Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Independent Suspension on a 5er

I don't have an engineering background so I am asking for input.

I've been looking at replacing my 5er axles with higher rated axles. One option given to me is an Independent Suspension. Anyone have any history or input on an independent suspension for a 5th wheel trailer? It is a complete replacement of my current suspension and allows for more travel in the suspension and tow/camber adjustment on each wheel. They claim to use rubber shear springs () that is supposed to dampen the ride by allowing slightly more travel that the leaf springs.

I am considering going this route on my 5er but, as mentioned, not being an engineer, I don't have much background in this field. The quote I got is from Mor-Ryde. Any input/help would be appreciated.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #2

We have it on our HitchHiker. 5th wheel rides nice and smooth. Nothing tossed around inside. Cannot speak to the technical aspects of it though.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #3

We had the MorRyde IS system installed last fall. We are fulltime, so we are traveling all the time. We love it, it does help the suspension on the 5th wheel at lot! As you, we were looking at the same thing last year, and at first opted to change the axles from 7,000# to 8,000#. Only to have 3 complete failures 3 different times with the new axles, from mid Aug to late Sept. The story about this was posted on another RV forum site. Anyway, we went with the IS system and have been completely happy. Side note, another 5th wheeler friend, had the system put on this spring. We saw them at a rally in Sevierville, TN in June. On their way north from the rally, one of the rubber springs failed and caused damage to the 5th wheel. He said MorRyde covered everything. But, the point is they did have a prolem with the IS system, also. Even with that, I 'm still glad we spend the money to do it, and it was not that much more than the new 8,000# axles were (we did receive a refund from the manufacturer of the failed axles). So I guess like the saying goes, if it moves, it can break! One more note, MorRyde offers a 10% discount on parts from Nov thru Mar, that in it self saves a good sum!!

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike
mike1poles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #4

I was about ready to go back to a motorhome after buying my first fiver. The ride was terrible with all the chucking and jerking. Went to MorRyde and had IS suspension put on and put on their kingpin at the same time. Wow, what a difference in ride and the condition of contents inside at the end of the day. Everything is still where you put it. HIghly recommend the change and the company is great to work with - - good customer service while at the factory.

To answer about what happens - - you present axles come completely out and they put solid bars across welded to the frame to attach their setup. They reuse your wheel assembly. I also highly recommend considering having them include disk brakes while doing it. I did not and have been sorry ever since.

Bob
Old 08-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
My daughter and son-in-law had MorRyde IS on their Kountry Star last year, along
with the disc brakes. S-I-L said it was the best thing he had done since he bought it
in 2006. I say go for it.....
Old 08-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #6

Had the IS and Disc Brake and pin box from Mor-Ryde installed May 2011, and upgraded the wheels and tires to 17.5". We go to and from Alaska every year. We are very happy with the change. The 5th is 15,500#, the truck is a dually, the braking is awesome, and the ride in both truck and trailer are much improved. I would do it again.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #7

Another indépendant suspension option is rubber torsion axes, Dexter and Al-Ko are at least two brands. They are pretty common on lighter RVs, horse trailers and some cargo trailers. I had them on several RVs and they definitely ride better than leaf spring suspension. My last fifth wheel with leaf springs had a terrible ride and within three months I had the Mor/ryde IS installed. It made a huge difference. Kept the fiver for 7 years and pu many miles on it. My present fiver also has leaf springs and rides OK, but now that it is out of warranty, I plan on replacing the suspension soon. Just haven't decided between the Mor/ryde IS or rubber torsion axles.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
D&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
Another indépendant suspension option is rubber torsion axes, Dexter and Al-Ko are at least two brands. They are pretty common on lighter RVs, horse trailers and some cargo trailers. I had them on several RVs and they definitely ride better than leaf spring suspension. My last fifth wheel with leaf springs had a terrible ride and within three months I had the Mor/ryde IS installed. It made a huge difference. Kept the fiver for 7 years and pu many miles on it. My present fiver also has leaf springs and rides OK, but now that it is out of warranty, I plan on replacing the suspension soon. Just haven't decided between the Mor/ryde IS or rubber torsion axles.
I have been thinking of installing the Dexter Torq-Flex only because it's easier to do it myself, I have them on enclosed trailer at it pulls like a dream.

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier
D&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #9

I put I/S on this spring, well worth the money. Do the disc brakes too, I had done my own 3 yrs ago, two best mods I have done.
jnbhobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Larmolljr
I have 2000 Newmar 31ft 5ver. The mor/Ryde IS system was installed as an option. Have had no problems with it, however went back and had disc brakes installed. That is the only way to go. Trailer now has 97000 miles on it and still going strong.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #11

Anyone have any idea how long the rubber "springs" last on the IS? To me it looks like the shear loading on the rubber would destroy it quickly, but I didn't design it, so I don't know how it's made.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Larmolljr
My shear rubber lasted 10 years, one had a small tear in it and the deflection for the others were approaching out of spec. At that time the 5ver had 80000 miles plus. Trailer axles will last as long as you do not over load them. Each tire should be weighed separately and all on individual scales at the same time. This will tell where your load is, front, back and left to right. This will also show tire wear, as one corner may be caring more of the load.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Anyone have any idea how long the rubber "springs" last on the IS? To me it looks like the shear loading on the rubber would destroy it quickly, but I didn't design it, so I don't know how it's made.
Mine was still fine at 7 years when I sold the fiver, even sent pics to Mor/ryde to confirm that they were OK prior to the sale.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #14

I've had 4 heavy 5ers (from 16.5K lbs to 23.5K lbs) with Mor/ryde IS suspension. On my last two 5ers I built custom units and could have had air ride put on. I chose the M/R. I think it is the finest suspension available for a typical 5er. For a semi-trailer I'd probably put on air ride because of the axle setup....but for a conventional 5er I would use M/R.

I replaced one rubber spring pack on the 16.5K trailer. Newmar undersized the spring pack and it failed....I replaced it on the road, and then Newmar paid to replace the others.

We are fulltimers, so all those trailers were on the road all the time. If you do re-axle I would for SURE put on disc brakes. EVERY RV should have disc brakes, IMO.

Tags
suspension