Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2020, 07:17 PM   #1

Intermittently working hydraulic Jacks and slides

Someone please help!! I ordered new motor from Lippert cause yesterday if we kept tapping on motor it would raise and lower Jack's, installed new motor and it works sometimes then other times it just clicks, if I wait a while it will work. I put the slides out earlier, no problem, went to put them in and click click click, about 20 min later they came in no issues. I have talked to several ppl at Lippert, one tech offered no help w the motor install and said it is hydraulic pump.. next time I call w the information for the hydraulic pump I get a part number which I research and realize that he has the motor I just paid 900 dollars for attached, so I call back, get someone else cause I want to confirm what I am seeing and return the motor and order the whole hydraulic tank, pump and motor...she tells me he gave me wrong part number and I need another.. I am wits end as to what issue is, checked all fuses, fluid, brand new fully charged battery and confirmed all connections are tight and no corrosion. I would normally go to my dad, but this camper is surprise for my dad, it was his brothers that passed in January.
Naticiass01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2020, 02:27 PM   #2

I would recommend you try to find a Mobile RV Tech in your area...you can google just that and hopefully someone will pop up. More than one I'd hope. Mobile techs are usually the best and brightest and branch out and start their own companies but you might want to do an online check of them before hiring them. Try to have all the information right at hand. A mobile tech will save you money over a shop too.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:07 PM   #3

Lippert

I second the other posters suggestion to get an RV tech.T
here is a high amperage relay next to the motor which could be the culprit and only cost around $100. You don't necessarily need a new pump assembly.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:15 AM   #4

My first suspicion is you have a bad (intermittent) ground. Sometime it connects, sometimes it don't, sometimes not so well.

For diagnosis purposes clip a jumper cable to the frame and to the pump motor and see if it makes a difference. If that seems to be the cure either remove and clean the mounting points for the pump or run a ground strap externally for a long term fix.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:09 AM   #5

I crawled into the compartment w the inverter and all the wiring and did find a ground, fixed that late in evening and next morning the mobile tech stopped by and checked it all out and found no issues, so we ran everything up and down, in amd out 3 times, no issues!! So I think we are good to go now
Old 08-07-2020, 06:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naticiass01 View Post
I crawled into the compartment w the inverter and all the wiring and did find a ground, fixed that late in evening and next morning the mobile tech stopped by and checked it all out and found no issues, so we ran everything up and down, in amd out 3 times, no issues!! So I think we are good to go now
Thanks for the report back. Nice to know what works and what doesn't. You will find that bad ground connections cause all sorts of issues with RV systems.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:03 PM   #7

KZ RV Club
This one was a bad ground. Mine was doing that a couple weeks ago and it was an auto resetting breaker. Tech said they get weaker after each trip and mine finally refused to reset. Mine was near the battery, replaced and all's working well right now.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #8

Glad to hear you got yours fixed as well, thank you all for all the feedback
Old 08-10-2020, 07:03 AM   #9

my guess would be the resettable breaker gone bad most likely 50 amp from the factory when they should have been 80 amp. have someone use the system and watch to see if the breaker trips. if so and easy fix any auto store will have the 80 amp breaker you will not need a resettable breaker at that amperage. good luck. there have been multiple tech bulletins on this depending on your MFG.

Tags
hydraulic, jacks, slide