Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2022, 11:48 AM   #1

inflate tires to max 80-psi or to match trailer's weight?

Hello,
I'm sure this has been discussed before, i just don't have much luck with the search function.

My 5th wheel trailer's GVW is 14,000-lbs
Two axles rated at 6,000-lbs ea
ST235/80r16E max 3420-lbs @ 80-psi

Cat scales show 11,100-lbs on the trailer axles when fully loaded and hitched to my 1-ton TV.

11,110 divided by four = 2750-lbs load on each tire.

According to Goodyear's load inflation table for this model/size tire I should be running 60-psi which equals 2870-lbs load capacity per tire.
I've been running the max 80-psi but based on the load inflation table, I'm now thinking of running 65-psi.

Is this a good idea?

Thanks
amauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2022, 11:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You need a side to side weight to see if one side is heavier than the other. Then when calculating tire pressure you need to use the weight on the heaviest side for all the tires.

If one side is 300lbs heavier than the other side then set the tire pressures to the weight on the heaviest side.

But me... I'd run 80 PSI in a trailer's tires and I keep my speed below the max allowed speed, too. Blowing a trailer tire is like a bomb going off. It can do a lot of collateral damage when it happens.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:01 PM   #3

Put 70 in and donít worry about it !
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 12:24 PM   #4

I did think about one side being heavier than the other, but haven't had a chance to weigh each wheel.

70-psi is a good compromise and still gives me 390-lbs safety factor per tire.

Nothing wrong with 80-psi I suppose.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amauri View Post
Hello,
I'm sure this has been discussed before, i just don't have much luck with the search function.

Cat scales show 11,100-lbs on the trailer axles when fully loaded and hitched to my 1-ton TV.

According to Goodyear's load inflation table for this model/size tire I should be running 60-psi which equals 2870-lbs load capacity per tire.
I've been running the max 80-psi but based on the load inflation table, I'm now thinking of running 65-psi.

Is this a good idea?

Thanks
The Goodyear Load Inflation Table does not recommend tire pressures. It gives the maximum safe load that you can carry based on tire pressure. In other words, for a particular load, you have to maintain the minimum pressure for that load, but you can go as high as the maximum pressure that is stamped onto the tire sidewall.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
The Goodyear Load Inflation Table does not recommend tire pressures. It gives the maximum safe load that you can carry based on tire pressure. In other words, for a particular load, you have to maintain the minimum pressure for that load, but you can go as high as the maximum pressure that is stamped onto the tire sidewall.
That makes sense, thanks
Old 08-01-2022, 07:13 PM   #7

Something to think about:
I was coming across South Dakota A couple weeks ago temps were 106 F
TPMS on truck tires was up to 91 psi, started at 80psi kept the speed at 64mph I was a little concerned about the trailer tires I'm sure they were up there as well.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:34 PM   #8

There are a couple more things worth considering before anyone starts reducing pressure on the tires.
1. The load pressure charts are based on a new tire. How old are yours? I've read several times over the years that on average, a tire load carrying capacity may decrease 8%-10% for every year of age. Even if it turns out that you take good care of the tires....balanced on the wheel, run the correct pressure, etc and it only decreases 5% a year, the load capacity of that tire for that given pressure has decreased from the value that the tire load chart states. So how much are you willing to gamble.
2. The only true way to know the weight on a tire is to have them weighed individually. Four tires = four weights. Six tires = six weights. So it's not just a side to side weight, it needs to be on a per tire basis if you are going to start gambling with reduced tire pressures. Probably by now, almost every single person on these forums knows that the biggest enemy of our tires is running with too low of a tire pressure, which allows the tire to flex more, which causes more heat build up in the tire, which causes the BOOM! and an unscheduled stop on the side of the road.

In my opinion, unless you've had a weigh in done on the individual tires..AND you have some sure fire method of calculating the tire degradation for the age of the tire, run the pressure that is listed on the sidewall of the tire. That pressure is telling you that when the tire was new, and it was inflated to that pressure, it would provide you with xxxx lbs of load carrying capacity.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvltrash View Post
TPMS on truck tires was up to 91 psi, started at 80psi kept the speed at 64mph I was a little concerned about the trailer tires I'm sure they were up there as well.
If the tire were properly inflated at the start of your trip, and before you started moving and before the sun had heated them up, the tires are engineered and manufactured to take into acct the heat rise during warmer temperatures and the resultant pressure increase.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:44 PM   #10

Tire pressure charts area minimum. Not a good idea for tires on a trailer with close spaced axles in the middle of the vehicle that see lots if side scrubbing at ever turn.
Thats why tire experts and even Goodyear recommend max sidewall pressures for tires on a trailer. Goodyear says this about the subject: https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/weighing-your-rv.aspx

Special Considerations
** Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up. **

Tireman9 blog rvtiresafety has pages of reasons tires on trailers, unlike our trucks/motor homes with tires at the corners, need max pressures t help hold the tire together as its side scrubbing while turning.
https://www.rvtiresafety.net/2015/10...-pressure.html
and
https://www.rvtiresafety.net/2013/11...no-babble.html.

Other rv tire blogs have about the same max sidewall psi recommendations for trailers as Tireman9 recommendations.
Lots of tire tech in those blogs.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:15 AM   #11

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amauri View Post
Hello,

Is this a good idea?

Thanks
Most of the tire inflation charts not produced by the tire manufacturer will recommend adding 10% of the recommended psi to load so your in the ball park.
All the posts are good information while considering the correct psi for your rig, canít stress enough for your rig and not someone elseís.
Iíve never been a fan of different air pressure in tires on the same axel (unless you are racing) so attempt to get a four corner weight and set all four to the heavier tire. On final note, In the place of a four corner weight I go with the 10% increase and make 2 psi adjustments on all four tires up or down until I get a nice even tread to surface contact. Find a good flat surface pour water on it and pull all four trailer tires through the water, stop and observe how the tire is striking the ground.
Skilletface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvltrash View Post
From Car and Driver

How hot does the tire get? Typical tires experience a temperature increase of roughly 50 degrees after running on the highway for a half-hour. If it's a 70-degree day, this suggests a tire temperature of about 120 degrees. If it's a hotter day, or you're driving faster, or you're hauling a heavier load, or your tires don't have the proper air pressures, they could get hotter. To limit these temperatures, some automakers recommend increasing tire pressures for heavier loads or sustained high speeds.

I would inflate tires to 5-10 lbs over the rated weight up to the max cold pressure or to the minimum pressure which ever is less. Inflating tires to the max cold pressure with light loads will cause premature wear in the center of the tire not to mention you have less rubber on the road. Just my .02
dave22554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:53 AM   #13

I've seen my g rated tires on my toy hauler get as high as 160 degrees on a 96 degree day and driving on black asvault. I mainly look for one tire being too much higher than the others. If i recall correctly the pressure went from 110 psi cold to almost 120 psi hot. the rear truck tires went from 80psi to 92psi on the same day.
rblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:15 AM   #14

run max pressure

Run max pressure in your camper ST tires. They will stay cooler that way. I run 80 PSI in my 235/80R16 load range e tires. I have a 13500 lb fifth wheel. I have 10500 lbs on 2 7000 lb axles. Running down the road at 70 mph in 98 degree heat my tire pressure goes to 94 PSI. The tire is designed to do that. Tires fail for 3 reasons
1. overloaded
2. Excessive speed. Running faster than the tire is designed
3. under inflated. Running to low of pressure causing heat to build up and blow the tire.

Keep the tires inflated to max pressure, weight your camper and know the weight, ensure you know the speed rating of your tires and keep you camper level to distribute the weight on the axles evenly and you should be fine towing.
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, trailer, weight