Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2022, 06:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselguy4 View Post
Run max pressure in your camper ST tires. They will stay cooler that way. I run 80 PSI in my 235/80R16 load range e tires. I have a 13500 lb fifth wheel. I have 10500 lbs on 2 7000 lb axles. Running down the road at 70 mph in 98 degree heat my tire pressure goes to 94 PSI. The tire is designed to do that. Tires fail for 3 reasons
1. overloaded
2. Excessive speed. Running faster than the tire is designed
3. under inflated. Running to low of pressure causing heat to build up and blow the tire.

Keep the tires inflated to max pressure, weight your camper and know the weight, ensure you know the speed rating of your tires and keep you camper level to distribute the weight on the axles evenly and you should be fine towing.
The only problem with running them at max psi is that if they are not at or near max load you will prematurely wear them out. That of course is better than under inflating them for the reasons you mentioned so when in doubt over inflate.
dave22554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2022, 06:44 AM   #16

More tires fail from underinflation than overinflation. I always run my tires at the max inflation pressure . That is where the best safety margin is. If the load is way less than the load capacity of the tire and you need a more comfortable ride then i would reduce the tire pressure a little.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvltrash View Post
Something to think about:
I was coming across South Dakota A couple weeks ago temps were 106 F
TPMS on truck tires was up to 91 psi, started at 80psi kept the speed at 64mph I was a little concerned about the trailer tires I'm sure they were up there as well.
I have NEVER seen a tire manufacturer tell anyone to allow for the extra psi due to higher temps or the increase in temp from the tire just being used as intended.
There is no reason for concern.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave22554 View Post
The only problem with running them at max psi is that if they are not at or near max load you will prematurely wear them out. That of course is better than under inflating them for the reasons you mentioned so when in doubt over inflate.
With being inflated to max pressure and less road contact, why would they wear out prematurely?

Ever see a big rig letting air out of his tires when empty ? Owner operators pay for those tires.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:04 PM   #19

Here's the thing with replacing your OEM tires with Endurance Good Year (or any other brand tire with higher psi range)- You must know the maximum psi of your trailer's rim.
Yes, trailer rims have a max psi rating that they can safely handle. For example, my OEM TT tires require load range "D" at 65psi, or 2,040 lbs per axle, as required by my TT manufacturer.

I intend to buy Good Year Endurance tires when I go to replace. However, I will be running them at 65psi as required by my trailer manufacturer and as required by Good Year Endurance load rating table for Load range "D" trailer tires- 65psi/2040 lbs per tire.

Nevertheless, I would have no problem running at 80 psi so long as I can positively determine that my rims can safely handle the increased pressure.

It all boils down to the psi rating of your TT rims.
NomadBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:08 PM   #20

If the tires sidewall says 80 psi cold, that's what you should use and then only add if you check them later (while cold) and they are less than 80. Tires in sunlight are not cold. Tires sat immobile for 12 hours and are shaded are cold.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:01 AM   #21

Too little pressure is far worse than too much. That said my GY Endurance chart shows I only need a minimum of 40psi for my trailer weight.......due to all the reasons mentioned, I have no intention running them at 40, however I feel 80 is significantly overkill and will wear out the tires more quickly and shake the trailer and contents more on gravel and washboard so I use 65PSI. YMMV

Dave
Old 08-14-2022, 09:28 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amauri View Post
........According to Goodyear's load inflation table for this model/size tire I should be running 60-psi which equals 2870-lbs load capacity per tire. I've been running the max 80-psi but based on the load inflation table, I'm now thinking of running 65-psi....Is this a good idea?
No, you should inflate them to a safe load margin, say 10%, above that for safety and improved tire wear. If it were my tires I would inflate the tire's 80 psg maxiumum cold My trailer's G rated tires and inflate them to the 110 psg maximum cold.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:16 AM   #23

There isn’t any provision in FMVSS standards to inflate your RV trailer tires to the load carried. That method is used by another industry and their regulations are not applicable with FMVSS standards.

The correct inflation pressures for your RV trailer tires can be found in the vehicle owner’s manual, on the vehicle certification label and on the load and inflation placard. Anything below vehicle manufacturer cold recommendations is under inflation. Should you have excess inflation pressures above vehicle manufacturer’s cold recommendations it can be used as an option to gain load capacity reserves. The maximum tire inflation pressures are found on the tire sidewall. Remember, that pressure is not a recommendation.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, trailer, weight