Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #1

In Retropect

After purchasing our 5er in August we had a bit of a situation. Not too sure if I should "panic" now or not I was thinking about this and thought maybe I should run this past my friends here before the towing season begins

We are brand new to 5ers. We stopped at an abandoned gas station to try "jacking" the trailer to see if it would hit the cab of PU. Looked like it might so we set our Curtis hitch to "slide" but the trailer would not lock up. The trailer kept coming along. The truck was brand new with a built in brake controller. That was fine.
When we got home had to chock the trailer in order to dislodge. Son in law came over later, set the brakes on the trailer. We didn't hook up again but just tested by spinning the tire and things seem to be okay.

Now my fear...how could the previous owner not know this would happen. The brakes not set ?? They said they hauled it very little. Apparently they bought it new.. They had a long box PU so no need to use slider but shouldn't the brakes have been set better ?? Wouldn't he notice this ??
The sellers were semi retired, own their own business and seemed quite honest. Had a beautiful home and just purchased a lovely motor home thus selling their 5er. I didn't get any bad "vibes" from them but ..........
This situation has been nagging at me all winter. Just sitting in the back of my head coming to mind on and off

Any idea as to how this happened. Think it could be prelude to other problems ??

Thanking you in advance for thoughts !!

Jo
dezldog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezldog1 View Post

Now my fear...how could the previous owner not know this would happen. The brakes not set ?? They said they hauled it very little. Apparently they bought it new.. They had a long box PU so no need to use slider but shouldn't the brakes have been set better ?? Wouldn't he notice this ??

Thanking you in advance for thoughts !!

Jo
If I got the gist of it right your concerned because they did not tell you the brakes would not lock to slide your fifth wheel, as you said they had a longer bed and they very well may never have tried to slide the fifth wheel if it was indeed slide-able.

Semi trailers have a similar set up to slide the back axles under the trailer to carry different weights. The set up has been in service for decades yet they are notorious for not sliding properly.

If that's the only "misrepresentation" you can find I would not be too concerned about it as it may very well be something that was not known to them.

Not being too familiar with the newer brake controllers is there a possibility that your settings are not matched to the trailer?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:52 AM   #3

Your post is really confusing. I think you are asking two different questions. As for the brake lock??? Trailer brakes are NOT self adjusting. That means they need to be manually adjusted once or twice a year Depending on how many miles you travel. If you have never done this, then do a web search on manual drum brake adjustment and you will get the proper procedure. As for the slider hitch?? I have no clue. Never had one, probably never will.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #4

Most trailer brake controllers will not "lock" the brakes. If your trailer brakes conform to the adjustment instructions for the controller, you don't have a brake problem. Is you Curtis hitch clean, properly lubricated and adjusted? One option is to pull the emergency break-away pin, slide the hitch, re-insert the break-away pin.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #5

Hey RayIn
Yes it was the first time the hitch was ever used...Brand "spankin" new. Just like us LOL..
I wasn't very clear with my post. I will try again:-) Situation : We get to site and have to slide the 5er. DH pulled the lever to release. Held the brake controller in the PU, pulled ahead in order for the trailer to release but the trailer continued to follow. Would not release so he put a chock on tires of the 5er, pulled ahead and trailer slid. We were then able to park.

Seems as though the brakes on 5er were not set. I was wondering why previous owner did not know this. Is this typical ?? I was worried maybe the brakes on trailer were "shot"
Like I said we are soooo green to this. Having towed a TT previously is so different.

Just a little Paranoid that the brake thing was maybe prelude to something more serious like bad brakes on 5er. Maybe burned out...
Old 03-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #6

Thank you everyone for replies.
I really do appreciate it . Great information
So happy I found this site. Great place to learn the "ins" and "outs" of RVING'

Awesome !!
Jo
Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #7

You got it JohnRR
Thank you. That is exactly it...I am not really wondering about matching the controller to the trailer??
What the "deuce" is that about..LOL
Feel a little more at ease now that the sellers were not trying to conceal something as serious as brakes..yikes

Regards from the rookie...
Jo
Old 03-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #8

Hi 450DON
Thnx so much for your reply.
Hmmm see real rookie here. Did not realize the setting of the brake thing. One very important piece of information a person should know...."DUH" me...
For a certain reason I should have damn well remembered that.

Thanks so much for your help

Jo
Old 03-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #9

Do the trailer brakes work at all??? Electric drum brake controllers are different than hydraulic (drum/disc) I know this from controllers. I know this from experience. Slide...????????????
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Just a little Paranoid
Better to be a little paranoid and ask rather than ignore it and have something go very wrong.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #11

Just to clear up one previous point: There are Self Adjusting brakes for Trailers. Dexter makes them and I have them on my Montana. Now as to the brakes, I would jack up one side at a time, pull the break-a-way pin and check that you can not turn the wheels. If you can still turn the wheels, you have brakes that are really out of adjustment, worn brakes, or blown grease seals and grease on the brakes. I personally would check them out before towing,
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #12

Just spoke with DH again. Appently son in law jacked up each tire and then adjusted with the slack adjuster. TV was still attached. So while tire was up Son in law ( Shaun) spun tire. At first when tire was spun it was free wheeling. My husband applied the brake with brake controller and nothing happened. Tire kept spinning.
Shaun made a few adjustments, spun the tire again, husband applied brake with controller again and then tire stopped.
I guess we hauled it home without any brakes ??
Old 03-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I guess we hauled it home without any brakes ??
It would seem that way. if you had no problems slowing or stopping on the way home think how much nicer it will be using it on the next trip out.

Now in fairness and to answer one of your first questions about the last owner brakes do not just go out of adjustment all of a sudden (I suppose something could happen that they would) but they wear out over a period of time and they may have not noticed that happening.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #14

Yep...this part of my concern as they said they didn't hardly use it
Hmmm first sign of potential problems

Oh well we shall see." Expect the worst and hope for the best "

Thnx all
Jo