Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2020, 02:20 PM   #1

Insurance

Help, my wife Debbie and I purchased a new 2019 RAM 3500 Dually with the 6.7 Cummings, and a new 2020 41 ft. Keystone Montana. We plan to hit the road soon. My question is who offers the best insurance at the best price to insure our combo. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Dennis and Debbie
pasedo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #2

Will my opinion may or may not mean much but! I believe that you get what you pay for, buy cheap and suffer the consequences of buying cheap!

I use State Farm Insurance Company for my truck and my 5th wheel trailer. They cover everything thing that I have as far to home, car, truck and trailer. They may not be the lowest cost insurance company but they have come through for me. I have never had any insurance issue with State Farm in fixing any of my insurance needs. I have been a customer since the 1970’s.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #3

Article about FT Insurance Coverages.....not so sure about the companies listed. We Used National Interstate when we FTd but thought I read where they disconnected that coverage??

https://www.consumersadvocate.org/rv...aved/full-time

I prefer to use an Insurance Broker and get SEVERAL Quotes using the SAME coverage/limits to compare

IF going FT I would suggest getting a policy with Full Timers Coverage, Replacement Costs/Agreed Value/High Limits etc
Full Timers Coverage is similar to S&G Home Owners Ins. Coverage

Brokers to get quotes from
https://www.explorerrv.com/rv-insurance.html

Home | Miller RV Insurance

https://www.overlandinsurance.com/
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:10 PM   #4

I believe insurance is an ever moving target.

Last year we shopped and ended up going with Progressive. This year we did online shopping again with a site that compared companies. I was contacted by State Farm with a general quote. They wanted more info. When I called the agent explained that Progressive is competitive and hard to beat. She then came back with a quote for half of what I was paying. Needless to say this year we are with State Farm.

Each company has the own actuaries and their aggression to capture the market changes, with that so does their price. Just shop well known companies and go with the best quote for equal coverage.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseasport View Post
I believe insurance is an ever moving target.

Last year we shopped and ended up going with Progressive. This year we did online shopping again with a site that compared companies. I was contacted by State Farm with a general quote. They wanted more info. When I called the agent explained that Progressive is competitive and hard to beat. She then came back with a quote for half of what I was paying. Needless to say this year we are with State Farm.

Each company has the own actuaries and their aggression to capture the market changes, with that so does their price. Just shop well known companies and go with the best quote for equal coverage.
I would definitely go with Progressive. We bought a used Keystone Cougar. My husband would not take it off the lot without the insurance being bound. Dealer said it was not required. Do not believe them. Should something happen to it before then, you would not be covered for any damages.
We left the next day heading to Fl. from NC. My husband turned too sharply at a truck stop and hit a large dump truck. Even woke the driver while he was sleeping. We had a huge gash that covered half the length of our 36 ft. 5th wheel. Arriving in Tampa, it was pouring rain. Lazy Days was closed, but we were told to bring it in the next morning and leave it. We were surprised to find, Progressive has an Adjuster on site! We stayed at an Extended Stay Motel for 21 or 23 days. They paid almost all of it! Our paperwork had not all been entered in the computer! But, Progressive said it was bound and they were covering it.
I know this is long; but we would never use any other insurance company. First hand experience counts a lot!
We highly recommended Lazy Days in Seffner, Fl., a Tampa suburb. They were professional, kept us up to date on what was being done, and so nice. They also let us look at daily. They matched the paint exactly and excellent work. I can say, we did have trouble getting our decals from Keystone. Found they are discontinued after two years! Finally got them. We would take one to Fl. again to have repairs done to our rig. We bought a 2015 new.
boodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:01 AM   #6

When we first purchased our 33ft 5th wheel camper, I had insurance with Progressive before we picked it up.

Is it required, no. Your vehicle liability will cover all legal requirements. But your stuff will not be covered.

The insurance coverage cover our trailer, and we have an agreed upon value set. I only have replacement value insurance on everything we have insured.

I do not have any agreed upon value or replacement value set for my wife.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasedo123 View Post
Help, my wife Debbie and I purchased a new 2019 RAM 3500 Dually with the 6.7 Cummings, and a new 2020 41 ft. Keystone Montana. We plan to hit the road soon. My question is who offers the best insurance at the best price to insure our combo. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Dennis and Debbie
We use Progressive, and every year we do not have a claim the deductible goes down. Be careful with some insurance companies, you may think it is covered by your tow vehicle insurance while towing, but it may not be. First year we had Allstate on our truck, while on the road a piece of scrape steel, like a bolt, flew up and hit the RV punching a hole in the nose. Talked to Allstate and they pointed a CLAUSE in the policy that said if it is to live in it is NOT covered while being towed. So Progressive covered it without any problems.
READ your policy very carefully, to make sure it is covered while being towed
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:19 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
RV is covered by SafeCo, everything else by Amica. Haven't had a claim on the RV yet, but I was encouraged by what i heard about Safeco. Amica doesn't offer RV Insurance.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:00 AM   #9

Thank you

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will be checking out Progressive, and a Broker.
Dennis
pasedo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #10

One more suggestion on INS! Check with your states Department on INS and see what each company you choose to use has any complaints that are lodge against that company.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #11

I had an issue with my old carrier... won't share who that was, but we own 3 vehicles, a Class A motorhome and several houses across 4 states.... my DAVE RAMSEY endorsed local provider in Spokane WA writes it all.... I turn on/off vehicles as they move in/out of storage.... he writes the rental homes... etc...

My former provider paid off a loss of a vehicle that caught fire.... 6 months later after the claim was paid and the insurance company took the vehicle and title I got a letter from Phoenix AZ saying my car was in impound as an abandoned vehicle... they wanted a fine of $500 plus towing and storage for a vehicle I had signed off the the insurance company.... which they sold at auction without ever changing the title..... they did JACK SH** for me when I called them....the claim is closed, we can't help you... none of my agents (4) would help.... NO ONE WOULD LISTEN.. I had signed off the title and kept a copy.... that cleared me with Phoenix and the state of AZ..... I could prove I didn't own the vehicle.... at that moment I decided to change after listening to DAVE on his radio show.... mind you I had been with one of those agents for 35 years...

The new agent (1 guy) wrote it all and saved me $2K a year.... But with both companies the ROAD SERVICE SUCKS...... used it 4 times over 20 years... and each time what a mess.... My new agent is a gem.... really, really like him and I can't say enough about DAVE RAMSEY

Just my story...
Old 11-23-2020, 05:21 AM   #12

One thing to consider about Progressive is they will not a policy to be suspended while a veichle is in storage.

My RV and toad spend several months is storage so I see no need to pay for policies during that time. When I had progressive the agent told me they would report to DMV if I cancelled the policy. That was a deal breaker for me when finding other companies that allow for the insurance to be turned on and turned off. That said I don't have lien holders which might make a difference for others.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:08 AM   #13

My insurance story for my 1st travel trailer.
I called my insurance agent and told them what we were doing. Going to be snowbirds from Ohio to Florida. Well to make this shorter they had no idea what we were talking about. Insurance was Westfield.

I switched to Geico. They knew exactly what a 'snowbird' was. They said they even insure if someone gets hurt while on my RV site. Also it is the Auto insurance that covers the trailer while towing.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
RV is covered by SafeCo, everything else by Amica. Haven't had a claim on the RV yet, but I was encouraged by what i heard about Safeco. Amica doesn't offer RV Insurance.

I wonder if this varies by location?? I have Amica on my home cars and RV. The one thing I know they won't cover is motorcycles. For that they partner
with progressive.
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance