Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #1

In bed 7 way connector location

Is there a "best" place to have the in bed 7 way connector located? Our previous truck had it forward of the left wheel well. Some have it rearward of the left wheel well. I purchased a plug and play connector harness thats 9 feet long. The instructions show the forward location. E-trailer "expert" recommends rearward. I am sure there are pros and cons for each.

Where are your's located? Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
I've always placed mine aft of the left rear wheel well. There always seems to be enough room between the box wall and the "what in bygone days" fender. Guess there ain't such a thing as a fender any more... but ya get the idea.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I liked it in the left rear corner, but if you haul anything in the bed while towing, you need to consider the best location for your particular situation.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I mounted ours over the left fender, makes it easy to reach and hookup both the umbilical cord

and the break away cable

ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #5

I installed mine rear of the left wheel well for convience of hookup and it is out of the way when hitch is removed.
waroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #6

I dislike the “patch cord that connects into the TV factory wiring” with Scotch Locks. Scotch locks are OK inside the TV but outside where they are exposed to the elements they are trouble prone.
I replaced the RV 6’ factory shore power cord with a 10’ molded replacement shore power cord and ran it toward and over the TV tail gate and plug it directly into the factory installed 7 blade connector in the bumper. This eliminates 2 unnecessary connections.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had both a 5er and a truck camper, I placed in front of the left fender. It worked great for both units. I do my own wireing, spliced into the factroy rear hitch mounted 7 pin.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:31 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Carolina Campers
Hi Sandman, I have always had mine located inside the bed but traded for a 2011 Dodge and decided to try to use the one in the back of the truck and it works just fine. Thought it might catch and get jerked out but that hasn't happened and I have been in some tight turns. Brent
dunrovin1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #9

It depends on the Tow Vehicle. In a 3500 dually it can not be located where you can't reach standing up outside the bed. I use a 2008 Dodge 4x4 dually. That sucker is wide and tall. I am not tall enough to reach around the tall bed in next to a dually wheel into the bed. I had to locate mine as far aft as I could to be able to reach it with the tailgate open and the 5er hooked up. Not a lot of room.
My old Dodge was nowhere near as tall (it was a 2wd) and it was a 2500 so no hips.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
I had to locate mine as far aft as I could to be able to reach it with the tailgate open and the 5er hooked up. Not a lot of room.
Yep, that's where mine is. I'll generally stop as I'm backing under the 5th wheel when the pin box is just over the open tailgate and plug in the trailer umbilical.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Our previous trucks all had the connector receptacle installed forward of the left wheel well at the suggestion of the installers. Our 11 F350 came with the hitch prep package and the receptacle is high and behind the left wheel well. We've come to like this setup much better because either of us can easily access the location where with previous trucks it was me and a stepstool.

If you're going to have someone do it for you, I suggest you stand over them when they drill the hole. On our previous truck I showed him specifically where to drill, just a couple of inches below the bed rail (I had checked for internal clearances), had to leave to finish the purchase paperwork, came back and he had drilled at floor level. Every time I hitched and unhitched after that I would say bad things about his parentage. Usually on my toes on a stepstool leaning on the wet side of a pickup.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by waroland View Post
I installed mine rear of the left wheel well for convience of hookup and it is out of the way when hitch is removed.
Same here.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #13

I never would have thought of putting the plug here, but it is very convenient.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-14 16.55.57.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	13872
When we traded up from a travel trailer to the 5th, the dealer installed this plug on the left side just in front of the tail gate.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-14 16.50.37.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	13873
The factory 7 pin plug was removed and replaced with one that plugged into the factory wire harness and has a "Y" that goes up to the 7 pin plug in the bed.

John
Bubbajohnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
I had both a 5er and a truck camper, I placed in front of the left fender. It worked great for both units. I do my own wireing, spliced into the factroy rear hitch mounted 7 pin.
I did the same and for the same reason.
My truck (a '07 GMC one-ton dually) come with a factory installed 'pigtail', as well as a 7-pin connector on the bumper, for an additional 7-pin connector at a location of my choice.
michigancamper
MICHIGAN CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote