Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2019, 04:56 PM   #1

KZ RV Club
Installing Reflectix over windows

I’m staying a few weeks in the DFW area expecting temps in high 90’s next week. I have a 2019 KZ Durango Gold 380FLF (front living). I had some trouble last year staying in low 70’s in RV Park with full sun. I’ve seen others that installed the silver bubble wrap looking reflectix I’ve windows. For those that use it does it help with cooling? How is it best installed? I was thinking of cutting to fit large windows in front living and attach with Velcro so it’s reusable.
Regards Ron
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It will help a bunch for sure. Some folks cut it to fit inside but outside is even better for cooling.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #3

We use Reflexit and cut it about 1/8" oversize for the window. This allows us to just press the Reflexit panel into the window opening and it will stay there. If there is a screen, just remove it.
Reflexit really helps for keeping our fifth wheel warm in cold temps. If the temps drop below 30F at night, just 1 space heater will keep it 55-60 at night, otherwise we would need 2 space heaters. We don't stay in really hot weather areas, but I would think the Reflexit would work good for cooling efficiency, but it would be dark inside.
We use a marker to label which window each panel will fit and store them under the mattress. Some pieces have been used for 4 years now.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
It will help a bunch for sure. Some folks cut it to fit inside but outside is even better for cooling.
Have to agree with that. Outside to stop the heat, inside to keep heat in.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #5

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
We use it on windshield. The sun visors hold it up
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:59 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I use it and put it between my windshield cover and the outside of the windshield. Big improvement. No matter how close you put to the inside of the glass, the heat is already in, but it helps some.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #7

We put it on inside of glass. Used a infrared thermometer gun. Instant reading on table top of 20*F cooler than with the blind only in Florida on a 90*F day couple years ago. I just pulled coroplast under my trailer added a layer of reflectix and 4 inch fiberglass batt above it from basement to rear bumper. Also changed out furnace floor registers to one's with shutoff dampers. Inside of trailer seems to be holding the cold better and longer. Single 15k A/C on 37 foot jayco eagle.
Will see if we need the second A/C.
Before the changes A/C would run constant day and most of night.

RoadrunnerII
Old 07-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #8

It helps a lot. Also use it in shower skylight and bathroom vent fan area. Just over size a little and press in from inside.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #9

I have used it in two Safari Treks. Windshield & driver - passenger side windows for the '95, but windshield only in the '99 since all side windows are double pane and I read somewhere that reflectix promotes fogging in these windows.

The stuff really works; even in the inside of the windshield. I first put self adhesive Velcro around the windshield to better seal the reflectix, but the heat inside the glass melted the adhesive
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:41 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've always known that reflectix works, it does keep you from seeing out of the window/s. You might consider these for heat blocking.

https://www.shadepro.net/product/window-cover/

I plan to order 6 of these for windows on our 5th wheel that get the afternoon and evening sun. You can see out of the window well but they really block the sun and heat transfer.

I used these on my two previous motorhome windshields and they really worked well.

Our 5th wheel stays in the same spot on a permanent site so I don't need them for all the windows, especially those under the patio awnings.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:09 PM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
The Shade Pro looks similar to my interior MCD day/night day shades in our rig. The nights shades are white and are total black-out and the day shade is of the black mesh material. You can see through it and it does block a lot of direct sunlight, however, I do not think they really keep out the heat. They absorb a lot of heat and are hot to the touch.
The deep tint windows themselves get very hot, too.
The best windows for reflecting heat I ever had were in a former fiver. They were single pane and not tinted. We installed 3M reflective mirror tint on them. It did a great job of keeping out heat. You cannot use it on double pane, however.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #12

KZ RV Club
Installing Reflectix over windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
The Shade Pro looks similar to my interior MCD day/night day shades in our rig. The nights shades are white and are total black-out and the day shade is of the black mesh material. You can see through it and it does block a lot of direct sunlight, however, I do not think they really keep out the heat. They absorb a lot of heat and are hot to the touch.
The best windows for reflecting heat I ever had were in a former fiver. They were single pane and not tinted. We installed 3M reflective mirror tint on them. It did a great job of keeping out heat. You cannot use it on double pane, however.

Yes my fifth wheel has the slow rise day/night shades. They do block all sun, but allow heat transfer. I’ve seen the reflexit used on several other trailers here and last month when in Galveston so I assume it’s helpful. All of my windows are fairly dark tinted as well.
I was mostly curious how people attached it as I wouldn’t want to tape it to the wall.
Regards Ron
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:48 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post

Can't compare sun blocking shades on the inside of the window to the sun blocking covers on the outside of the window. They really do block much of the heat from sun. I didn't realize how much difference they made until I compared temps of the inside of the glass (with infrared temp gun) of windows with and without the exterior shades.

Reflectix is great if you don't mind not being able to see out of your windows.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:54 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
ABSOLUTELY - On my Ole 2001 Mirada, I cut it for the front windows and windshield. I cut 4 PVC plumbing pipes, put a small notch in them, and they hold the reflectex in place against the windshield.

I also tinted the windows,

Scroll down about halfway through article to see how I did the refletex insulation.

Window tint and window covers – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, wind, window