Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #1

insulating the cap

has anyone attempted to insulate behind you nose cap. I have a fiberglass shell and understand I need to go in from inside. I also understand that I would need to use spray foam due to settlement.
christ nyhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I spoke with a fellow who did it a few years ago. He removed the cap and used aircraft insulation. It was installed with a glue. This was quite successful however he was well versed in using this material. Spray foam is not what I would use. I have used it for other things like a cab extension similar to a truck sleeper. All it did was squeak and frost over when very cold. I live in a log home and have used it between logs in minor spots because of it's expanding qualities. I just don't recommend it for what you want to do.
Good luck
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #3

You could go from the inside. You could add a shoe rack or something to your liking to cover up entry. just a thought.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #4

In my old Jayco Designer series 5er I took off the front cap and cover under the king pin and took out the thin fiberglass the factory installed batt and redid it all with ridged foam. The cap all had 2 inch wood under it and I filled every void with 2inch ridged then over filled the bigger voids with R19. Under the overhang it was all 3 inch steel box tubing. I took out the batt and install new 3 inch ridged foam. Under the darco underbelly I added 5 rolls of R 19 insulation. What a difference. Ridged foam is about 5 times more effcient then fiberglass and cuts with a hand saw with foil on both sides. Great product. I glued and screwed with fender washer all foam into place. I also added 2 inch in the storage compartment ceiling and under the bed.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #5

Good call. I know I'm going to put the rigid foam on the ceiling of the storage. I winterized the camper and took it to northern Wisconsin for 18 days over Thanksgiving. I stayed in it to find the cold spots with temps down to -18 with 28mph winds it was not hard. I have the obvious stuff figured out like I replaced all the furnace duct with insulated duct. I insulated the basement and added supports to hold the added weight. I bought a box of those foam noodles for kids in pools and wrapped all my water lines with that. The noodles are thicker and colorful! Lol! Without skirting the camper was warm but the bed is at the head and that was cold.
christ nyhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #6

I added rigid foam in some places and compartments. I also cut to fit insulation pads for every single window and storage door in the RV. I attached them to the doors. And then the windows are just loose pieces that I put up at night and then are held in place by blinds or little magnet push pins I found at a hardware store. Made a big difference and I have used them a few years now. Both in hot and cold weather as they are also reflective.
AlovesRV is offline   Reply With Quote