RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2020, 09:04 AM   #1

Installing larger windows in bedroom of 5th wheel

my 2017 Primetime crusader lite 5th wheel came with some of the smallest windows ever in the bedroom.

I would like to order new larger windows to replace the smaller windows

The question I have is, has anyone done this before, and if so what is the difficulty level.

2nd question, will it compromise structural integrity of the 5th wheel in any way?

regards,

Mike
mbradford99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2020, 09:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradford99 View Post
my 2017 Primetime crusader lite 5th wheel came with some of the smallest windows ever in the bedroom.

I would like to order new larger windows to replace the smaller windows

The question I have is, has anyone done this before, and if so what is the difficulty level.

2nd question, will it compromise structural integrity of the 5th wheel in any way?

regards,

Mike
Installing a larger window would involve cutting the side to the desired new size. At the factory they use a template and basically a long router cutting bit to make the opening. Obviously you would need to have the new window, make the template, before making any cuts. Now your question about whether it will compromise the structural integrity would depend if there were any structural members in the area. Also there is no way to get a side wall framing diagram from the factory because they don't exist apparently. Some will make suggestions about checking the side to the trailer on a cool damp morning to locate the frame structure. Those members could be wood or aluminum. A stud finder is likely useless on an RV and there is NO standard for stud placement like in residential housing.

Note the windows generally are 2 parts, outer frame which has the glass parts, and inner frame which pulls the 2 sections together. Of course appropriate sealants. "Frameless windows" is a misnomer as the do have the 2 frame sections, just not as visible as the rubber gasket mounted type.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:02 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This could be doable if you have the right skills and knowledge to tackle it sucessfully. If the exterior is aluminum corrigated sheet it will be harder to do.

You need to figure out the framing in the area first. Compromise it and there will be issues.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:26 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Yes I helped a buddy with his Class A. The end windows in his slide out were fixed so he had no cross ventilation. He ordered two larger opening windows. We made a template, marked the the area & cut with a saws all. Tape the cut area and use a fine tooth blade.

Here's a video on how they come apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2399.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	306620   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2402.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	306621  

Name:	DSCN2404.jpg
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	306622   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2409.jpg
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	306623  

Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:28 PM   #5

I have wanted to do that same thing to our fifth wheel bedroom slide out. The existing windows don't open and I wanted cross ventilation. Herr wanted $500 for a replacement same size open type window. I found a couple of $25 windows at a RV surplus store near Elkhardt, IN, but they were about 2" wider.
I did remove the frameless window and it is framed in on all 4 sides with 2x2 aluminum tubing. It looks like the side uprights would need to be cut off to keep the window centered which would affect the wall structure. The only way to do this would be to remove the wall siding and frame in the window with a new header.

Way more work than I wanted to do!!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:02 PM   #6

Our 5vr is aluminum framed and every window is framed in (header/sides/sill)

Swapping larger windows would require enlarging interior/exterior opening, cutting existing framing and reframing opening to provide support.

I would be surprised if your windows are NOT framed.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:23 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
The was no framing in the Winnebago class A. Even framed I don't think they are structural supports. Aluminum frame could be cut and re framed with wood to what ever size, at a day each a two day project. I lived off grid in N Idaho several years in a home built cabin 25 miles to town. You learned how to make it happen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cab3.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	702.8 KB
ID:	306688  
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:05 AM   #8

If the aluminum framing was not needed for structural support, why were they put in? The RV industry is not known for their over design tendencies.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:11 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cutting framing WILL WEAKEN the structurer. As noted above, the RV industry is not known for over design.

I'd leave well enough alone and power your ventilation with a 12 volt fan.

Ken
Old 11-02-2020, 09:33 AM   #10

The OP's best bet is to remove the existing window and see what the framing looks like. If it is a foam filled wall, then he may be able to enlarge the opening. Try this place for a replacement window.
https://factoryrvsurplus.com/collections/windows/Window
Old 11-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
The OP's best bet is to remove the existing window and see what the framing looks like. If it is a foam filled wall, then he may be able to enlarge the opening. Try this place for a replacement window.
I have replaced the windows with ones that open, didn't change the size, but there was no framing around the window, just styrofoam.

IMO as long as there is no framing, measure twice, cut once and it shouldn't be difficult. Window is only held in by the ring around it from the inside.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
^^^This

If it is foam insulation get a stiff piece of wire and shove it into the foam to determine where the studs are or if they are even close enough to matter.

If you have aluminum siding you'll need to resize the 2x2 window framing.

Either way is is an easy job, these things are simply built. It ain't rocket surgery.
Boogie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:05 PM   #13

I added a window to the bedroom area in our Arctic Fox 27-5. The factory was nice enough to send me a print of where the sidewall framing members were along with their disclaimer recommending against adding a window but without any reason not to. I had no framing in the way, it was just the bonded foam wall. Ordered the window and made a template. Cut the hole and put the window in. Easy job, only took about 90 minutes start to finish and two months of worry and consternation. So far it's been two years and 15,000 miles without a glitch. I'd pull the inside frame of one of your windows and see whats there. Run a probe thru the foam to see how far it is to the framing.

Tags
5th wheel, install, wind, window