Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #1

Internet Access in Fifth Wheel

I'm new to the Fifth Wheel world ( beginning in the spring) and I was just told that the first park I'm planning to locate to in the spring does not have a strong enough wifi signal to allow streaming like Netflix which I have a subscription to. At the house its no issue. But I'm learning internet speeds at some parks are not even close to the same quality at RV Parks. How do full timers access decent internet signals when they're at a park?
NikD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We've found most CG's don't like visitors to stream videos. Takes up too much bandwidth & if they find you're the one doing it, they'll take away your access. Plus, most CG's we've been to don't have enough strength for the number of RV-rs wanting to use it or there aren't enough transmitters for the size of the CG.

We carry a personal Mi-Fi to access the internet. Others use there smart phones as a hotspot.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cancel your subscription as you will never have fast enough service to use it anyplace.

And then get DirecTV or Dish network to use with a Trav'ler roof mounted dish. With HD & DVR service.
You can then download 4-6 movies at a time to watch later.

Or use Red Box at most Wally Worlds
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #4

Humm...so you are the one that hogs the bandwidth. Just kidding (kind of).

In some parks you can have the cable company come it and hook up your rig independent and bill you directly. That way you have a secure WiFi with much better speed. Check your park to see if they allow it.

I am not sure there is a cell phone company with a plan big enough to allow Netflix streaming over 4G.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
If you're full timing, either Dish or DirecTV are good. Dish is the only one that has a month to month plan that you don't have to pay when you're not using it though. If you're staying a year or better in one place, maybe you can get cable & broadband.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:19 AM   #6

I've never been to an campground or rv park with wi-fi suitable for streaming. Operators are rarely willing to flip the bill for the bandwidth necessary to support a number of concurrent users streaming video, especially if it's 'free'. I've been to some that you could at like 5 A.M, but that doesn't last long. In general, campground wi-fi is just ok for basic browsing and email.
You'll have to reset your expectations, or get a cellular solution (like mi-fi), but expect to pay huge dollars for bandwidth usage if you're going to stream video like youtube, netflix, etc...

Cheers!
PointyWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:04 AM   #7
IC2

The bandwidth at most CGs as said is marginal at peak times. Where I'm sitting now typing this is fine at 8:04AM. At 8:04 PM, I'll be lucky to even connect to the 'net.

Now, for my snarky response - if you want your outdoor experience in front of a TV, why spend the time, effort and yes, even money for a $$$$ RV and whatever it takes to get there? Yes, later in the evening for an hour or so, fine.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #8

I use my at&t WiFi hotspot, works great for my firestick and Netflix.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:18 PM   #9

FYI AT&T WiFi hotspot will eat into your plan if you stream videos. Depending on your plan you would only be able to stream one or two movies per month. If you increase or go over your Gigabytes it will cost 15 bucks per gig. We have AT&T for all of our I-phones and our home hotspot. Works great for computer etc.

If your doing the RV thing alot and want to stream videos then get a satellite!!
Brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:03 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Why didn't you know that?
Old 08-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: NO park has internet good enough to stream NetFlix. Not one. Even the one I'm at if I find you streaming NetFlix I'm going to report you for abuse of privlidge. (Of course I'll never find you doing it less you brag) and we have one of the best park-wide Wi-Fi hookups I've ever seen.

But please do not stream Net-Flix (or other video streaming service) less you bring your own bandwidth.. you burn about a gig an hour more or less depending on quality of stream.

Now: Verizon has the best coverage, though AT&T is loking very close,, T-mobile has the only unlimited plan but only 10 gigs per month high speed (After that depending on where you are grass grows faster.. I tested thery Generation 2 (I think) "Edge" conneciton this AM at like 3KBps (30Kbps) I used to do better than that dial up).

You can also go with 2 way sat internet. Pay enough and you can stream, But beware,, Excede and Hughes Gen-4 may not work with RV's. I-Direct does (expensive) and the older HughesNet does if you can find it.

Best to bring DVD's or have Netflix send you DVD's on the "Watch 'em and send 'em back" program.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittsnbirds View Post
FYI AT&T WiFi hotspot will eat into your plan if you stream videos. Depending on your plan you would only be able to stream one or two movies per month. If you increase or go over your Gigabytes it will cost 15 bucks per gig. We have AT&T for all of our I-phones and our home hotspot. Works great for computer etc.

If your doing the RV thing alot and want to stream videos then get a satellite!!
I have a shared plan with about 40 phones so I have plenty of extra gigs.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:26 AM   #13

KZ RV Club
I would be very careful using public wifi anywhere. Very careful!
3thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #14

yep cause some parks will ask you to leave.
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote