Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #1

In The Beginning

Greetings All,

In the beginning, most out there started as a "newbie" as we are. We are looking to purchasing a 2014 Forest River Ceder Creek SilverBack 33LR as our first 5th wheel as we start into the adventure of RVing.

We have about 5yrs until retirement when our dream is to be full time. So I'm looking for a review either good or bad on the SilverBacks. I believe the best people to ask are those who may own one now or have owned one.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Being so new to all this, and so affraid of making a mistake, I'm just trying to be careful. The last thing I need, is to get into a something with a bad history.

Grampa
GramPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

5th Wheel rigs are generally seen as very good set-ups for Full-Timers.

I am sure someone will come along soon to give you some specifics

Best Luck with your plans and Safe Travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #3

I can't provide you with the info you want, but I can supply you with encouragement. We boughty our 5er 5 years ago when it was 4 years old- moved up from a pop-up. We were thinking of either going full-time when we retire or part-time, traveling with the sun. That was one of the best things we have ever done.

We thoroughly enjoy traveling with the 5er, or just getting away for the weekend. And we have learned so much, especially what type of floor plan we will want when we retire, and the amenities to make it more pleasant.

I encourage you to look at purchasing a 5er now, with the thought of replacing it with a different rig in 5 years when you retire.

Have fun,

Jim
Old 02-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum and your RVing experience that will be starting for you.

First question do you have a large enough pick-up to pull this trailer? I think the minimum truck required would be a 1 ton single wheel diesel that is at least a 2013 model or newer. These have higher payload and trailer ratings than the older versions of the same model of truck.

Now as to the good or bad of any model of trailer that is an opinion that a lot of people will offer. I believe that most every camper made today is of fair value and should be reviewed as to its merits and the user’s requirements of use. My recommendation is to do a thorough PDI (pre-delivery inspection) to ensure that everything works correctly and you understand how to work the controls.

I would also make sure that you have Goodyear LT235/85R16G tires installed on the trailer and not the Chinese tire bombs that are on some trailers. These are offered as an attachment on the other trailers in this line. I would also see if you can get the hydraulic leveling feature called the Level-UP that is also an attachment; this will help in stabilizing the trailer when walking around inside.

Jim W.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #5

Some one may have a Silverback and can answer your questions.

While waiting check out the Forest River Forums - Forest River Owners Community
Forums as some over there should own one and answer your questions.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #6

Thanks for your responses

We have a Dodge 3500,1 ton 5.9 Cummins W/dulies. We have been told it is big enough to pull our rig. The RV dealer does a 2hr walk through with you at pick-up to show you how eveything operates. This RV does come with a hydraulic leveling system. Not sure of the tires though, one thing we didn't think to ask about.

I will check out the link and thanks for it.
GramPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #7

you have to keep in mind if your full timing and moving alot a 5er is not go good to have as its 1.5 hr setup tear down to move it any where

if you are going to stay in one spot 5er goood
move alot class A
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
you have to keep in mind if your full timing and moving alot a 5er is not go good to have as its 1.5 hr setup tear down to move it any where
terry,
You are right in saying a fifth wheel does take longer to set up and take down than a motor home. But, my wife and I can be from livng it our fifth wheel to on the road in 20 minutes. That is with 3 slides and no Level-up.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post

terry,
You are right in saying a fifth wheel does take longer to set up and take down than a motor home. But, my wife and I can be from livng it our fifth wheel to on the road in 20 minutes. That is with 3 slides and no Level-up.
It's never taken us that long to get on the road. 30 minutes tops - and then only if we have stuff outside, like the grille, mat, dog stuff, etc. And it will be even less time with our next rig, which will have hydraulic leveling.

Jim
Old 02-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post

terry,
Our best has been to unset move and reset on an other lot on the same campground in 22 minutes. That is with 4 slides, manual leveling, manual satellite.
Moved 5 times in one week, due to lack of reservation time.
We can be gone in 10 minutes most time. The thing that takes the longest is sewer and water. While I do that the wife takes care of the slides from the inside.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #11

We just picked up our Silverback 35QB4 about a month ago, so not much experience yet. I can say that the well-insulated boasts are accurate. We spent an evening in it watching a movie with the kids, and even though it was 36F outside and windy we were nice and toasty inside with the t-stat set at 72. No drafts, and the furnace cycled less than expected. Structurally, these things are well built.

The Level-up system is slick. I parked it on a spot that requred 3" of boards under the left side to level the last camper, pushed the button, and it went right to level. A bonus is not having to mess around with pins on electric front jacks to extend/retract the legs. It's stable too. Even with the kids running around inside, there wasn't much movement.

I have run into a few head-scratchers though. The interior has a "rushed" look. There are nicks and dings in the wood, some filled and some not. The toilet paper holder pulled out of the door (yes, mounted on the bathroom door) when I tried to load a roll. It was just mounted with regular wood screws into the hollow almost-cardboard door. No way would that have held, and the factory has to know it. The wood screws for the struts that hold the bed up for under-bed storage also pulled out, and judging by the total of twelve holes in the wood, each side had pulled out and was "fixed" twice before leaving the factory and failing again. These are small things, but there are enough of them to instill a bit of suspicion about what else might pop up as we start using it. The RV industry is trying to keep up with demand and it looks like quality control is paying the price.

The only thing we don't like about the design is the bathroom. Everyone else has nice, normal bathrooms. We get a sideways sink, not a lot of storage, and a door that seems to be an afterthought. I wish Cedar Creek would look around and see what other manufacturers are doing.

Well, and the light switch for the living room lights. It's on the panel with the rest of the systems switches, behind a door in the hallway. Why would they hide what will probably be the most used switch in the camper?

But for us, having a quality structure is worth having to fix a few things on the inside. We're planning on having this camper for 10+years, and I don't doubt that the Silverback will hold up as well or better than other campers in its price range.

(and btw - the tires are load range "E" on the 33RL. Not sure of the brand though)
Old 02-14-2014, 09:50 PM   #12

Why the FR SilverBack? There are over a dozen other competing 5th wheels. The SilverBack is kinda the 'run of the mill' 5er.

Better full time units would be Excel, Lifestyle or used NuWa. These units will have a better frame and axles. Also they will have a much better build quality.

5th wheels will have either 5,000 - 6,000 - 7,000 and 8,000lb axles. Typically the heavier axles will also come with better tires and wheels that can handle the higher air pressure for the better tires.

Now the better frame will twist and bend less as the rig goes down the road. This means fewer shower leaks and basically fewer problems all together.

My next 5th wheel will have a minimum of a 12" I-Beam frame and better yet a custom boxed frame.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:22 AM   #13

This is fun watching someone consider what to buy for full timing. You are smart in starting early. I fully agree with several comments made. Since you have five years to work on this, take it slow. DO NOT BY NEW TO START, but buy soon. Buy a recognized excellent build unit used don't go too big to start. 33' as stated would be a good size to get the handle on things and yes, your 3500 will handle "most" good quality units.

Anytime you start naming names someone gets their feelings hurt or disagrees, but facts are facts so here goes. I also agree with the statement that Forest River is not one of the higher quality units that I would consider for full timing. If you buy that new now, it will have depreciated a whole bunch in 5 years. I would plan going to many RV shows, snoop for quality, not so much the glitz and dig into frames, wall build out, cabinet quality and materials used. Then, find something like a NuWa, Carriage, Mobile Suites in a smaller unit used that you can buy right. Use it, explore it, all the time be watching shows for the next few years watching for what you want but now have experience in actual usage. Lots of details to consider before settling in and laying your money down for a permanent unit.

Couple things to watch: frame - what is it in comparison; side walls, no bonded walls; roof system, how thick, how insulated; solid cabinets; floors, no comp board - plywood only; how large holding tanks; try to stay away from hydraulic front jacks; dual ac; type of inverter, you want staging; agree on tires, G614 minimum. I just got started - - you have time for lots of homework, don't be in a hurry.

When going to the RV shows, I would strongly suggest looking closely at the Lifestyle. Excellent built unit with a great engineering staff with all kinds of experience in building quality rigs. This would be something to buy in maybe 4 years
after learning and feeling floor plans, etc.

Bob
Old 02-15-2014, 05:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
you have to keep in mind if your full timing and moving alot a 5er is not go good to have as its 1.5 hr setup tear down to move it any where if you are going to stay in one spot 5er goood move alot class A
We've been moving at least once a week over the country for a year now in our 5th wheel. Even when we 1st started out, set-up or take down never took us anywhere near 1.5 hours. Taking our time means 20-30 minutes at most. Our 5th wheel gives us the room we love in our mobile condo.

Martha