Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #1

Independent Suspension Worth it?

Just returned from our local RV show and had stopped by the MORRYDE booth. Saw their independent suspension option that I could have installed on my 2016 BayHill. Just wondering if anyone else here has installed the product and what benefits you have seen. I checked my spring shackles and the links are pretty thin so I am concerned because I cannot grease them that they will fail. Am I being naïve here in thinking this is something I should do or is the system worth the $6,100.00 installed price?

The system I am looking at would also change my brakes over to hydraulic brakes.

My rig is a 379 FL and I am towing with a 2017 Ram 3500 short box 4 door model.
Trail Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2017, 05:11 AM   #2

What increases stability is dirt cheap. IS does that in spades. 5ers are inherently unstable.

And TUSON antilock disc brakes a no-brainer as well. Just conjure up any situation demanding ideal brake performance. Drums are always a problem.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #3

Years ago I had a trailer that rode terribly, had Mor/ryde install their IS system and never had another problem and never needed a cushioned pin box or hitch. It is better to actually improve the trailer's ride than to isolate it from the truck/driver. But only you know how your trailer tows today and if the improvement will be worth the cost.

A disc brake upgrade is ALWAYS going to be a worthwhile investment, better safety every mile you are towing.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:56 PM   #4

I've looked into it, but my 5th wheel is brand new. Like dayle1 said, you know how yours tow, so go by that. Mine is towing really nice right now, and my 2017 Ford F350 DRW, can stop my 16K 5th wheel with no problems. I would love to have had the MORRyde suspension installed as an option, but that wasn't an option. At this time, I can't see putting 6,100 into a suspension. If I do anything it will probably just disc breaks later down the road.

2017 F 350, Bronze Fire, King Ranch Ulitmate
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic204267_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
Wolffox00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:12 PM   #5

Put in a Moryde 4000. 4inches travel a shackle kit with bronze bushing and disc brakes. Total 2200 if you install yourself. Not independent but much better then what you have.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:05 PM   #6

If I were buying a new trailer and I had a lot of money, I might consider a suspension upgrade. You can just replace all your shackles with a wet bolt system, and add shocks for a heck of lot less money. On the brakes yes you could spend 700.00$ for disks, but every train, and heavy duty truck rig is running drums. I do have disc brakes on my boat trailer and they work fine, but on my other trailers the drum brakes are fine also. If you had some horrific problems with your trailer handling, I would suspect under sized axles and tires and weight issues. Good luck with your decision. Dave-R
Old 02-14-2017, 08:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-R View Post
If I were buying a new trailer and I had a lot of money, I might consider a suspension upgrade. You can just replace all your shackles with a wet bolt system, and add shocks for a heck of lot less money. On the brakes yes you could spend 700.00$ for disks, but every train, and heavy duty truck rig is running drums. I do have disc brakes on my boat trailer and they work fine, but on my other trailers the drum brakes are fine also. If you had some horrific problems with your trailer handling, I would suspect under sized axles and tires and weight issues. Good luck with your decision. Dave-R
Actually no... not every HD truck runs drums. Apparently they stop better while reducing weight.

Ready to Switch to Air Disc Brakes?

Additionally, Disc brakes for a tandum 7k axle trailer will run about $1800.00 plus installation if you are converting from an electric drum system. Aside from the improved stopping of the discs they also do not require adjustment, provide for easy visual inspection of pad life and grease seal. They also will not lose stopping ability in the event of a seal failure.

I installed my own disc brakes to our Cedar Creek. The braking ability increase is truly "night and day" and worth every penny for the added safety. IMHO

Our trailer has a wet bolt suspension and rides pretty well but an independant suspension would make it that much better...
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:51 AM   #8

Independent suspension would be really nice. But with all the problems that can come up with RV's I know I wouldn't dump anymore money in one than I had too. If I were buying new and were deciding between several and one had IS then that would definitely weigh in favor. Just like auto level. I don't have it, but I'm sure not going to dump $3 grand into my trailer just to stand there and watch it level up. These things depreciate too fast to dump big chunks of money into them.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #9

Are you a full timer? If so, you may want to invest in the Moryde IS. We ordered our 5th wheel with it , 17.5 H rated tires, and disc brakes. Would not have a big 5th wheel without these options when fulltiming. Disc brakes are awesome.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:52 AM   #10
IC2

If you are a weekender/week or so vacationer, then there really is little performance or value payback on a $6100 IS - but it is something to consider on the next 5er. For FT use, then maybe, depending on how yours handles. It might be that another spring leaf will help a lot. Disc brakes, IMHO, should not be an option but a necessity on any TT or 5er that exceeds +/-10K pounds. Electric drum brakes rather then hydraulic just don't react fast enough in the crummy traffic conditions of today. My disc 'kit' is waiting for 16" of yesterday's snow to disappear and some warmer weather.

Usual disclaimer - my opinion though based on 42 years of 5ers and TTs
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Master View Post
Just returned from our local RV show and had stopped by the MORRYDE booth. Saw their independent suspension option that I could have installed on my 2016 BayHill. Just wondering if anyone else here has installed the product and what benefits you have seen. I checked my spring shackles and the links are pretty thin so I am concerned because I cannot grease them that they will fail. Am I being naïve here in thinking this is something I should do or is the system worth the $6,100.00 installed price?

The system I am looking at would also change my brakes over to hydraulic brakes.

My rig is a 379 FL and I am towing with a 2017 Ram 3500 short box 4 door model.
I had the Mor-Ryde lre 4100 suspension on my Montana with the wet bolt kit. I had already looked into the IS and Kodiak disc brakes from Mor-ryde when the rear wet bolt sheared and and shifted my axle back and to an angle. My rear tire was wearing real slick and that's what caught my attention. I decided then i would have Mor-Ryde install the IS and brakes. If you travel a lot of miles each year or just one long trip then i feel it is worth it. If i was just camping close to home several times a year then maybe not. I've had Mor-Ryde's 2nd best suspension and it is not even close to the IS. With the IS you don't have to worry about broken springs,axles, shackles and bolts. This is the best suspension you can have on your rv period. There has been mention that any add-ons is a waste of money but i don't want a catastrophe on the hiway. The safety of you and your family is more important than worring about not getting your money back from your improvement.All the RV forums are full of discussions about broken axles,springs ,shackles and bolts. Botton line, the IS and brakes are the best improvement you can do to your RV. As for as the brakes,your rig will stop quicker with the disc brakes than your truck without the RV. I thought it was just me thinking this until i saw several other people saying the same thing on these forums. These are improvements you want regret.Safe-Travels.
shelbytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:25 PM   #12
JDT

Another option is the Center Point RV air ride suspension system. Doesn't change the brakes but at about $1250 for the complete kit it is quite a bit cheaper and does a really good job. We have a rear kitchen model and after I put the system on we got a whole lot less movement of stuff. In fact, I drove about a 100 miles with half a cup of coffee on the bath sink counter and it did not spill a drop. I installed it myself as it is a rather straight forward project. It's been on almost 4 years now and never a problem. Just have to keep it at the right air pressure but I've gone as long as 6 weeks without touching it. It's not on the level of the MorRyde IS, I'm sure, but it works.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Put in a Moryde 4000. 4inches travel a shackle kit with bronze bushing and disc brakes. Total 2200 if you install yourself. Not independent but much better then what you have.
So, what is the difference in this and the Equa-Flex Suspension and Never Fail Bushings?

2017 F 350, Bronze Fire, King Ranch Ulitmate
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic204267_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
Wolffox00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #14

Whats the advantage here?

My coach has the old school dual link suspension. I have lost a TV to a major train track berm - not sure any kind of suspension would have helped with that particular situation - but other then that...I'm not sure I care if the trailer has a slightly harder ride....its not like I'm in it...
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension