furnace blower runs off the 12 volt side of life so I am 100% sure it was NOT damaged by the park's power problems... HOWEVER.. The converter (Device that both charges your batteries and provides 12 volts (well 13.6) when on shore power.. That may have been damaged.

I note: Other than the LG fridge, all the devices you cite use 12 volts if only for control power.

Tags
electrical