Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #1

Question Insight Please With Multiple Issues

Seeking a little insight. Just upgraded two weeks ago to a 2022 43'11" Sabre fifth wheel by Forrest River. First, There are little aluminum supports holding the skirting in place. Two have now busted allowing the skirting to be blown loose by the wind when traveling. Has to temporarily fix with pop rivets. Next, the blasted drain valves apparently are not closing all the way. Narrowly avoided a biological disaster. And yesterday, after driving all day, we stopped for the night only to discover that the glass shower door had shattered all over the bathroom. ( Yes, the travel lock was in place ). Called the dealer this morning to inquire about using the "all inclusive lifetime warranty, good at any professional dealer. Only to be told that it had to be by a Forest River dealer and that follow up work related to that claim would have to be performed by the same dealer. We're 2000 miles from home for heaven's sake. Called the nearest dealer, about 4 hours away, and was told it would take a month to get the parts. Some warranty. Then I read on the forums yesterday about exploding castle rock tires. Guess what? I have them. No explosions yet. Where did I go wrong?
Klieva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2021, 04:56 PM   #2

Hind site is always 20-20 . Get a shower curtain for a temp fix . For the tanks get the valve you can put on just before the opening . You can put that on yourself and use it if your other valves are not working properly . Also buy a back flow / dump attachment to hook a hose into and back flush your tank . Might get whatever is holding the valve from closing properly all the items are readily available in a decently stocked RV store . Good luck !
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:33 PM   #3

Some of the shower enclosures are made by Shower Enclosures of America. You might be able to get replacement parts yourself.

I have had more waste knife valves leak than not leak. I replace the stock waste cap with a clear one that has a garden hose male fitting. You can see if there is some waste water behind the cap and bleed it off into your waste hose using the garden hose fitting. I have one from Valterra showing up tomorrow - about $10.50 from Amazon.
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:05 PM   #4

Regarding Castle Rock tires, they may last a few years, but it would cost less to install 4 new Goodyear Endurance tires than it would to repair the damage if a Castle Rock blows!
I've had the Goodyear Endurance for 2 1/2 years, nearly 20,000 miles. Only one tire warranty replaced for uneven wear pattern.
Ready for a new set now.

Sent from my moto e (XT2052DL) using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
lisaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #5

Warranty has nothing to do with parts delivery time. The RV industry is a mess right now with lots of parts not available to finish RV's.
Like mentioned add one of these to the end of the sewer dump.
https://www.campingworld.com/twist-o...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
I too have actually had several biological disaster's. Started carrying a 5 gal bucket just incase. Added the above valve this summer and have not had to worry about a brown mess.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The outside valve is a great addition to anyone’s toolbox. I leave mine on , all it takes is one valve failure to make you a believer Do the temp fixes and get in line when you get home. Pretty much standard. Warranty is only good if parts are available. RE the tires I’d upgrade not only the brand but the weight rating if possible , like from a D to an E.if they aren’t already As I’ve said on that thread , the tires on now are probably the minimum rating for the axles rating.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #7

Same kind of things happen to us , still do . The Nautilus shower door and works great I had two doors shatter, the doors are nice but the showers they use won't hold the anchors . We had lots of problems and now know take them one at a time. Vanleigh is nice about sending you parts to install yourself.
Do the work yourself as it will save time and you will know the second time around.
Good luck I have bough new and used same ..same for us.
Massanutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:59 PM   #8

As others have stated on shower doors and dump valve as for tires I would go with Saliun 637's they are a great tire that just happens to cost alot less. Check them out here on forum. They are well liked for 5th wheels.

Order tires from simpletire.com. With the money you save get a quality TPMS so you can see if you have a issue with the tires before they cause damage. One curb or large pothole can actually damage tires.

Send a email message to forest river about the clips. I bet they will send you some. A trick I have learned after screwing in screws to support clips and wheelwell screws, get a tube of silcone seal and coat threaded area of screw inside wheel well. Keeps the screw from losening and falling out. You are still able to remove screw if necessary afterwards. I just glob it on each screw in tbe inside of wheelwell.
Dennisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:00 AM   #9

I would definitely get the tires changed to something better right away. I have had blow outs (different brand of tire) and the damage it does and the aggravation it causes is far worse than the expense of a new set of tires now. Like someone already mentioned I would probably go up a load range also. You have a lot of trailer there.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:20 AM   #10

None of this is really uncommon.... but in reality you spend a little more for peace of mind, or let a few little nit picky things ruin the experience.

The valves are prone to leaking. I too installed a second twist on Valterra valve so that I have an extra level of protection since my black tank valve doesn't close all the way either. Cost me $22.

Tires are primarily the cheapest ones that the manufacturer can install. The first thing I did was replace mine with Sailun S637s. Best investment to date, so far. Cost me $620 installed.

I had a few minor issues with my coachmen, and all were resolved by contacting Coachmen directly. They shipped the parts to my house, free of charge. Saved me months from the dealer backlog. I spent those weekends camping instead of mulling over why the dealer was taking so long.